advertisement

The Leveson Inquiry Thread.

This is going to be an interesting inquiry. On one hand you have the bereaved families who have been hounded by the press who I believe legitimately have a grievance. On the other hand you have 'celebrities', who court publicity then don't like it when parts of that publicity don't match their intended spin (ie family man, no sleaze, etc), finally having the chance to bash the tabloids. The way some of these latter people are using injunctions to gag everyone by getting judges to believe they are being 'blackmailed' is just appalling.

The bottom line is that I hope that self-regulation of the media is finally put out to grass and there is some independent body, with suitable sanctions (such as the ability to stop them printing for a day), that will bring these companies to book.

CHE

afewbeers is a former NotW headline writer, & I claim my free answer 'phone hack.

I've been watching and listening to the McCann's segment (Madeline McCann) and have been absolutely shocked by the disgusting behaviour of the press. I've long felt that the press are a disgrace but this, for me, is beneath contempt. I simply cannot understand the sort of people that would publish those awful stories - which had no foundation in truth whatsoever - and I can't understand why such people are not only out of jail but also in well paid jobs.

It's so ****ing sick. This is not the wonderful country that I grew up in, although it has to be said that there are also plenty of good people about.

And yet nearly everyone colluded with it, politicians, the cops, footballers, slebs and those who paid their 30p to buy the filth ( even the ones who said they only did it to get the free Dad's Army' DVDs). Regulation or censorship is highly regrettable but morons who were buying it or flogging it seem incapable of self censorship.

Well that only leaves you and me, TheDec, and I'm not 100% sure about you.

The McCanns story got to me more than the Dowlers - who -alas- at least have the ghastly knowledge of their daughters killing. The McCanns have no such blessing - Im glad to see she has put at least a little weight on. How could one ever deal with those feelings

I agree people high and low should have fair rights to privacy in domestic matters. Even the ones I dont like still have families etc and children to rear.

The press are only one link in the chain of the way they behave. I havent bought a news paper for over 30 years. The question you have to ask yourself "who is interested and therefore buys the papers that this sort of crap and tittle tattle is published in" . If no one bought the news paper it would soon stop. I know at least on person who no longer buys the Sun because of its direct tie to the NOTW.

This goes back to evidence , does it matter if the evidence obtained , "was obtained illegally" , or "is factually correct" ...I side with the latter ,providing torture isnt involved.
I dont believe god exists in any form what so ever

You really do talk post the most appalling twaddle at times.

It may well be factually correct that you have a massive pimple on your a***.
Does that give the press the right to sneak around until they get a picture of your full moon so they can stick it on the front page?

Extra-marital affairs etc., may be of great interest to a lot of sad individuals with no lives, but there is no defence for the kind of crap the gutter press get up to.

Just because someone is a public figure who is famous for sporting talent, acting talent etc., does not mean they have to forfeit a private life. And their despicable actions around people like the Dowlers and the McCanns should result in a long gaol sentence followed by a ban on working in the papers for life.

Mull

but dont preach to me , tell it to the millions who buy the Sun. I dont give a toss about any celeb , but the brain dead masses do. See my post just above yours.

Mullardman, your post above is absolutely spot on. I'm still feeling shocked and quite nauseated by today's revelations about the McCanns. Had it been my child, there would be a bloody trail of dead newspaper men.

I did wonder today whether the victims of press intrusion could install outward facing floodlights to prevent the Paps taking shots.

Zener's point is a good one. These publications rely on circulation to pull in the advertising money. People actually buy this crap and they are colluding in the persecution of the McCanns, the Dowlers, the innocent landlord in the Joe Yates murder and god knows how many more. The best form of regulation will be self regulation by the morons who buy this stuff.
I see the Express is trying it on with an opportunistic TV ad campagne- an obvious attempt to pick up some of the morons who are going to bail from the Sun when they see the coverage of Leveson.

advertisement

Back