advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't expect any change out of £1800 for the 8-16,
I may wait until the appear on eBay, or refurbished - but I do a lot of WA and extreme WA photography, so this maybe what I will just have to save up for...

Laowa are looking likely to release a 9mm F2.8 lens shortly for X-mount.
Interesting - not heard about that... will investigate, as I assume it will be quite a bit samller than the Fuji zoom.

Indeed, I had one for a time, but it was a bit of a PITA, so when the rectilinear 12mm came out I swapped to that. A rectilinear 9mm would probably be fine for me.

There is a Samyang 10mm as well, but its adapted FF glass, so physically quite big. I'm definitely interested in the 9mm, as long as the £££ isn't too high.

Both the 16 and the 90 are a bit special, I wouldn't expect any change out of £1800 for the 8-16, added to the fact that it won't take regular filters and will require something like the LEE SW150 system, it could be a very expensive purchase. Laowa are looking likely to release a 9mm F2.8 lens shortly for X-mount.

Both the 16 and 90 are lenses that I've always wanted to try. I had the 14mm last time and whilst it was optically superb, I barely used it. I've got the humble 18-55 arriving tomorrow (I managed to avoid temptation and not get a 16-55 during the recent double cashback period!).

I went on my first dedicated photography outing in what feels like ages today. I decided to head back to Linford Lakes Nature Reserve where I last visited in Spring 2017. Bird photography was something which I dabbled with last year and I'm not sure why I stopped. It's something which I hope to do more of in 2018. (Now that I've given myself permission to shoot whatever takes my fancy)

Chaffinch (f) by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon D800E / Tamron 150-600mm f5 - 6.3

Lefty

I might just do that. I've been a bit down on photography recently, coming to the realisation that it's not really possible to be much of a landscape photographer living in Milton Keynes whilst juggling a job and a young family. This has left me unsure of where to go photographically. I've never really been a photographer of people (except family stuff and a few paid jobs here and there). I do enjoy still life, macro, architectural and alternative technique stuff (ICM, multiple exposures) so perhaps that's where I'll direct my energy.
Lefty

Just a suggestion (and I suppose it really depends on why you enjoy it) but given your obvious talent I certainly wouldn't give up photography: if you need convincing, consider the reception your pictures get here.
I have no particular visual talent, so concentrated on the techniques of action/sports photography: recently it's been mainly village cricket, but the revelation (if that's not too strong a word) has been that using the big lenses for informal portraits of the players' families has given them (and by extension, me) as much if not more pleasure than any number of 'great' action shots. The ubiquity of the smartphone means that everyone has a 'family album', but people are still enthralled by a well-executed character study, especially if they can frame and keep it.

There was some discussion of printing a week or so back, and following a major clear-out/reality check I've decided that my Epson R1800 is just taking up space/gathering dust. Efforts to use cheaper inks were largely unsuccessful, so it's expensive to run but used to produce lovely 20x16" prints.
There's no box and it would be collection only from near Ashford, Kent. Pm me if interested - failing that it's eBay or landfill.

Just a suggestion (and I suppose it really depends on why you enjoy it) but given your obvious talent I certainly wouldn't give up photography: if you need convincing, consider the reception your pictures get here.
I have no particular visual talent, so concentrated on the techniques of action/sports photography: recently it's been mainly village cricket, but the revelation (if that's not too strong a word) has been that using the big lenses for informal portraits of the players' families has given them (and by extension, me) as much if not more pleasure than any number of 'great' action shots. The ubiquity of the smartphone means that everyone has a 'family album', but people are still enthralled by a well-executed character study, especially if they can frame and keep it.

Thank you for the words of advice / encouragement - really appreciate it :) I always used to be interested in photography, and even set up my own darkroom in my bedroom whilst at Uni for B&W printing. (Until I decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to sleep in the same room as the chemicals!) The hi-fi bug then bit and photography was relegated to a minor hobby. Fast forward many years and with the arrival of my first child, I decided I needed a more family friendly hobby than hi-fi (which for me meant travelling up and down motorways meeting members of this forum in hotel car parks buying and selling kit :D - seriously, I really enjoyed those days and having met some great friends) so I decided to take photography up again. The rationale was that I needed a good camera for capturing the first years of my son's life anyway, so photography would be a good family friendly hobby. Fast forward 3 more years and the reality is somewhat different from the vision! Yes, I captured (and continue to capture) my son's early years with the camera, but as is my nature, I needed to see how far I could 'push it'. This lead to an interest in landscape photography - the reason? It's hard and I like challenges!

As it turns out, nothing could be less compatible with family life than landscape photography! Sure, in the early days I was happy to go out locally and capture local parks and lakes, but as the hobby developed, that suddenly wouldn't cut it. It doesn't help that I converse with some amazing landscape photographers on Twitter / Instagram who live in beautiful parts of the country, have grown up children and who have more time on their hands! It's this comparison with their work and competing with them in 'competitions' which has lead to frustration. I get one trip to The Lakes / Peaks a year and it's hard when you see weekly / daily pics from some of these guys from these locations. I think the straw that broke the camel's back was the recent snowfall. It was the perfect opportunity to capture stunning images locally. Unfortunately, I had food poisoning during it and had to watch from the sidelines whilst everyone posted amazing snow filled images. This is what has lead me to where I am.

That last paragraph perhaps over-dramatises the situation, as I have had a chance to take stock, get some perspective and mellow out over Christmas. The result is that I am going to be more forgiving of myself this year, and try and put the hobby back in its box. I will continue to do it, but in a more humble way with less delusions of grandeur! :D (i.e. just do my thing with no pressure and enjoy it)

There was some discussion of printing a week or so back, and following a major clear-out/reality check I've decided that my Epson R1800 is just taking up space/gathering dust. Efforts to use cheaper inks were largely unsuccessful, so it's expensive to run but used to produce lovely 20x16" prints.
There's no box and it would be collection only from near Ashford, Kent. Pm me if interested - failing that it's eBay or landfill.

I already have an Epson P600, but that's a great deal for someone!

Lefty

New Year Moon
DSC00903-2.jpg

That's a lovely image Coda.

Another from yesterday's visit to my local nature reserve :) Apologies for the noise in this one. Had to push the ISO to 1600 as the sun was behind a cloud!

Robin by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon D800E / Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3

Lefty

That chimes with me - we do a lot of pet-sitting and it's great to give people prints or good quality JPEGS of their pets taken with a good camera / lens. They really appreciate it and gives some of my photography hobby a good sense of purpose.

Like the robin, Amar - these little chaps are tricky to photograph.

That chimes with me - we do a lot of pet-sitting and it's great to give people prints or good quality JPEGS of their pets taken with a good camera / lens. They really appreciate it and gives some of my photography hobby a good sense of purpose.

Like the robin, Amar - these little chaps are tricky to photograph.

Many thanks Ian - this little guy was certainly very skittish!

Agree 100% re: making other people happy through your photography. The memory that comes to mind is one shoot I did for a family. They wanted the photos as a birthday present for their terminally ill mother. She didn't have long and I heard that one of the prints I supplied took pride of place in her room until the day she departed. You guys are absolutely right - that is infinitely more satisfying than romancing your camera for no ultimate purpose. Thank you chaps. That has certainly given me a much needed sense of perspective!

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back