advertisement

System pics 2013 - part II

Funny, I heard a Byron once and clearly preferred a Rega and Naim cd-player, sure the Ikemi too
Guess we listen different

I guess this is quite normal in this crazy game of audio equipment :)

Besides, I believe this is the case of synergy between listener, music, room, player, amp and speakers.

New CD shelves will arrive next month.

vaV1pYP.jpg

Adam, would you mind sharing your measurements? I'm thinking room width and space between the SHL5s. It doesn't look too much bigger than my room but that might be wishful thinking.

Also, I like the look of the rack. Is it a Quadraspire? That finish suits the room nicely

Adam, would you mind sharing your measurements? I'm thinking room width and space between the SHL5s. It doesn't look too much bigger than my room but that might be wishful thinking.

Also, I like the look of the rack. Is it a Quadraspire? That finish suits the room nicely

Hi Elephantears,
Which measurements would you like to know?

The rack is custom made by Audio Philar (http://audiophilar.com/?l=en), it's very heavy and veneer matches my ebony Harbeths and CD racks.

Hi Elephantears,
Which measurements would you like to know?

The rack is custom made by Audio Philar (http://audiophilar.com/?l=en), it's very heavy and veneer matches my ebony Harbeths and CD racks.

Adam, I was wondering about the width of the room, and the distance between the speakers. They seem to be sensitive to space at the sides and in between, from my brief experience, but I don't really understand what it takes to stop the 5's booming, since some users get them working fine in smaller rooms.

The stand looks really good.

Adam, I was wondering about the width of the room, and the distance between the speakers. They seem to be sensitive to space at the sides and in between, from my brief experience, but I don't really understand what it takes to stop the 5's booming, since some users get them working fine in smaller rooms.

The stand looks really good.

Thanks, I also like the way it looks.

The room is approx. 6x5 m, Harbeths are situated against its longer wall, one meter from the left wall, the distance between speakers is 2 meters. There is a dining table and large windows on the right. Speakers are situated approx. 90 cm from the back wall, when they were moved 60 cm more into the room the sound was better (particularly in terms of imaging and sound-stage) but due to kids I usually leave them just like that. No problems with bass, I would rather say that I'd like more bass, but it's quality is fine for me. My favourite listening position is about 2 meters from the speakers, but the speakers easily fill the whole room with beautiful music :)

Ah yes, 6x5m, dammit. I've suspected for a while that this is the necessary size. Another SHL5 owner on the WAM has them on an 18 foot wall firing across too. I guess I made a mistake when I bought this house.

Currently in an nice bright upstairs room with views of mountains and water. Getting pressure from SWMBO to move it into the basement where it won't "pollute" the house with music that isn't of her choosing.........:rolleyes:

room1.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

DSC06880.jpg

Great looking system .

Try spikes on the Xerxes and you might just like what you hear .

I installed track spikes on mine and a friends and the difference if huge .

echann

Are those Rosewood SL2's and Cherry Fraim?

Benn a long time since I've seen SL2's, look like they blend very easily into your room.

echann

Are those Rosewood SL2's and Cherry Fraim?

Benn a long time since I've seen SL2's, look like they blend very easily into your room.

Yes, Cherry and Rosewood. Rosewood wouldn't have been my first choice, but used SL2s are as rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods. Ironically a cherry pair came up a few weeks after I bought mine. Dang!

Having got them home I kinda like them. They are finished beautifully, as they should be at a 25% premium over the standard finishes.

Those SL2's look amazing, I do like the look of SBL's & SL2's but those are quite special.

Keep them where they are and move her to the basement.

Track spikes? Please elaborate.

Company from UK Track audio developed stands and spikes .

I have a custom design wall bracket with 10mm glass and went from rubber feet where the xerxes had no swing to cheap spikes which improved allot and then after installing 3 - 6mm track spikes everything just snapped into place and now the tt has lots of swing.

Friend had lfd spikes on his xerxes which sounded good and same thing happened to his table after changing spikes .

http://www.luxurie.me/track-audio-m6-spikes-inc-lock-nuts-set-of-eight/

Company from UK Track audio developed stands and spikes .

I have a custom design wall bracket with 10mm glass and went from rubber feet where the xerxes had no swing to cheap spikes which improved allot and then after installing 3 - 6mm track spikes everything just snapped into place and now the tt has lots of swing.

Friend had lfd spikes on his xerxes which sounded good and same thing happened to his table after changing spikes .

http://www.luxurie.me/track-audio-m6-spikes-inc-lock-nuts-set-of-eight/

I would be careful with spikes against glass with the Xerxes - the ones that come with the Upgrade Plinth are ok but these come with cups. I once used the spikes alone on an original Xerxes and the sound was over etched and fatiguing. Much better are the feet that come with the TMS2/3, these have tiny silicon pads on the bottom of the cups and interface much better with glass. This is what I use also on Naim Fraim. I would leave the TT as it is.

mat

echann

Your systems and room look very nice. I am envious!

Hon

The space downstairs is pretty decent too, just colder, darker and no view. Its a 12'x17' room with 8.5' ceilings and two fairly solid exterior walls. When I built the house I put in a separate spur thinking this might happen!

The benefit of the basement room is that I can set the speakers up on the short wall with no TV or cabinets between and have my seating a decent distance away from the speakers with space behind the sofa, none of which I can achieve in the upstairs room. Also there is a door that I can close. I think I've talked myself into it!

Echann, would you really want to sit further from your speakers? That would bring the room more into play, surely? Might end up in the position I am in, which is that I can't quite sit close enough to the speakers (in my case because of room layout) and so I'm further from the speakers than they are apart (which, in my experience, usually sounds worse than being approximately as far from the speakers are they are from each other)...

advertisement

Back