advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2017 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all.

For fear of dominating the thread with aeroplanes, I dug out some frames from my last visit to an air show at Duxford. It must be about 20 years ago, it was a Spitfire anniversary, and it featured the largest number of Spitfires to have been in the air together since the 1940s, 16 in all, which must be about a squadron's worth. Since then, of course, the numbers of new restorations has ensured that such displays are quite common.

No aesthetic or technical prowess here, just interest for those who are interested. They made just one pass over the airfield in a formation before splitting into 4s and passing back over at low level and some speed. This must have been an insurance issue, in contrast to this weekend's display where the sky was full of brilliantly choreographed Spitfires for a good 20 minutes or so.

Scan-140506-0205_1024.jpg

Scan-140506-0199_1024.jpg

Scan-140506-0196_1024.jpg

This last one shows P51D 'Big Beautiful Doll' coming in, the crowd and the IWM Land Warfare Hall in the background. This plane was written of 3 or 4 years ago in a mid-air collision during one of the displays here. Her control lines were cut by the wingtip of another plane, and she went nose first into a field of wheat about 100 yards from where I took this photograph. The pilot made a remarkable low-level parachute jump and was almost uninjured, I think the horizontal stabiliser caught his wrist on the way past, the other plane landed safely.

Scan-140506-0207_1024_f.jpg

All Nikon F3, HP5 (very grainy) processed in D76 or ID11, scanned with a Nikon Coolscan IVED and tidied up in Photoshop.

Fantastic photos and very interesting back stories, eternumviti. To hear and see one Spitfire fly over is something, to see & hear all those together must have been amazing! I'm loving those low level pass shots :cool:

Nice pics eternumviti. This might be of interest to you. It was an amazing day in 2015 with around 40 Spitfires and Hurricanes. I was one of around 32,000 spectators there!

https://www.goodwood.com/sports/fly...69.867169348.1506422842-2002908504.1473601532

Fantastic photos. How I would have loved to have seen it - I was actually at the revival that year, but couldn't get back for this. I think it is the occasion when Prince Harry gave up his ride to Tom 'Ginger' Neil (in one of the photos), who was actually based just down the road from me at RAF North Weald during the battle - the gate guardian Hurricane there is in his colours.

What an experience, many thanks for the link.

Just love those aircraft images eternumvuti, the curving Spitfires especially. Tugs at the heart strings, my late uncle Jack met his maker in a MK 1a Spitfire in May 1940.

Thanks for the compliment Gromit.
Been a fair while since I enjoyed myself with a camera - the 5D kit and multiple lenses was killing the ambition - Fuji has fixed all that in one go..
37312216311_1022ba51ec_c.jpg
[/url]DSCF3997 by SPH2701, on Flickr[/IMG]

I just keeps getting better - superb John :)

Here's one from a lunchtime walk earlier today. Taking advantage of the mist that hung around for most of the day:

One by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon D800E / Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back