advertisement

Ron Asheton, RIP

Time to play the first three Stooges LPs very loud in tribute.

Couldn't agree more - this is very sad news.

I saw The Stooges do their "Fun House" gig at Hammersmith in '05 (as I'm sure a few others on here did, too) - THE most powerful live band I've ever seen and RA was key to this, IMO.

Feel free to add a sweary word or two here for me...

What next ? Iggy advertising car insurance is it?

A bad thing for modern music, but thanks for the riffs Ron.

DS

Iggy at Glastonbury 2007 was the best/funniest TV gig I've ever seen. An honour to see Iggy and the Stooges together for the last time.

i do hope it wasn't suicide- my 1st thought as he made little money in/from The Stooges by all accounts, and having been alone for a few days too.. lets hope not.

also Mike Watt's Gibson SG bass rip too, along with a truck of Stooges gear in Montreal. but thats not important in context. but tragic all the same.

It is certainly being reported as natural causes, I have not read anything to suggest otherwise. Nothing on Mike Watt's page yet.

Tony.

What a drag.

More and more musicians who survived the '60s are now dying before they reach old age.

A top guitarist and a massive influence on a lot of bands.

Jack

What a drag.

More and more musicians who survived the '60s are now dying before they reach old age.

A top guitarist and a massive influence on a lot of bands.

Jack

It does worryingly make me wonder sometimes if previous "substance abuse" does kick in and catch up with you later in life.

It does worryingly make me wonder sometimes if previous "substance abuse" does kick in and catch up with you later in life.

I hope not, otherwise I will drop dead in the not too distant future.

There again William Burroughs lived until he was 83.

Mind you, I think he was a bit of an exception.

Jack

That really sucks arse!!! I saw them in Toronto last year & it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. A true riff monster if ever there was one.

Saw the reformed Stooges and they were good but it was in a big hall. I saw the Watt-thing years before and though it wasn't as good musically, it was a tiny club and I got to stand in front of Ron and soak in his guitar sound. Godhead.

Funhouse = Rosetta Stone of rock music.

Another band I was very late to (More to do with age ;-)) but I did get to see them at V festival in 2007....BLOODY MARVELLOUS.....very sad that its something I cannot experience again.

I wanna be your dog. Surely one of the greatest opening riffs of all time. Drone does it for me every time.

I'm off to crank up the geetar & blast that one out right now, followed by a few bars of TV Eye

RIP

advertisement

Back