advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

Trade: Amar Sood Photo
I have tended to use the 16mm a lot for landscapes. This is probably my favourite at the moment. I really like the mechanics, aperture ring, clutch focus (using the flim setting for manual focus) and the exxcellent image quality. It complements the design ethos of the X-T2 very well. Over the last 2 years the mainstay of my images with the Fuji has been the 10-24 which is a great lens.

The F2 WR primes are a great solution for lightweight (23/35/50), personally I wouldn't go down the 18 route, though it is lightweight, I don't think that it's 'sharpness' will meet your standards!!!! I would add 16mm to that set, as it's a great quality lens, F1.4 and has WR, then if the inclination desires add the 90mm

Thanks chaps - I've always wanted to try the 16/1.4 and the 10-24 zoom. I previously had the 14/2.8 which was superb (and small).

Mr P. I previously had the 18/2 and must say I rather liked it. As you say, it's very small, but I also found it fast to focus and reasonably sharp (when suitably stepped down). Here's an image I made back in 2016 using the 18/2 with my old Fuji X-T1 at f5.6 (in retrospect, it would have been nice to step down to f8, but the sharpness at 5.6 is still pretty good) The purple cast is due to the fact I was using a cheaper 10 stop ND. (I rather liked it at the time as I thought it had a Velvia like quality) I might have to go and re-take this image with my Firecrest 10 stop ND and the D800E / 24-70....

The downside of the 18/2 is that it doesn't have WR.

Caldecotte Lake by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fuji X-T1 / XF18mm f2

Lefty

I am starting a photo a day again. so this is today's photo.

1st January by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

Pete

Good luck Pete! I wish I had the courage to attempt something like that. I think the best I could do would be a 52. In fact, I might just give that a go. I'll see how this week goes before making a call!!

In the meantime, here's more from the X-T2. My son (who hates having the D800E waved in his face, doesn't seem to mind the X-T2 so much. I decided to take advantage and grab a quick portrait. (quick being the operative word - I still had to bribe him with a mince pie!)

Lefty

Last edited:
Thanks Amar, I nearly started last year but I only remembered on the 3rd.
It’s been 2 years since my last one.
A 52 should be easier to do, go for it, or you could start a 365 on your birthday!

I would sit for a portrait for a mince pie!

Pete

Thanks Amar, I nearly started last year but I only remembered on the 3rd.
It’s been 2 years since my last one.
A 52 should be easier to do, go for it, or you could start a 365 on your birthday!

I might just do that. I've been a bit down on photography recently, coming to the realisation that it's not really possible to be much of a landscape photographer living in Milton Keynes whilst juggling a job and a young family. This has left me unsure of where to go photographically. I've never really been a photographer of people (except family stuff and a few paid jobs here and there). I do enjoy still life, macro, architectural and alternative technique stuff (ICM, multiple exposures) so perhaps that's where I'll direct my energy.

I would sit for a portrait for a mince pie!

:D

Lefty

Lefty, your photos are among the best on here and a true inspiration. I guess we all have times of lower opportunity or inspiration - and all sorts of other great stuff in life apart from photography but really you hit the highs and that’s what matters. Thanks and here’s to more great photos in 2018.

Lefty, your photos are among the best on here and a true inspiration. I guess we all have times of lower opportunity or inspiration - and all sorts of other great stuff in life apart from photography but really you hit the highs and that’s what matters. Thanks and here’s to more great photos in 2018.

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement Ian - I really appreciate it! Happy New Year :)

Lefty

Absolutely this. :)

Starlings at Otmoor nature reserve, nr Oxford at dusk yesterday. A wonderful sight.

Happy 2018 and looking forward to another year of interesting and inspiring photos on this thread!

Starlings2 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Ian - that's a beautiful image :) It must have been quite a sight!

Absolutely this. :)

I propose Lefty is given the honour of starting the 2018 PAW thread...

