1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Asheton, RIP

Discussion in 'music' started by sideshowbob, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

2. jimb0

jimb0 Jelly Roll Soul

Damn. RIP indeed.

3. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Very sad news.

Tony.

5. RSC

RSC pfm Member

Couldn't agree more - this is very sad news.

I saw The Stooges do their "Fun House" gig at Hammersmith in '05 (as I'm sure a few others on here did, too) - THE most powerful live band I've ever seen and RA was key to this, IMO.

Feel free to add a sweary word or two here for me...

6. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Sad news indeed. It actually made the Radio 4 7 o'clock bulletin.

7. dss

dss Musical Bons

What next ? Iggy advertising car insurance is it?

A bad thing for modern music, but thanks for the riffs Ron.

DS

8. dss

dss Musical Bons

Before that they had an except of Metal Machine Music, which you don't get on the radio quite enough is it.

DS

9. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

!!!

How sad, too, that he wasn't found for several days.

Time to spin Funhouse...

10. guybat

guybat [+]

Iggy at Glastonbury 2007 was the best/funniest TV gig I've ever seen. An honour to see Iggy and the Stooges together for the last time.

11. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

i do hope it wasn't suicide- my 1st thought as he made little money in/from The Stooges by all accounts, and having been alone for a few days too.. lets hope not.

also Mike Watt's Gibson SG bass rip too, along with a truck of Stooges gear in Montreal. but thats not important in context. but tragic all the same.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is certainly being reported as natural causes, I have not read anything to suggest otherwise. Nothing on Mike Watt's page yet.

Tony.

13. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

What a drag.

More and more musicians who survived the '60s are now dying before they reach old age.

A top guitarist and a massive influence on a lot of bands.

Jack

14. andy831

andy831 pfm Member

It does worryingly make me wonder sometimes if previous "substance abuse" does kick in and catch up with you later in life.

15. B-Diddy

B-Diddy now it's Biddy...'aight?

may he Search and Destroy!!! that sucks!

16. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

I hope not, otherwise I will drop dead in the not too distant future.

There again William Burroughs lived until he was 83.

Mind you, I think he was a bit of an exception.

Jack

17. DDave

DDave pfm Member

That really sucks arse!!! I saw them in Toronto last year & it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. A true riff monster if ever there was one.

18. edb15

edb15 pfm Member

Saw the reformed Stooges and they were good but it was in a big hall. I saw the Watt-thing years before and though it wasn't as good musically, it was a tiny club and I got to stand in front of Ron and soak in his guitar sound. Godhead.

Funhouse = Rosetta Stone of rock music.

19. RDG496

RDG496 pfm Member

Another band I was very late to (More to do with age ;-)) but I did get to see them at V festival in 2007....BLOODY MARVELLOUS.....very sad that its something I cannot experience again.

20. strummer

strummer pfm Member

I wanna be your dog. Surely one of the greatest opening riffs of all time. Drone does it for me every time.

I'm off to crank up the geetar & blast that one out right now, followed by a few bars of TV Eye

RIP