1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2017

Discussion in 'audio' started by Tony L, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Sonci

Sonci pfm Member

They look just as a column of professional subwoofers, they even have the handle, and the paint is similar..

2. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

For those who are may interested in measurement results from my room:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. merlin

merlin pfm Member

That's not nice - can you play around with EQ?

4. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

Not nice? Please show me your result also in 5dB steps. ;)

I tried DIRAC a few minutes ago, it sounded not as good as without.

5. merlin

merlin pfm Member

I don't have one anymore I'm afraid - used to fret over this all the time as I was involved in helping Peter at Tact many moons ago demonstrating the original 2.0 and 2.2x.

Unless that's a before and after (sorry I'm not familiar with the software), a good response is usually even and gently falling away whereas that (the first graphic) appears to be effectively flat with a significant suckout in the vital midrange area - where the music lives.

6. merlin

merlin pfm Member

I can show you my normal listening levels these days though - remarkably engaging, exciting and informative.

[​IMG]

7. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

The thing is that it looks way different when you use 10dB steps then when you use 5dB steps. In your case it was 20dB steps. With 20dB steps my roommeasurement will be a flat line.;)

I bet your room measurement with carma in 5dB steps without a EQ would be way worse then my.;)

http://www.audionet.de/apps/carma/

And buy the way, it is a horn speaker, they are usually not as flat as conventional designs. You can make the speakers also flat as a line, but you will lose dynamic and efficiency.

Also this is a living room, not a acoustic dead chamber. I don't know many living rooms which measure so good without a EQ.

8. merlin

merlin pfm Member

As I say I don't have mine anymore but I'm pretty sure there was no 10db suck out in the midrange - here's a Tact screen for comparison.

[​IMG]

Maybe. I bet what I'm listening to will sound more authentic though ;)

In truth, playing around with software teaches audio lovers a lot IME. You end up learning all sorts of information about wavelengths, standing waves and room gain that most have no idea about.

In my case that enabled me to select loudspeakers that I knew would acoustically work in my listening environment without recourse to sticking plasters.

9. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

Sorry I don't see a 10dB suckout at my midrange in the measurements if i take a middleline at -12,5dB.
    You can't look at the highest points, you have to take a middle.

Still your example is in 10dB steps which look far better because they don't show the truth as hard as in 5dB steps.

Even Tacts room has a 10db suckout in the midrange.;)

Why do you think that?
    I bet what I'm listening to will sound more authentic though.

By the way, may you show us some pics too from your stuff.:)

10. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Cellofan, by your -12.5db centre it’s a 7-8db drop in the heart of the mid-range. You might have simply got used to it (we all would) but you may be rewarded if you can fix it.

11. Nick1881

Nick1881 pfm Member

I'd say Cellofans measurement looks pretty good.

Here's mine, I do have some DSP on that bass peak but I can't measure after as it's done through JRiver, so this is without any correction. Both speakers together.
    [​IMG]

12. Whaleblue

Hmm, I must measure my system.

Perhaps we should hive off a number of posts here into a “Show is your measurements” thread? Mod?

13. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

Yes please do that, you may wonder how your room will "look like" when measured.;)

14. Whaleblue

I have done it before, when I had ATC 50s - and my room has a 38hz mode. My current speakers roll off around 40hz, but it would be worth a look for sure.

15. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

And important, in 5 dB steps. ;)

16. radine

radine hermit

I took delivery of a pair of Paul Coupe's custom Tannoy crossovers last week for my MG15s. The build quality is amazing and they sound as good as they look. I couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. narabdela

narabdela who?

Not sure I'd like to have a turntable that close to a Tannoy 15" driver cabinet.

18. radine

radine hermit

Surprisingly it's no problem, lid up or down. It probably helps that the deck weighs 26kg.

19. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

This +1

20. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Can we have more pictures of scruffy front rooms rather than these designer spaces to make me feel better about my gaff?