advertisement

No More Meat.

P.S. that Rick Wakeman was on Bargain Hunt the other day. He was partnered with the singer from M People. If you like prog and you like old tat it might be your sort of thing. I enjoyed it.

p0gp7w49.jpg

Paul,

It's Steve Howe, a Yes bloke.

Oops, thanks Joe. I was about to jump in and say ‘it’s Patti Smith, of course!’
P.S. that Rick Wakeman was on Bargain Hunt the other day. He was partnered with the singer from M People. If you like prog and you like old tat it might be your sort of thing. I enjoyed it.

p0gp7w49.jpg

I hope the bloke on the right won, as I like the tweed waistcoat/trews combo. Personally I think they are all rather brave - I doubt if the one with the eye-patch is vegetarian.

You were doing so well up to that point. ;) There are great vegan burgers, and "chicken". Even pretty passable vegan fish (Gardein) , but I have yet to find good vegan bacon or cheese. That said, much as I miss bacon sandwiches, I'm much happier now that I know I'm not complicit in the torture and killing of pigs.
Ha! The Violife Greek-style is a fairly good approximation of Feta, and Cathedral City do a tangy mature Cheddar that seems popular .

You were doing so well up to that point. ;) There are great vegan burgers, and "chicken". Even pretty passable vegan fish (Gardein) , but I have yet to find good vegan bacon or cheese. That said, much as I miss bacon sandwiches, I'm much happier now that I know I'm not complicit in the torture and killing of pigs.
V bites is pretty good.

Worldwide it is estimated that 66% of all antibiotics are used in farm animals, to keep
animals in shit.

Well-said! I feel the same.
Also, OM-2girl & I deeply-enjoyed the set menu here at Tendril https://www.tendrilkitchen.co.uk/ Saturday evening: utterly wonderful.

we are not vegan or veggie for that matter. We like meat/fish too much

But we like both veggie and vegan cooking, we regularly cook both and choose to eat out in both types of restaurant.

we've eaten at Tendril a few times, nice Brasserie style vegan food, at reasonable prices. We found it a bit uninspiring, but good enough for a return visit. We like it's informal atmosphere.

If you want fine dining vegan go here https://www.gauthiersoho.co.uk/ - formal, but relaxed atmosphere, clever cooking beautifully presented. We will be back there in a few weeks.

his other restaurant is more relaxed https://www.studiogauthier.co.uk/ and excellent, and sometimes adventurous in the cooking, and informal.

if you are veggie and like Indian, try Diwana Bhel Poori on Drummond Street near Euston Station in London. There is no website, there is no booking - if you are lucky you won't have to queue.

By suspicious coincidence, left-over tofu bolognese tonight for me.

Does it taste like the real thing? No.
Should it taste like the real thing? Also no.
Does it taste BETTER than the real thing? That's a question of personal taste, but for me, yes.

My wife cooks a few things with tofu, and for me, they taste at least as good as with meat, in fact for my taste, I prefer that slightly less rich flavour.

My point is, that vegetarian or vegan food can be eaten on its own merits. You aren't being denied meat so if you don't look at it that way you won't feel "cheated"

I was discussing the rise of the fake meat burger, and a colleague said that he would feel "cheated", eating a fake product.

The fake meat products are great as far as I'm concerned, but I can see the contradiction in eating something with fake blood oozing out of it.

But small steps...
I don't get the fake product approach to vegi/vegan food, I have said so here before. I can't see the point, because if I want to eat chickpeas I will, and I do. They make great housous, falafel, and if I want to get creative I'll mash them up with some other interesting stuff, make a pattie and fry it. Will I call it a no-beef burger? No, I'll call it a chickpea burger.
Maybe I am wrong to take this approach, as a food manufacturer there's a great living to be made in the fake food market. However if one such manufacturer were to hire me, I'd be an enthuiastic convert.

Top vegan places up here in Glasgow include:

- the Vegan & Veg cafe on Victoria Road: an Indian cafe with the best vegetable samosas this side of the Arabian Sea.

- A Pastry Shop on Clarkston Road: mostly vegan sweet and savoury pastries that are simply amazing. Expensive, but excellent all the same.

