advertisement

No More Meat.

Humans are not designed for eating meat on a daily basis. Nor for drinking milk
Milk, I agree, but not for meat. The great apes have a very different chest to humans, allowing much more room for the intestines. I have read that they use so much of their blood for digestion that they could not have our oxygen hungry brain.

Orangutans live on a high sugar, low protein fruit diet and are known to augment their protein by eating small monkeys. There is very little vegetable protein available in the tropical jungle.
We are only capable of vegan on a cooked diet.

The solution is to ban factory farming. Prices would of course go way up but that would force the issue and make it something eaten occasionally rather than daily.
This! How hard can it be? A no brainer IMO but industry forces are strong…

Partially true, not entirely. The most common stun method is gas stunning, where an asphyxiant gas mix (N2 and CO2, minimal oxygen) renders the birds unconscious and also brain dead,

It will depend on the UK killing plant, but electrical stunning is or was until recently, the norm no matter the vertebrate.
It has been a major route of attack from the antis claiming, rightly or wrongly, that electrical stunning is not guaranteed, and when conducted by a worker with stunning equipment, never guranteed.

It will depend on the UK killing plant, but electrical stunning is or was until recently, the norm no matter the vertebrate.
It has been a major route of attack from the antis claiming, rightly or wrongly, that electrical stunning is not guaranteed, and when conducted by a worker with stunning equipment, never guranteed.
You were talking about chicken, and I replied. I really did ought to know about the majority of the chickens slaughtered in the UK, you know what I do for a living. Electrical stunning has not been the norm for chickens for quite some time now. That's why when we had the Great CO2 Gas Shortage of 2021 (fertiliser prices went down, operating costs went up, CO2 no longer produced as a by product) it was such a massive meat industry problem.

No livestock industry?

No cream, no cheese, no ice-cream, no yoghourt, no eggs, no cakes, no Yorkie pud's............................................ the list is beyond endless.

Also beyond endless are the baked items that have extended shelf-lives courtesy of "mono- and di- glyciderides of fatty acids" that will use the greatest, cheapest source of tri-gylcerides as a raw material. That is animal fats, of which there is an abundance. Get rid of them and prices for baked goods will soar - either the glycerides will be made from plant fats or they will be dropped from recipes and shelf-lives will shrink..

That's why when we had the Great CO2 Gas Shortage of 2021 (fertiliser prices went down, operating costs went up, CO2 no longer produced as a by product)

That was for pig slaughter.
Carbon dioxide is a by-product of fertiliser manufacture, which was the major source for stunning pigs.

It matters not - stun, slit the throat, bleed out.............................

That was for pig slaughter.
Carbon dioxide is a by-product of fertiliser manufacture, which was the major source for stunning pigs.

It matters not - stun, slit the throat, bleed out.............................
FFS Vinny, it was and is used for chicken slaughter as well, as I said. I do remember, and I was in an actual chicken slaughtering plant that was directly affected at the time. I do know what was happening in that actual factory at that actual time, because I had responsibility for what was happening. I do also know that it came from the fertiliser industry, as funnily enough it was a matter of great concern for us at the time. As for "it matters not" yes it does for chickens. I've already told you that a CO2 stunned chicken is brain dead when it exits the gas chamber. There is no possibility of it coming round.

My kids watched programmes on netflix and now decided to be plant based, who would have known Netflix has actually cost me £££££..

No livestock industry?

No cream, no cheese, no ice-cream, no yoghourt, no eggs, no cakes, no Yorkie pud's............................................ the list is beyond endless.

Also beyond endless are the baked items that have extended shelf-lives courtesy of "mono- and di- glyciderides of fatty acids" that will use the greatest, cheapest source of tri-gylcerides as a raw material. That is animal fats, of which there is an abundance. Get rid of them and prices for baked goods will soar - either the glycerides will be made from plant fats or they will be dropped from recipes and shelf-lives will shrink..
No, just no 'factory' livestock industry.

My wife became vegan, and I became sort of vegan by osmosis… I couldn’t be bothered to cook different food, and giving up meat/dairy was no big deal, just as giving up cigarettes had been 20 years previously. Giving up chocolate, now that is difficult :eek:
I have one piece of dark chocolate every day
For medicinal purposes only
:)

Having read all of the above it seems that a pheasant or partridge or wild boar that has been shot after a few years in the country is more humane than anything else. Luckily in Italy these are all available, and before I get accused of being "landed gentry," shooting is a popular sport here, not just for the rich.

Having read all of the above it seems that a pheasant or partridge or wild boar that has been shot after a few years in the country is more humane than anything else. Luckily in Italy these are all available, and before I get accused of being "landed gentry," shooting is a popular sport here, not just for the rich.
Here in the UK game birds are imported in vast numbers (~50 million annually) from overseas factory farms where they're bred in cages so they can be released and shot.

Most of the carcasses from the shoots aren't even consumed, they're just burnt. My folks lived in a Hampshire village until recently and during the shooting season would be inundated with pheasant carcasses from beaters who hated seeing the waste.

It's bullshit.

advertisement

Back