advertisement

System Pics 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to listen to some Dead in that chair

That is a great chair agreed....just happened upon your post as i was listening to 'Thats it for the other one' - October 1971, Auditorium Theatre, Chicago...just quite mind-blowing music...good to see there's some Deadheads on here

Are there? The real thing is far better made, more durable, superior leather and with real second-hand value. A replica wil be close to worthless.
I bought the genuine article 35 years ago, it is worth four times what I paid for it, and more importantly, has provided three-and-a-half decades of comfortable sitting. A replica would have been scrapped years before. Often, you get what you paid for. Can be the same with audio equipment, although less often!

Can you buy the genuine article right now, though?

What make and model is your screen? nice setup btw. I bet movies sound pretty good too :)

Thank you for the kind words. The screen is an LG 79UF950T. Pretty nice picture, really wanted an oled but none exist at this size and when they do, they will cost a bomb.

Surround still not hooked up, want to use an oppo bd105D, as a source and pre/pro, but thinking a marantz AV8802 may be a better way to go. Have SL2s for rear, axess and velodyne DD18.

Mario

Del monaco, have you ever experienced any issues as a result of having your TT in an alcove?

I wondered about this but it's always been there so I've never heard a comparison. It is a nice sound though. I have a Goldring 1042 in the cupboard but the Concept is better at detail. It's top can get harsh though, especially with some lps. I'd like to upgrade the phon stage when funds allow though.

What do you suspect I will hear with the turntable in the alcove?

Don't really know! I have mine in an alcove too. Things do sometimes seem a bit muddy in the middle but I think that has more to do with my speaker placement. I was hoping you'd say, "No, tried it in loads of places and it sounds best there."

Excellent - always liked Cyrus.

Thanks Rob :)

I'll freely admit that getting hold of the 8vs was done in a moment of alcohol-fuelled, late evening eBay madness. But you know what? It really is a very fine amplifier indeed, and as a result I've been thoroughly enjoying listening to it all of this past week (or rather should I say not listening to it?). Sure, it's brightly-lit and on some (although v small in number) recordings it can get a little over-zealous, but on the vast majority of stuff it really is excellent.

I have an Exposure XIII phonostage arriving this week so we'll see how things go with vinyl. Am also contemplating an uprated EE Minimax which has been offered to me but know very little about this phonostage apart from the fact NK is a big fan apparently. Very tempting nonetheless and perhaps a quality valve 'stage might match up nicely?

Certainly valves and vinyl go together very well sometimes. I will always remember pitting Rob's WAD valve phono stage against a Cambridge Audio and although the WAD is surely objectively worse it clearly had a more punchy fun sound I'd have opted for.

Certainly valves and vinyl go together very well sometimes

I'd agree. I've not always managed to hit the bullseye with regard to valves in any position in my rig (be they in amplfier or phonostage) but when it's been right - more by luck than judgement I should add - it's been quite wonderful. A Noteworthy Audio StepNote SuT into a Puresound P10 (and A30 amplifier) was a particularly nice combination.

On the subject of repro Eames etc furniture I have just read that from April 28th the copyright extension will be applied so it will be illegal to but any that are not officially approved. It is predicted they will shot up in price consequently. On the other hand some bargains may be had by retailers desperately trying to shift stock before the restriction comes in.

Some lovely systems in this thread :cool: Here's my humble setup.
24110950519_645da746c9_c.jpg

Yes, very nice - the system , not Whitby, of which I have no experience. :)

What are the speakers (I assume there are two)?

Thanks chaps & yes the speakers are Impulse H2s (x2!) They're fed by: Naim Nac 102, Hicap, napsc2, 135 monoblocks. Sources are Denon DCD 3520 cd player, Rega P25/Linn Adikt, Audiolab 8000T tuner and an occasionally an Onkyo tape deck.

Very very nice Steve although I'm a bit concerned with your camera...we've all moved onto colour you know?

OR are you "hiding" a florescent yellow and pink couch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back