advertisement

Serving linguini. What do you use?

I like passata. I like pasta too. I'm not sure that I serve it, I just mash my face in the pan and slurp it all in. No tongs then.

At last. Someone makes sense of this confusing world. I now know where I've been going wrong.

Cooking for four could be fun. Maybe two boxes of wine each beforehand would help? :)

Yes, passata is excellent! Of course, there are many brands, some are thicker some thinner, some just taste better than others. But this is subjective. Here in Italy I usually buy one called "Mutti," which is also sold in Israel so it might also be in the UK.

Mutti, like other brands, also sells bottles of tomato "Polpa" which are small chunks, and toothpaste-type tubes of concentrated tomato paste. Both useful!

There is no "best" way to do anything in the kitchen. All a matter of what you like, what products are available, and so on.

For once I feel its you who is being obstinate here. It's a bit like suggesting that fresh pasta is always better than dried... (btw, I don't doubt that you know this not to be the case).

... so many Italian Mamas - in Italy - make sublime tomato sauce - in all its subtle variations - using basic passata di pomodoro purchased in bottles from the local supermarket. Using fresh tomatoes will give a different, but not necessarily superior outcome.

All part of the joy of Italian cooking.
No, that just shows a basic ignorance of pasta types and their uses. But do carry on, it is said to be bliss, after all.

I do remember reading about a test, probably on the BBC website, where a group of people were given some different types of chicken to prepare - factory raised, grain fed, organic etc to compare. All preferred the taste of the factory birds. What did the test prove?

No, that just shows a basic ignorance of pasta types and their uses. But do carry on, it is said to be bliss, after all.

I do remember reading about a test, probably on the BBC website, where a group of people were given some different types of chicken to prepare - factory raised, grain fed, organic etc to compare. All preferred the taste of the factory birds. What did the test prove?

you must be living yours at the highest level of ecstasy - remarkable level of arrogance and ignorance..... astonishing....

Same thing with 'grass fed organic' beef vs. grain-fed. A lot of people prefer the richness of the marbling with a grain fed animal.

Same thing with 'grass fed organic' beef vs. grain-fed. A lot of people prefer the richness of the marbling with a grain fed animal.

indeed all the flavour is in the fat.

At the weekend I had a dish (amongst other things) which was a take on steak tartar, with beautifully marbled wagyu beef dressed with warm melted beef fat, and olive juice amongst other things - astonishingly beefy....

advertisement

Back