advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2017 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may interest some of you. Its on until 1 October.

Celebrating British spirit: Burberry’s photography exhibition at Old Sessions House, London (22 Clerkenwell Green, EC1)

This weekend at London Fashion Week, Burberry opened the doors to Old Sessions House, the brand’s new London home, coinciding with the launch of their latest collection and a major photographic exhibition, ‘Here We Are’ curated by Burberry’s President and Chief Creative Officer, Christopher Bailey. With work from over 30 photographers displayed over three floors, the exhibition celebrates the art of social portraiture and British spirit.

LUX Digital Editor Millie Walton speaks to co-curator Lucy Moore, director of Claire de Rouen Books about the works on display and the significance of space.

Millie Walton: Why hold the exhibition now? Is the timing significant?
Lucy Moore: At a time when we all create and consume images at the fastest rate in human history, I think the works in this exhibition, mostly made in the pre-digital age, have a particular power and resonance. It’s also an interesting moment to think about ‘British-ness’ and what it might mean. I hope the exhibition offers up many possible answers.
Follow LUX on Instagram: the.official.lux.magazine
MW: The exhibition aims to explore the British way of life and character through photography. What time span does it cover and how important was the geographic location of the photographs to you as a curator?
LM: The earliest work is from circa 1935 and is by Bill Brandt. The historical aspect of the exhibition runs up to about the mid-1980s, with work by Tom Wood, Jo Spence and Homer Sykes, for example. There are also two presentations by contemporary photographers Alasdair McLellan and Gosha Rubchinskiy. McLellan is showing an extensive series of works and he has also shot the campaign for Burberry’s September collections. Rubchinskiy was commissioned especially by Burberry to create work for this exhibition.

Queen Elizabeth II’s Silver Jubilee,

20170924_2479_1024_f.jpg

20170924_2388_1024_f.jpg

Thanks Tony. Very difficult photographing airshows, all the clutter and people, and I haven't got one of those enormous zoom lenses that are much in evidence there.

20170924_2490_1024.jpg

Here's one of some Spitfires, they had 13 in the air at once in a most beautifully choreographed and very thrilling display. The trouble is that Spitfires are quite small, and the sky is very big!

I like the way the sun just caught each of them at the top of their curve. Somebody remarked that it looks like a timelapse, but it is actually 5 aeroplanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back