advertisement

No More Meat.

Why do you think that? Are you a doctor? Have you done any tests on this chap? C'mon, this is just plain nonsense.

Humans are not designed for eating meat on a daily basis. Nor for drinking milk. We have adapted to it a little bit. But our bodies still respond to vegetables a lot better. And we don't need supplements, just a healthy balanced diet (with beans, nuts, etc.). It's the industry that tries to tell/sell us otherwise, because there's lots of money that can be made.
yes they had many many hundreds of tests over many years

awkward has put his finger on it

But a few years ago we were both found to be B12 deficient, and have to have injections regularly as our bodies had lost the ability to absorb it from food. There was no understanding of this 50 years ago, so we found out too late. Be warned

bas ... have you read this research paper ? its a from reputable source

While several studies have shown that a vegan diet (VD) decreases the risk of cardiometabolic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, obesity, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, veganism has been associated with adverse health outcomes, namely, nervous, skeletal, and immune system impairments, hematological disorders, as well as mental health problems due to the potential for micro and macronutrient deficits.

Mid-80s for me, so more than half a lifetime ago. I still eat fish occasionally and I can’t quite explain why. I still eat dairy products. As such it is just meat/poultry I don’t eat, and much of it comes from sheer revulsion. A butchers shop looks like a road accident to me. No way in hell could I prepare or cook meat, and I never have done. Even when I ate it I never went further than heating up a pie or whatever at home, I just ate it at cafes or wherever, or a kebab when blind drunk.

There has always been a animal rights aspect to it too. I know I couldn’t kill an animal and I’m just not cynical or hypocritical enough to pay someone else too. That said it still doesn’t explain fish, though that is limited to fish ‘n’ chips or a can of tuna, nothing else. I should really give fish up too, but every now and again I just feel I need it. I have little if any interest in cooking so I basically live on simple pasta dishes, beans on toast, musli, fruit, nuts etc. I don’t think it is especially healthy for me, but it is what it is. It just isn’t an interest area.

meat ok Fish I cannot stand the smell off in bulk. The local fishmongers turns my stomach over when I pass by. I do like Kippers but they have a different non fishy smell. And fish & chips shop fish ok - but then thats some thing I wont afford as cost too much these days. I used to like Skate- where has all that fish gone?

I think I'm a flexitarian (though I've cut out red meat). The biggest benefit has been weight loss (and associated benefits).

I should really give fish up too, but every now and again I just feel I need it
Funny this, my girlfriend has this too. Once every two years she needs 2-3 slices of dried beef (20 grams or so, not because it lies around, she buys it intentionally) and with this she’s ok for the two following years. She can’t explain it.

bas ... have you read this research paper ? its a from reputable source

While several studies have shown that a vegan diet (VD) decreases the risk of cardiometabolic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, obesity, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, veganism has been associated with adverse health outcomes, namely, nervous, skeletal, and immune system impairments, hematological disorders, as well as mental health problems due to the potential for micro and macronutrient deficits.
Interesting! I do miss the notion of higher risk of cancer due to (red) meat, but soit. I think the basis is looking to what we have been for hundred thousands of years. We have been mainly eating vegetables and sometimes meat. So that’s what our body has been adapted to. Nowadays we eat more than 35 kgs meat per year. We never did that and so it leads to problems. Completely vegan is the other way round. Maybe the optimum is meat once a week. Or eggs. Most important: meat shouldn’t be on our daily menu.

Interesting! I do miss the notion of higher risk of cancer due to (red) meat, but soit. I think the basis is looking to what we have been for hundred thousands of years. We have been mainly eating vegetables and sometimes meat. So that’s what our body has been adapted to. Nowadays we eat more than 35 kgs meat per year. We never did that and so it leads to problems. Completely vegan is the other way round. Maybe the optimum is meat once a week. Or eggs. Most important: meat shouldn’t be on our daily menu.
Chimpanzees, our closest biological relatives, eat meat every month or so. We've all seen the Life On Earth episode where they set up a hunting party and kill some smaller monkeys that they later rip to pieces and eat. This is going to be in addition to ad hoc consumption of insects and other invertebrates that may come within reach' just like most omnivorous mammals. I remember when I had a semi-tame fox that used to come in the garden. I caught a moth at the window, killed it and put it down for the fox. Nom nom nom, down it went.
I believe that humans need some meat now and again, but not much and certainly not every day. As you say that's what the hunter gatherers evolved to consume a few hundreds of thousands of years ago. If they had an animal they would eat it, on days when they hadn't they would live on vegetables and fruits of various descriptions. I know that some indigenous people in the tropics get most of their calories from bananas and sago, and they top it up with fish, lizards and hunted animals when they can.

Omnivore here that has often considered going veggie. We do eat a lot less than we used to and TBH could easily cut it back to once or twice a week. Regardless of any that it is for certain, in it's current guise, deadly to the planet. Latest figures show it is nearly 3 times as bad as flying. Sadly the 'industry' still thinks we should be ramping it up(see below)! The solution is to ban factory farming. Prices would of course go way up but that would force the issue and make it something eaten occasionally rather than daily.

I have had periods of many years when I don’t touch meat or fish, and then lapse back into being a carnivore - I’ve been a lapsed vegetarian for the past two years, after about a five year run of no dead animal food. I don’t like the idea of suffering, I don’t want to make anything suffer if I can avoid it, and I so I don't want to be a part of a system which makes animals suffer.

I’m kind of compromising at the moment, I only eat dead animals which have been reared organically, because I have the (possibly mistaken) impression that they are much less likely to have had a bad life or a bad death. Even there, I sometimes buy processed products, bread and wine for example, which may not be produced in a way which cares about animals, and I wore a leather jacket this afternoon . . . I guess I have a weak will!
Weak will? I doubt it. You present with a strong moral streak.

I mostly gave up eating red meat in the early 2000’s following a colonoscopy, the consultant showed me scarring in my colon which he reckoned was down to a difficulty in digesting meat. I stopped having IBS after that. I do eat red meat occasionally in restaurants or have it at home on big family occasions a couple of times per year.

We have a lot of vegetarian meals these days and will eat a lot more fish when there are no fussy offspring still living at home.

Cheers BB

I’ve often wondered if I had lived in prehistoric times, would I be a hunter or a gatherer. Probably a gatherer, as well as a collector of shiny shells and rocks. Ah, who am I kidding? I just wanted a segue so I could post this seamlessly in this thread.

Joe

In the UK poultry are despatched in the exactly the same way as mammalian farm animals – stunned, throat slit and left to bleed out.
Partially true, not entirely. The most common stun method is gas stunning, where an asphyxiant gas mix (N2 and CO2, minimal oxygen) renders the birds unconscious and also brain dead, though their hearts still beat for a short time. This allows the manufacturers to comply with Halal requirements that the birds are still "alive" as their throats are cut because their hearts are still beating.
Electric stun is not much used these days and only used as a backup if the stun gas runs out. I've had this in a factory, it's a monumental PITA because if any of the birds miss the head remover you need to manually cut them before they come round. Gas stunned birds won't come round, ever, so you don't have to worry as much about immediate head removal. They are brain dead by the time they clear the stun chamber.

advertisement

Back