advertisement

Speakers: MUN17-3W

Like most things this has grown several arms and several legs.

I got round to clearing out most of the junk this week, freeing up some wall space to begin the process of boarding it out. I'd got as far as drilling the first section of holes in the blockwork before thoughts of insulation options and fire risks reared their head. I'm not going to insulate the external wall as there's no heat source in the garage anyway and I don't really mind if it's cold, however I would like to insulate the wall adjoining the house, as my office is the other side of it and it's cold compared to the rest of the house. The bedroom above the garage is also the coldest one.

Is it possible to just screw / stick a layer of insulated plasterboard on top of what is already there? Or am I asking for damp problems?

Some progress...

india gif images

Still lots to do on wall storage and racking but at long last I have reasonably nice area to work in. I might actually continue with the speakers at some point!

That's a big improvement over the previous photo!

I have completed the crossover build, just the wires to add to the mid crossover and then I can parcel them up. Things keep getting in the way but I hope I am not holding the project up.

I’ve just come across this thread after many months away from the DIY room. This looks like an amazing project and you are to be congratulated for taking on something like this. That budget!

A couple of things from my initial skim read -

Those Hypex 501 ventilation slots, are they effectively venting the main cabinet air? If so you’ll have several very small ports….

My heart sank a little when I saw you’d picked the Hypex power amps for mid / treble duty. I had some a while back and I really wanted to like them but, for me, they’re just clinical. In a bad way. An amazing technological feat but utterly soulless in the way they sound.

Like Paulski, I just noticed this thread. I've thought for a while that the Mun 17-3W looks like a particularly nice speaker. Of all Troels' designs, it's probably the one that tempts me most.

Welcome back to the DIY room :) the budget has got away from me slightly, I admit... it also needs a bit of an update i.e. I've wasted even more money!

Regarding the ventilation holes - I've made some mini cabinets which will house the hypex modules internally which are sealed off from the main cabinet chamber.

I have been thinking about the amplification myself. The hypex amps sound great to my ears however they are very powerful... and I tend to use reasonably big sensitive speakers. I'm using a SMSL DAC as preamp which scales from 0 - 100 and anything past 25 is deafening. It is remarkably clean when turned up but I think I could blow the windows out!

In other news, a circle jig has been procured which I think should be the last tool needed to complete the job. Well, maybe a planer and some chisels.

And I'd quite like a new sander.

And some rubio monocoat. For those who enjoy having youtube on the background this channel is quite addictive: https://www.youtube.com/@BlacktailStudio/videos

Welcome back to the DIY room :) the budget has got away from me slightly, I admit... it also needs a bit of an update i.e. I've wasted even more money!

Regarding the ventilation holes - I've made some mini cabinets which will house the hypex modules internally which are sealed off from the main cabinet chamber.

I have been thinking about the amplification myself. The hypex amps sound great to my ears however they are very powerful... and I tend to use reasonably big sensitive speakers. I'm using a SMSL DAC as preamp which scales from 0 - 100 and anything past 25 is deafening. It is remarkably clean when turned up but I think I could blow the windows out!

In other news, a circle jig has been procured which I think should be the last tool needed to complete the job. Well, maybe a planer and some chisels.

And I'd quite like a new sander.

And some rubio monocoat. For those who enjoy having youtube on the background this channel is quite addictive: https://www.youtube.com/@BlacktailStudio/videos
The great thing about the amps being external is that you will be able to potentially swap them out to try something else later on down the line. That said I know that the n-Core amps have many fans and do many things very, very well!

By the way, you won't be happy until you have a complete set of Festool power tools.... You're welcome ;)

A set of festool gear would be a bit special. I'm not sure the end results would be any different however... The tools are not the weakest link even now!

I'm one step closer to finishing the bass cabinets, having shaved enough off an MDF circle to squeeze into the valcromat.

And glued up the outer frame of the mid / tweeter cab. There's still a long way to go on this one but it's a start...

The slow progress continues...

I've becoming more familiar with the router and, after quite a few practice attempts, managed to route out the bass driver cut outs. Thankfully this was just about error free, with only some minor sanding needed afterwards and the fit is just about perfect. If I shim the driver properly there should be less than 1mm clearance all round.

I've also applied veneer to the front baffle. Ideally I would have done this last, however the valchromat insert made this more complicated than it normally would be. i.e. it would have meant having to route out the square baffle opening once the cabinet was already glued up, and fitting the valchromat as the final step which I wasn't comfortable in doing.

The depth came out just about perfect :
https://ibb.co/TH7T3Bt][/url]

https://ibb.co/NLqTch5][/url]

https://ibb.co/1QjzTJq][/url]

Big thank you to @S-Man for the crossover build!

They arrived with me today and look fab :)

That's the last thing which I could have blamed on someone else... so now just up to me finishing the cabinets.

Glad they arrived intact! At 5 or 6Kg for the 4 pcs I was worried they might get damaged in transit.

Great work. I thought my set of Ergo V11's were getting a bit expensive at £1200 for the bits . I now realise I am only a beginner

I do like the look of the Revelator 851 on Troels website. They look like you could have swopped out the SBL's and no one would ever notice. Be nice to hear a pair .

Last edited:
Thank you... I'm not sure spending a load on components necessarily equates to a better sound at the end of the day but here's hoping..!

I've attempted to copy James' superb example from earlier when chamfering the woofer cut out... I'm not sure I've quite mastered it:

Some test fitting, looks ok so far:

I've attempted to copy James' superb example from earlier when chamfering the woofer cut out... I'm not sure I've quite mastered it:
Looks pretty good to me. Will you be using T-nuts, threaded inserts or just naked fasteners/screws?

By the way, you won't be happy until you have a complete set of Festool power tools.... You're welcome ;)
Just be aware (and I am talking from considerable experience here :rolleyes:) that being good at buying Festool tools is not the same as being good at using Festool tools... Another problem is that Festool doesn't sell you more hours in a day to actually do woodworking as a hobbyist.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good to me. Will you be using T-nuts, threaded inserts or just naked fasteners/screws?
As the baffle is removable I'm going with nuts and bolts. Kind of nice looking ones, called button bolts I believe. They're round anyway

Just be aware (and I am talking from considerable experience here :rolleyes:) that being good at buying Festool tools is not the same as being good at using Festool tools... Another problem is that Festool doesn't sell you more hours in a day to actually do woodworking as a hobbyist.
But high quality tools make a significant difference, even for a beginner. I see three broad levels of quality: (1) hobbyist, (2) trade, and (3) premium. Unless the tool is intended for non-critical jobs, then nothing less that trade quality will do for me. I'm reminded of the first table and mitre saws I bought. They lasted all of two months before I bit the bullet and bought a Dewalt DW-744 and Makita LS-1013. Fifteen-plus years and countless jobs later, they still cut straight, clean and true.

Whilst it is easy to blame a poor workman for a crappy job, poor tools can also be source of constant frustration. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Reactions: irb
Agreed. This is so true of many things in life.

Having spent 30 years teaching technology with proper wood machines available its been a real pain having to go buy the same machines for home use now I have retired. I would rather spend money on a 30 year old Startrite / Wadkin Bursgreen table saw ,have to move it , refurbish it and then use it than buy a flimsy modern piece of junk. Same with the Bandsaw, Planer thicknesser, Belt sander, lathe milling machine. Did I say I liked toys to play with?

advertisement

Back