advertisement

System pics 2013 part I

i'm sure everyones bored of it by now but here goes ....

8170284764_9ac943120c_c.jpg

but with the new preamp:

8215730213_c75822e7ba_c.jpg

couple of close ups:

8224747945_089505d1b4_c.jpg

8139386720_0e65a200b0_c.jpg

7170179457_4287690d58_c.jpg

RavenAC/Reed3p/Allnic Puritas + Rega Isis Valve
Allnic H3000V/CJ GAT/Premier 350
Avalon Ascendant

A sound I absolutely love but has taken 3 years or so to discover. Never thought musical reply could be this orgasmic and the only area that's significantly upgradeable really now is the speakers.

Hi Lotus,

I can't speak for others being that I'm American - but I'm not the least bit bored with your taste in gear - but why should I!, I've had the chance to listen to most of the components in your system, and adore them.

One of these days - when I grow up?, I wish to be just like you.
I've loved both C-J in tandem with Avalon since the late 80's early 90's, it's one of those sounds one never forgets.

You go Big Money, I'm not mad at you.

Cheers,
o_O scar

Hi Lotus,

I can't speak for others being that I'm American - but I'm not the least bit bored with your taste in gear - but why should I!, I've had the chance to listen to most of the components in your system, and adore them.

One of these days - when I grow up?, I wish to be just like you.
I've loved both C-J in tandem with Avalon since the late 80's early 90's, it's one of those sounds one never forgets.

You go Big Money, I'm not mad at you.

Cheers,
o_O scar

How sweet ! PFM is turning into a most huggable forum; audiophile peace and love is what it's all about ! :D

Very useful info, Tony, thanks. No UK-based servicing has blunted my interest in MEGs considerably.

Why? Leaving aside the thought that the manufacturer will probably know his product better than a service center, UK courier rates are ridiculous. If you only have to pay them one way and can enjoy competitive rates for the return journey from Germany to the UK, it may well end up cheaper than paying UK courier rates both ways.

Why? Leaving aside the thought that the manufacturer will probably know his product better than a service center, UK courier rates are ridiculous. If you only have to pay them one way and can enjoy competitive rates for the return journey from Germany to the UK, it may well end up cheaper than paying UK courier rates both ways.

I'd also add that MEG themselves seem very decent and professional and their kit is certainly built superbly and for easy service. I've contacted them on two occasions so far, on one they actually phoned me up to answer my question in more detail. They also stated that their charge for analysis of the fault issue is only 45€. I'm sure I'll get them serviced by MEG eventually as they are very complex things and I know they'd come back calibrated correctly. My concerns are more with the speaker's journey than the service as the cabs are currently mint!

Hmmm, MEG interest recommencing in 5, 4, 3, 2... :)

How sweet ! PFM is turning into a most huggable forum; audiophile peace and love is what it's all about ! :D

Hi Mike,

In the end, it should be above peace/love/mutual respect.
Should it not?. The reason I frequent here more then any other forum - is because it has a more universal feel to it, with music lovers of all races/walks of life/beliefs/countries.

And that my dear friend is " Cosmic ".

Peace - Mike.

o_O scar

My fourpenneth as a 57 and 989 owner.

57s have the best perceived treble of them all because they almost only do treble. Despite it being rolled off even more than the newer ESLs if it only does a narrow frequency range you listen only to that and nothing else your perception of that is generally good.

Similarly 63s have a better perceived treble than 989s because 63s do less bass than 989s and you get to concentrate on / hear the higher frequencies more clearly on the 63s.

A good test of the above would be 63s vs 988s or even 2908s (or whatever the very, very newest ones are called). My perception of 63 vs 988 is absolutely no real difference.

All sound is "all in your head" I guess.

This is a perception of built up over a decade or so of going from no ESLs, Arthur "two pairs ESLs" Jackson and listening to lots of others - like occasionally popping in on Roberts ESL journey, or looking at Tony's horrified face when realising 57s have no bass, Tenson's pre-Switerland 63 set up etc.

Definitely worth more than 4p ! That's an interesting take, Jonathan, and you may well be right. As a newcomer to ESLs, I was surprised by the bass on my 57s and can well understand people being quite happy with the whole seamless spectrum.

Stereo hasn't changed much in three years.

128ze.jpg

Sorry for the yellow tint (afternoon sun). The Lyra Delos and Mose Hercules are relatively new:

122lai.jpg

There was a big change to the power supply when I took the house off-grid. For the first year I ran everything off of the big white inverter below. But eventually I added some inductive opportunity loads that were triggered by a PWM signal. This caused occasional core saturation on the inverter, which in turn produced excessive harmonics on the AC line. To play it safe I put the sensitive stuff like the stereo on that Exceltech inverter.

So the stereo now gets a very clean AC sine wave. :cool:

123joq.jpg

My Attic System which I have to thank pinkfish members for the advice in buying and setting up:

687EEBD4-700E-4B2C-8245-837AE564F6C3-3400-0000064BE76D51BC.jpg

LP12/CD3.5/102/180/Napsc/SB/Kan2

Not the ideal positioning but it works well to my ears.

advertisement

Back