- Vegan Earth Cafe: an award winning cafe in its own right that has some of the tastiest food ever, even against non-vegan foods. I just wish Joe would up sticks and move up here to Glasgow!

I don't get the fake product approach to vegi/vegan food, I have said so here before. I can't see the point, because if I want to eat chickpeas I will, and I do. They make great housous, falafel, and if I want to get creative I'll mash them up with some other interesting stuff, make a pattie and fry it. Will I call it a no-beef burger? No, I'll call it a chickpea burger.
Maybe I am wrong to take this approach, as a food manufacturer there's a great living to be made in the fake food market. However if one such manufacturer were to hire me, I'd be an enthuiastic convert.
I agree completely; if a real hamburger is considered immoral and physically repulsive, why eat an imitation? Maybe it is like having sex with "A" while pretending it is "B."

Very interesting, thanks, will have a look. There are also studies that show vegans/vegetarians having better health than others, but I keep an open mind - I'm vegan because I think that the consumption of animal products is unnecessary, and would reconsider if there was good enough evidence to the contrary.
chap i know had poor health , i think relating partially relating to him being a vegan. he gave up but i think the potential damage was done . its only conjecture but i cant see the point of having a diet that needs supplements . seems unatural to me

I agree completely; if a real hamburger is considered immoral and physically repulsive, why eat an imitation? Maybe it is like having sex with "A" while pretending it is "B."
I'm not keen on stuff that is really similar to meat. Fake 'blood'? Ew! A lot of veggies and stuff made into a patty and served in a bun with chips? Yum : )

From a post of mine in 2019:

“I haven’t knowingly eaten meat since 2001.

I used to eat anything and everything, but the foot and mouth outbreak, with the blatant disregard for animal welfare that went along with it, finally stopped me. I’d been eating less and less meat anyway during my final couple of years in Saudi, so the transition was easy.

I have fish more than five times each week, and weigh the same as I did back in 2001. I should exercise more, should cut back on the carbs, but hey...”

My blood sugar has crept up, not ‘pre-diabetic’ yet, but I suppose that’ll come. Since the above post, “plant based” has become a fashionable term, but I avoid those items when I can. The term is a bit too vague for me, and seems be used to describe a yucky paste.

chap i know had poor health , i think relating partially relating to him being a vegan. he gave up but i think the potential damage was done . its only conjecture but i cant see the point of having a diet that needs supplements . seems unatural to me

Why do you think that? Are you a doctor? Have you done any tests on this chap? C'mon, this is just plain nonsense.

Humans are not designed for eating meat on a daily basis. Nor for drinking milk. We have adapted to it a little bit. But our bodies still respond to vegetables a lot better. And we don't need supplements, just a healthy balanced diet (with beans, nuts, etc.). It's the industry that tries to tell/sell us otherwise, because there's lots of money that can be made.

A question for vegetarians/vegans. Do you still buy leather goods, such as shoes/wallets/belts and coats?

Are there suitable man made alternatives?
I am not searching for arguments, I am just interested how easy it is, especially with formal shoes?
We have been vegetarian since 1971, and we both use leather, especially me with motorbike race leathers. We have no problem with anyone else eating meat or fish, we just decided we didn't want to.
But a few years ago we were both found to be B12 deficient, and have to have injections regularly as our bodies had lost the ability to absorb it from food. There was no understanding of this 50 years ago, so we found out too late. Be warned!

Firstly hats off to the chaps who have gone Veggie 👍, being an animal lover l wish l had more will power, but am having the odd veggie meals - Wifey became a Veggie 15 odd years ago and has been constantly ill ever since ( whether this is connected l cannot say) however family think this is the case, she has constant Migraines ( never had them when eating meat )- one of the healthiest and most energetic chaps l know is a Veggie so go and figure that one out......

The tendency is for people to oversimplify illnesses and symptoms. “My mate the veggie got cancer after not eating meat for five years. Must be because he stopped eating meat.” That sort of ignorant silliness.

And diet is bad if it misses out the essentials, and that’s down to making the wrong choices, for whatever reason.

advertisement

Back