advertisement

Recording Cleaning Machine

I bought a Moth last year and it seems to do the job, but I don't have any thing to compare it with, although I saw some records being cleaned with a Hanni, which seemed more automated. However, it's not a fun job and I get bored quite quickly!

Santa brought me a LCR4. Streets ahead of the 16.5 that I grew to loathe. Damn thing was far too noisy and laborious.

Heartily recommend the Loricraft although the 4 is quieter than the 3 due to having a balanced double ended pump.

EDIT: Managed to clean records AND listen to music last night. No way was that possible with the VPI.

I suppose it all depends - for the relatively short time the VPI 16.5 is on to clean a few records I can cope. Obviously music is somewhat interrupted while the vacuum bit is running - but that's 10 seconds a side.

I have an Okki and it does an excellent job, but I also find it too noisy and have to use ear plugs since it's like sitting in front of a powerful hoover. Were I buying again I'd spend a little more and get something quieter.

I suppose it all depends - for the relatively short time the VPI 16.5 is on to clean a few records I can cope. Obviously music is somewhat interrupted while the vacuum bit is running - but that's 10 seconds a side.

Interrupted is an understatement. If I went through the trouble of getting it out of the box, I would normally line up 20 or so records to clean. That's a couple of hours of pointlessness as far as listening is concerned. The final thing to consider is the loricraft actually does a better job as well.

Had my Okki Nokki since Feb 09 and cleaned about 4-500 lps, so less than a quid a go at a rate of 2/week and it's not dead yet. Well worth it I reckon but if you're planning heavier workloads something like the Loricraft would probably be better value in the long term.

Chaps

Loricraft PRC4 now on order.

Ready to collect in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the information.

Regards

Mick

Interrupted is an understatement. If I went through the trouble of getting it out of the box, I would normally line up 20 or so records to clean. That's a couple of hours of pointlessness as far as listening is concerned. The final thing to consider is the loricraft actually does a better job as well.

Does it do a better job? I don't find that. I like the fact that my Loricraft is less noisy but frankly, all these machines do a very similar quality of clean. You'l find that the Loricraft is like the rest of them...unable to get the grooves fully dry unless you repeat the process several times. Personally, the Loricraft is still too noisy to leave me able to enjoy music while cleaning. It's less noisy rather than actually quiet.
In that sense they all have limitations....but they do get the job done. Posssibly the Loricraft is tougher, certainly it has never let me down. But then neither did the Moth or Nitty Gritty.
The interesting arrival is the Keith Monks...after all, they invented record cleaners for all practical purposes, and they are what the professionals buy. Hope the less expensive machines are as durable..or is that expecting too much? As they are all compromises, if starting again i'd buy the VPI 16.5.

"Recording Cleaning Machine"

I would but I don't think we are allow to post links to sound files is it?

Anyway, a question for those who have the RCM by the sound system - where do you plumb the drain hose into there?

DS

"Recording Cleaning Machine"

I would but I don't think we are allow to post links to sound files is it?

Anyway, a question for those who have the RCM by the sound system - where do you plumb the drain hose into there?

DS

They usually have a reservoir, which can be emptied occasionally. The Loricraft, for instance, has quite a small transparent bottle on the side of the machine. The VPI collects waste in its base. All stand alone,and are self-contained, except for a mains plug.

Too late for the OP, but I'm a big fan of my VPI 16.5. It does a great job. Yes it's noisy, but I don't have it in the same room as the main system so noise has never been an issue.

I thought you might go for the Loricraft Mick, you being a Garrard man an all. I'm sure it will give you years of good service. Enjoy.

A belated recommendation for the 16.5, Mick, which I've had for 12 years and has done about 1400 records. The Clearaudio my friend has is good, too (with reverse).

As many have said, though, they all do a similar job with varying amounts of noise and hassle. What's important now is....................(a) Working out the best 'production' method, and.........(b) deciding which fluid mix to adopt (after the freebie runs out).

It's taken me years to evaluate those aspects.

I've regretted a few hifi-related purchases in my time, but the VPI-16.5 isn't one of them. The only regret about mine is I had to carry it as hand-luggage home from USA years ago. It's bloody heavy.

A belated recommendation for the 16.5, Mick, which I've had for 12 years and has done about 1400 records. The Clearaudio my friend has is good, too (with reverse).

As many have said, though, they all do a similar job with varying amounts of noise and hassle. What's important now is....................(a) Working out the best 'production' method, and.........(b) deciding which fluid mix to adopt (after the freebie runs out).

It's taken me years to evaluate those aspects.

And your conclusions?

advertisement

Back