advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

Fifty-three year ago to the day, production began on the first episode of Star Trek, one that didn't air at the time but later resurfaced as an episode within a two-part episode. According to The Menagerie, the events we can see from The Cage — courtesy of the Telosian's thought transmissions — took place 13 years before the first season of Star Trek.

http://www.startrek.com/article/the-cage-rolled-camera-53-years-ago

insetredshirt.jpg

insetalien3.jpg

insetspock12.jpg

Why do I mention this here and now? The USS Enterprise was the Federation's flag ship, the most advanced starship of its day. This is why the USS Discovery is wrong, very wrong. And as JR has pointed out, the frilly collars were the style at the time, but for some reason they are not on Discovery, even though Disco shirts are.

However, I will continue to watch ST: Discovery in January, when new episodes air, because I'm a nerd and that is what I do. I will also watch The Orville because I'm a nerd and that is what I do.

Joe

i have to say, the past couple of weeks have been the best as far this new star trek goes.

Vuk,

I'm going to rewatch the episodes over the break. The last couple of episodes were pretty good and I think the preceding storyline was just a plot device to get them lost somewhere. If the show stays that good or better I'll be happy.

Incidentally, I met Melanie Phan, the woman who IS Michelle Yeoh's stunt double, on the weekend. Melanie is a master at the larger taekwondo club my kiddo goes to and she was at the belt testing this weekend. I was going to tell her that my mother served waffles to William Shatner at the family's restaurant in Stratford back when he was a Shakespearian actor, but I didn't want to appear all full of myself.

Sure, Melanie is a taekwondo master, Olympic athlete and stunt double, but my mother served waffles to William Shatner. He asked for waffles... with... extra... maple syrup.

Joe

Bob,

She's a young woman, she's very good at martial arts, and I presume being a stunt double pays well, making the skyrocketing cost of university tuition more affordable.

Joe

Fifty-three year ago to the day, production began on the first episode of Star Trek

And 53 years ago on Thursday I was born. Trek 'n me are twins. The day I was born the finishing touches to the Enterprise shooting model were being applied...it was rolled out around 12 days later.

Nic,

Let me get you a birthday cake for the occasion.

star-trek-spock-cake.jpg

Joe

Bob,

She's a young woman, she's very good at martial arts, and I presume being a stunt double pays well, making the skyrocketing cost of university tuition more affordable.

Joe

So that would make her a stunt double.

I repeat, why would anyone PLAY a stunt double?

Bob,

I do not know why. The great oracle at Delphi does not know why. Stephen Hawking does not know why. Talosians do not know why. Even Wile E. Coyote, super genius, does not know why.

Perhaps it is a great mystery that will never be solved by man, alien hyper-intelligent bumhead or genius desert-dwelling creature.

Joe

P.S. No waffles for you, either.

Vuk used a slightly wrong verb. English is not his first language, he mentioned at least once....

don.

it was joe who wrote that, not me -- but he was my real life neighbour once, so maybe a bad linguistic influence rubbed off.

Trust me: You do not want to be a graduate of the Paul R Academy of Nitpickers.

Joe

advertisement

Back