advertisement

The longest most boring song?

Amateurs! The version of My Favourite Things on the 3xLP version of Coltrane In Japan stretches over three sides. The bass solo intro takes up an entire side.

Not boring though.
Live in Japan is a masterpiece and has no place on this thread. I have it on CD. Never occurred to me that it might have come out on vinyl as it would require about 7 LPs and a lot of flipping to listen to the whole set. I think 'My Favourite Things' on there and the Necks and drone metal 'onelongsong' LPs are the longest tracks in my collection, but none of them are boring.

I consider Sleep by Max Richter to be the most boring song, nearly 9 hours of bliss/horror depending on your sensibilities

Sleep - Max Richter
Yeah, I bought From Sleep soon after its release, after trying the big Sleep, and that’s enough to make something like Music For Airports seem like nosebleed techno. Was tempted to get the long one again recently, but I’d only really be buying it as a thing to have.

I have the Sleep app that accompanies the music though, which has all kinds of long sleepy sounds stuff I can’t remember... I never got very far with it as I can almost always sleep like a sausage without any difficulty.

Never occurred to me that it might have come out on vinyl as it would require about 7 LPs and a lot of flipping to listen to the whole set.
I have the two Japanese 3xLP boxes for the July 11 and July 22 concerts. Though one disc is single-sided and another has an interview on one side. So all the music could be squeezed on a modest 5xLP release. But you're right. CD is a far more sensible format for it!

Anyway. Back to boring music : )

Its that ghastly Elbow song. The one with the strings that go der-ner-ner-ner, ner-ner-ner ................................. Ad nauseum; so monotonously dull that it actually seems like it has no end. I wail & throw things at the radio to stop it.

Even worse torture, is watching it being played live: the beardo singing bore is beige enough, but it's the herd of classical string players doing this braindead refrain- I actually feel sorry for, & the worst bit- them all sight-reading these 5 notes.. from sheet music. So complicated!

Sheet music indeed.

And next up who Elbow seemingly just copied: that appalling song by Verve. With the strings that go: uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uuuurgh.... uh-uh-uuuurgh, uh-uh-uuuurgh (ad infinitum). Argh! So long & so dull.

((How did UK indie kings go from The Smiths... to this dismal tripe In 25 years??))

And yup the string players... all reading this paltry braindead riff from sheet music. They all must be that stupid. Or maybe it's to keep them awake for 8 fkn minutes.

A fly in the ointment mind you with this snore song: the steamtrain whistle.. is an inspired addition.

Capt

It's a good job Adele doesn't/didn't write long songs but there are one or two hovering around the 5 min mark that are particularly tedious and were played everywhere for a while.

that appalling song by Verve. With the strings that go: uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uuuurgh.... uh-uh-uuuurgh, uh-uh-uuuurgh (ad infinitum). Argh! So long & so dull.

A nice earner for Mick and Keith, of course…

(Like an even dirgier 16rpm Verve, conducted by Herbert von Karajan.)

Little Louis - French Kiss
I’m not having that. ‘French Kiss’ is the bomb, and only kept off the top spot by a certain toe-tapping Belgian techno anthem. Nothing thumps like a 909…

If you isolate the individual drumbeats from this song and arrange them in a circle, it unlocks a cheat mode that allows you to pass through solid surfaces at will.

The 11 minute single version of Underworld's Born Slippy goes on far, far, far too long.

On the other hand I quite often listen to the 14 minute 12" version of Flowered Up's Weekender and love every minute. But that's perhaps another thread on its own.

And next up who Elbow seemingly just copied: that appalling song by Verve. With the strings that go: uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uuuurgh.... uh-uh-uuuurgh, uh-uh-uuuurgh (ad infinitum). Argh! So long & so dull.

((How did UK indie kings go from The Smiths... to this dismal tripe In 25 years??))

And yup the string players... all reading this paltry braindead riff from sheet music. They all must be that stupid. Or maybe it's to keep them awake for 8 fkn minutes.

A fly in the ointment mind you with this snore song: the steamtrain whistle.. is an inspired addition.

Capt
Anyone any idea what he’s prattling about?

I defy anyone to endure all 26 minutes of Focus’s ‘Anonymus II’ from Focus III. Starts promisingly enough with some groovy polyrhythmic classical rock and swiftly descends into endless and terrible drum and bass solos. So long, it faded out on side 3 and then back up on side 4.
I endure it regularly. Brilliant piece of music.

Canned Heat's 41 minute "Refried Boogie" on "Livin' the Blues" takes some real dedication to get through.

Is the first side of 2112 allowed?

I used to play my brother’s (and his air guitar) sometimes when he was out, but couldn’t manage it all when I tried again recently... and that’s without even considering all the Ayn Rand nonsense.

advertisement

Back