advertisement

[Photography] Raw-A-Week Mastering

Just waiting on a couple more missing versions and then I will post some links for discussion.

I perhaps note that I don't view this as a competition of any sort and the idea is more to see what different pictures different people come up with and, hopefully, this will be interesting and /or instructive. It is of course impossible by teh very nature of these things for there to be wrong or a right.

matthew.

we all see it as a competition and i will definitely be able to tell you what is wrong and what is right ;-)

vuk.

matthew.

we all see it as a competition and i will definitely be able to tell you what is wrong and what is right ;-)

vuk.

Don't forget, if you "win" you have to submit one of your RAW files to be hacked by the hoi polloi.

VS2008 is, BTW, awesome if only because it has Lambada Expressions that satisfy my inner geek.

matthew, i thought you'd had turned your back on anything to do with latino dancing ever since your girlfriend ran off with that spanish bloke in tight trousers.

cliff said:
Don't forget, if you "win" you have to submit one of your RAW files to be hacked by the hoi polloi.

we shall see about that.

vuk.

we shall see about that.

vuk.

Well those are the rules as stated here:

After a period of discussion the original photographer picks a favourite other than his own and that person gets first option at providing the next image. We could also possibly have an informal vote for the "winner".

perhaps its an option rather than a rule, although who goes next is a moot point.

I think we can take it in turns to submit an image depending on hwo wants to take part. For one thing there are often images that people don't want others to be messing with in much the same way that Radiohead don't want Girls Aloud covering their songs. I would completely understand why someone muight not want to offer an image to this process and indeed deliberately chose a picture of my own that, alhtough I like it, I don't feel really strongly about.

Secondly I think its important for this excercise to choose an image that offers some scope for different approaches. If it's just a picture that needs basic colour correction and contrast fixing then it would be a rather boring excercise.

matthew.

vuk.

Man you are going to be so humbled when nobody can tell which is yours.....

Ah! Now i understand! :)

Unfortunately I have a good idea which will be vuk's since he posted it to this thread for a short while earlier.

dan: if you stole my mastering concept, i will send tonya harding's boyfriend to your house.

vuk.

Unfortunately I have a good idea which will be vuk's since he posted it to this thread for a short while earlier.

Did it look like this?

stationvuk.jpg

I am just waiting on two more entries -- Cesare and a Mystery Guest. Unfortunately my Mystery Guest's monitor is calibrated for night viewing so we have to wait for it to go dark :)

Also Guy's entry was defeated by technical problems with e-mail alhtough he did send me instructions on how to recreate it. This is actually quite cool and reminds me of that conceptual artist chap who avoided having to do any actual work by making the artwork a set of instructions about how to make the artwork and having some lackies at MOMA actually do the leg work. (Can't remember the guys name though).

Or LISP and Prolog in my case. Albeit not since about 1986.

Ah, the 80s. The decade of shoulder pads and declarative languages.

I ought to investigate recent VS releases, since it's sort of my job to be on top of technology, but a profound sense of can't-be-arsedness is winning out at the moment.

-- Ian

cliff.

small favour to ask. could you please keep your images to a max width/height of 650px? it's large enough to view properly, not good to people who want to steal/print it and doesn't dominate the screen.

vuk.

advertisement

Back