advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks fellas - just a shame I didn't catch him when he glanced across at me. Maybe next time. :)

I'd just headed up Steep Hill after spending time in LCE having a play with the Fuji X100F - made for an interesting comparison with the Pen F.

Thanks Amar - this road sign is in a village not far from our place, and driving past it I promised myself to pop back with the camera.

Pen vs X100F? This has been an itch to scratch for a long time now, in fact bar picking up a 100F at the recent LCE Photo Show in Lincoln, I'd put it off for fear of receiving open wallet surgery (again!) :D

I really like the F (what's not to like tbh?) and it feels just great - the very subtle additional girth to house the bigger battery is a welcome aspect and makes the F feel more solid as a result. I had a brief walk a few yards up and down the street outside the shop and popped off a few very informal shots. Also took a few indoors under artificial light. Sure, the Fuji's larger sensor is going to give more headroom in terms of low light/high ISO but the Pen claws that back with the amazing IBIS - because of this, I don't think I've had to go over 800 since I got the camera 8 months ago.

To keep a level playing field, I shot jpegs on both cameras for comparison (still have the RAW files though) and was very surprised to see the Pen F match the Fuji - or at least so close to be insignificant. The Pen gives a sharper image too - what ever anyone says, the X100's lens is soft wide open. Only once down at f4 does it really gain some bite - for example the little Panny 20 is sharper at 1.7 than the Fuji is at f4. This gives the Pen a couple of stops' advantage, a shallower DoF and just as much ability in low light where ISO can be kept low.

The 100F's desirability is - for me anyway - still off the scale though. I'm convinced Fuji coat them with magic 'buy me' dust. :D

Thanks Amar - this road sign is in a village not far from our place, and driving past it I promised myself to pop back with the camera.

Pen vs X100F? This has been an itch to scratch for a long time now, in fact bar picking up a 100F at the recent LCE Photo Show in Lincoln, I'd put it off for fear of receiving open wallet surgery (again!) :D

I really like the F (what's not to like tbh?) and it feels just great - the very subtle additional girth to house the bigger battery is a welcome aspect and makes the F feel more solid as a result. I had a brief walk a few yards up and down the street outside the shop and popped off a few very informal shots. Also took a few indoors under artificial light. Sure, the Fuji's larger sensor is going to give more headroom in terms of low light/high ISO but the Pen claws that back with the amazing IBIS - because of this, I don't think I've had to go over 800 since I got the camera 8 months ago.

To keep a level playing field, I shot jpegs on both cameras for comparison (still have the RAW files though) and was very surprised to see the Pen F match the Fuji - or at least so close to be insignificant. The Pen gives a sharper image too - what ever anyone says, the X100's lens is soft wide open. Only once down at f4 does it really gain some bite - for example the little Panny 20 is sharper at 1.7 than the Fuji is at f4. This gives the Pen a couple of stops' advantage, a shallower DoF and just as much ability in low light where ISO can be kept low.

The 100F's desirability is - for me anyway - still off the scale though. I'm convinced Fuji coat them with magic 'buy me' dust. :D

Interesting - thanks for the feedback. Must admit I've never used any of the Oly cameras (other than a brief play with the OM-D E-M1 II in store when I bought my D800E. - I was VERY impressed with its AF speed. Beat both the X-T2 and D800E)

Agreed re: X100 lens being soft wide open at f2. I very rarely shot it at anything below f2.8. Now that I've got another X-T2, I must admit to missing the little X100T. Sure, the X-T2 is the 'better' camera in pure IQ terms, but the X100T is an awesome little thing. A pocket rocket.

Lefty

'Pocket rocket' just about sums it up. For me it has the charm of a really good, small loudspeaker (probably why I like it so much!) in that the images it produces far out-size its tiny dimensions. Ok sounds daft as the sensor is the same as in all the other Fujis, but - I really can't put my finger on it - it's such a special thing.

My head (and a lot of heart) says keep the Pen as it'll utilise the other M43 glass, but 90% of the rest of the heart says 'don't be such a whimp - just get off your *rse, buy the Fuji' :D

Edit: I've popped a couple of images up onto my Flickr page if anyone want a quick nosey - they're not exactly scientific but hopefully give some idea.

Took a stroll around Woodland Waters this morning - it's about 10 mins drive from us, just off the Grantham Road. A really peaceful spot, plenty of birdlife too. Typically dull Jan day, but a sudden burst of sunlight pierced the murk - only for a few seconds - where I got lucky:

Woodland Waters by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Olympus OM-D E-M1/Olympus 40-150 2.8 Pro

'Pocket rocket' just about sums it up. For me it has the charm of a really good, small loudspeaker (probably why I like it so much!) in that the images it produces far out-size its tiny dimensions. Ok sounds daft as the sensor is the same as in all the other Fujis, but - I really can't put my finger on it - it's such a special thing.

My head (and a lot of heart) says keep the Pen as it'll utilise the other M43 glass, but 90% of the rest of the heart says 'don't be such a whimp - just get off your *rse, buy the Fuji' :D

Edit: I've popped a couple of images up onto my Flickr page if anyone want a quick nosey - they're not exactly scientific but hopefully give some idea.

The 'F' is a compulsory purchase, it's just such a lovely thing........ if I had to sell all my camera bar one, it would be the 'F' that stays. Yes, its a bit soft wide open, but the inherent sharpness of the X-Trans3 sensor makes it not as soft as expected. Its great a high ISO though....(makes up for lack of IS)

ISO 6400

Manchester Piccadilly Basin 2 ISO6400
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

ISO 5000 and F2.8

Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio a Fontana di Trevi 01 2000px
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Thanks David - I remember seeing these shots on your Flickr Stream, certainly impressive performance from the 24MP sensor. I did have an X-Pro2 for a while but for some reason never felt 'right' with it (even though its IQ is fabulous). I often think the X100 - in any of its versions - is a camera which has so much charm, it's easy to forgive its few (and getting fewer with each update) little foibles. Yes, it's a cliché but so many people I've known who own (or owned) an X100 feel the same. The Pen F has a lot of that too if I'm honest - just so damn nice to use :)

Gromit

A bit slow here. Photos 1 and 3 seem from the same camera as do 2 and 4. Which is which? All are fine but I prefer 1 and 3 as they seem to have more contrast.

Thx

Follow up. You can tell Mr. Perceptive is the photographer......he knows!

Gromit

A bit slow here. Photos 1 and 3 seem from the same camera as do 2 and 4. Which is which? All are fine but I prefer 1 and 3 as they seem to have more contrast.

Thx

Follow up. You can tell Mr. Perceptive is the photographer......he knows!

Yep - 1 & 3 are the Fuji ones. Shame I cocked up with the curves on the Olympus as it's made things look slightly washed out, especially the white of the car which has blown slightly - I'll have a go from the RAW files and post those up.

Took a stroll around Woodland Waters this morning - it's about 10 mins drive from us, just off the Grantham Road. A really peaceful spot, plenty of birdlife too. Typically dull Jan day, but a sudden burst of sunlight pierced the murk - only for a few seconds - where I got lucky:

Woodland Waters by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Olympus OM-D E-M1/Olympus 40-150 2.8 Pro

Gorgeous image Richard - also interesting results in terms of Pen F vs X100F.

Having lived with the X100* series camera for a good while, I think my favourite feature is the leaf shutter. Almost silent operation, no shutter recoil / slap and it gives very high flash sync speeds. The X-T2's shutter is positively clunky in comparison (the X-T2's shutter is actually pretty refined in absolute terms, but the X100's leaf shutter puts it to shame)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back