advertisement

System pics 2013 part I

Snow day listening...
DSC_0257_zpsdc573a65.jpg

DSC_0250_zps86b930c9.jpg
nice

Not sure about the manufacturer Dan, though those you've mentioned would seem about right. It was sitting in my late Grandmothers garage for years before I carried out all the mods you've correctly identified ; )

Thanks for back up info Jag!
I've been contemplating going without real Pres myself, problem was the phono part and the switching. I see now it's solvable.

Dan: yeah I know the 'danish' look is quite popular at the moment. When I got the unit it wasn't in a great state, and wasn't really suitable as a hi-fi unit, hence the fettling.

Topa: no problem. I haven't looked back on ditching my pre, give it a try if you can.

John: I machined both parts myself from stock. The aluminium bits were all machined on a conventional mill which was not fun as I could only work on it in the evenings, after proper work ; ) Here's the bar mid-way through
IMG_1082.jpg

TT ,Michell Orbe , SME V , Benz Wood
PhoneStage, Rothwell Rialto plus Rothwell SUT

CD, Clocked Marantz KI Pearl lite (Fidelity Audio)
DAC , Fidelity Audio SE150

Amp, Perreaux 80i

MD, Sony MDS JE770

Speakers, ATC SMC 19 wrapped in white

Mains Filters, Fidelity Audio NNU X Reference and Noise Ultra SE

Cables, The Missing Link and Audio Cable

DSC05161_zpseea37dc7.jpg

DSC05162_zpse0590dac.jpg

DSC05163_zps436af00d.jpg

DSC05164_zps78d70a17.jpg

P9 was retired last year in favour of a return to a Gyro, this time with restored Mission 774 and Goldring Elite. Vinyl sources invite fiddling and experimenting and you can't do that with a Rega TT, not without wrecking it.

For 2013 I've added a Rega Apollo R and Dac (they literally arrived yesterday) after recently seeing the pair at Tony's. I saw them and loved the looks. My old meridian 206 is now on its last legs and while I've been streaming for a few years, I've been missing spinning CDs and enjoying whole albums as opposed to track surfing.
Thanks to the ever helpful and efficient David Wren @ Radlett for supplying both the Rega and Michell kit.

I've also added some large plants behind the ESLs which balances the absorption of the acoustic foam with a little diffusion. Yes, plants can be room treatments too :)

Wires are a mix of diy and (shock horror) Gotham ;)

IMG_0139 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0152 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0141 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0158 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0145 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0154 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0161 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0163 by trebor1966, on Flickr

DSC_0096.jpg

The Quad 606 is a relatively new arrival...

DSC_0099.jpg

... as is the Gyrodeck

DSC_0100.jpg

Another plant behind ESL63s !

You can't see the bit that's made the biggest improvement recently, though; it's a wire, and it's quite simply amazing. :eek:

Looks spiffy, Rob.

Did you get the DAC to improve the Apollo-R or to mainly play around with computer audio?

Joe

advertisement

Back