Only just logged in and seen this - thank you all so much for the kind words!! I really appreciate it, especially as it was all of you who inspired me to pick up a camera in the first place! (Not to mention all of the gear acquisition syndrome that came with it :D) Seriously though, you've made my day. Thanks again :)

2018 PAW coming right up - Happy New Year chaps!

Lefty

Happy New Year to all on PFM :)

Thought I'd start the 2018 PAW thread with a little series of abstract monochrome images I took in 2017. These were taken at different times of the year with different cameras and indeed on different formats (one of the images was shot on film). It wasn't until late in 2017 (with a large glass of wine in the hand) that I decided to put these images together. I was rather pleased with the way the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I hope to take more of these types of images in 2018.

I call it 'Shapes'

Apex
by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fuji X-T2 / XF16-55mm f2.8

Abstract by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon D800E / Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

Near / Far by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon F80 / Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 / Kodak Tri-X 400

BEAM by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fuji X100T

Lefty

Thanks chaps - I've always wanted to try the 16/1.4 and the 10-24 zoom. I previously had the 14/2.8 which was superb (and small).
Mr P. I previously had the 18/2 and must say I rather liked it. As you say, it's very small, but I also found it fast to focus and reasonably sharp (when suitably stepped down). Here's an image I made back in 2016 using the 18/2 with my old Fuji X-T1 at f5.6 (in retrospect, it would have been nice to step down to f8, but the sharpness at 5.6 is still pretty good) The purple cast is due to the fact I was using a cheaper 10 stop ND. (I rather liked it at the time as I thought it had a Velvia like quality) I might have to go and re-take this image with my Firecrest 10 stop ND and the D800E / 24-70....
Lefty

The 18mm f2 is the only Fuji prime lens I have sold on, as I bought the 16-50 zoom as a package with my spare X-E1 body, and needed to release funds to justify my indulgence, looking back on pictures I took with it, i maybe shouldn't have let it go, and i sold on the 16-50 when I decided to go prime only.

Then things went a bit out of control! The 35mm f1.4 is a superb 'standard' lens, and then my 27mm f2.8 lives on my X-E2 to give me a 'pocket' camera. I then bout the 16mm f1.4, and it is jaw droppingly superb for IQ. Until recently everything beyond 35mm was Zeiss, I have a 50mm f1.4 which, in it's day was supposed to be the sharpest lens on the planet, but I suspect it isn't now. I also have a Zeiss 135mm f2.8 and a couple of Russians - Helio 58mm f2, and Jupiter-9 which is 85mm f2 - I also have a Zeiss designed, but Yashica branded 200mm f4, used only occasionally. I decided that I liked the 85mm focal length for portraiture, so I've treated myself to the 90mm f2 from Fuji, and that is up there with the 16mm for IQ - completely faultless. My extreme wide is a 12mm Samyang, but I hear rumours of a Fuji 8-16, so my spending may not yet be over...

I've felt no inclination to chase the mega pixels and go back to full frame DSLRs - I can exhibit images up to 120cm x 80cm from the Fuji 16MP sensor, so even 24MP (where I may end up with an X-E3) is possibly more than I really need.

Then things went a bit out of control! The 35mm f1.4 is a superb 'standard' lens, and then my 27mm f2.8 lives on my X-E2 to give me a 'pocket' camera. I then bout the 16mm f1.4, and it is jaw droppingly superb for IQ. Until recently everything beyond 35mm was Zeiss, I have a 50mm f1.4 which, in it's day was supposed to be the sharpest lens on the planet, but I suspect it isn't now. I also have a Zeiss 135mm f2.8 and a couple of Russians - Helio 58mm f2, and Jupiter-9 which is 85mm f2 - I also have a Zeiss designed, but Yashica branded 200mm f4, used only occasionally. I decided that I liked the 85mm focal length for portraiture, so I've treated myself to the 90mm f2 from Fuji, and that is up there with the 16mm for IQ - completely faultless. My extreme wide is a 12mm Samyang, but I hear rumours of a Fuji 8-16, so my spending may not yet be over...

Both the 16 and the 90 are a bit special, I wouldn't expect any change out of £1800 for the 8-16, added to the fact that it won't take regular filters and will require something like the LEE SW150 system, it could be a very expensive purchase. Laowa are looking likely to release a 9mm F2.8 lens shortly for X-mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back