advertisement

New Rega Nd7 Moving Magnet cartridge

Yes I understand. For me it’s more a question of wich one to choose between the two. And wich combinaison of phono stage/ cartridge will give the best sound for my hear and system ;)

But hey, maybe I’ll just stay with my fono mm mk5 haha..
There is nothing wrong with the Rega Phono. The Aria sounds similar just better but the Phono does the job fine. I've heard a bunch of MM stages and they all seem ok. Some are better than others but it seems to me that it must be a hard thing to get wrong. If you want neutral, I'd get a Rega. If you want more analogue character a Graham Slee.

One thing I like about the Aria is that you can use any cartridge into it and run two turntables at the same time. That's proving really useful for me as I switch between MM and MC occasionally and I refurb and sell turntables. It's an ideal phono stage for me. The only thing I'd change is moving the dip switches to the front! ;0)

There is nothing wrong with the Rega Phono. The Aria sounds similar just better but the Phono does the job fine. I've heard a bunch of MM stages and they all seem ok. Some are better than others but it seems to me that it must be a hard thing to get wrong. If you want neutral, I'd get a Rega. If you want more analogue character a Graham Slee.

One thing I like about the Aria is that you can use any cartridge into it and run two turntables at the same time. That's proving really useful for me as I switch between MM and MC occasionally and I refurb and sell turntables. It's an ideal phono stage for me. The only thing I'd change is moving the dip switches to the front! ;0)
Thanks !
By the way (and sorry for the off topic ) I found an old topic where you’re discussing the rega io , what’s your consensus now on the current rega amplifier line up (io,brio,elex mk4)? I had a feeling the elex mk4 is a good blend of the clarity of the io with the fullness of the brio . I have an elex mk4.

Also did you heard the naim 5si ?
Not bad I think but the elex have my preference ;) The xs3 I tried but didn’t really like it .

By the way I found an old topic where you’re discussing the rega io , what’s your consensus now on the current rega amplifier line up (io,brio,elex mk4)?
I've had the IO and Brio-R here, my daughter now has one and my son the other. Both are good amplifiers and very good value. I've heard a couple of other Rega amplifiers but not in a context that would allow me to make any sort of judgment on them.

Naim amplifiers are fine but typically a bit expensive. I've never heard the 5si.

I've had the IO and Brio-R here, my daughter now has one and my son the other. Both are good amplifiers and very good value. I've heard a couple of other Rega amplifiers but not in a context that would allow me to make any sort of judgment on them.

Naim amplifiers are fine but typically a bit expensive. I've never heard the 5si.

Having owned hordes of Naim amps over three decades, including the Nait XS and SN2, I find the current generation of Rega amps very interesting. Having kind-of accidentally acquired a Brio-R a few months ago, I suspect it's a Nait 2 beater; certainly a more real-world amp, with a much sweeter sound, for roughly a third of the price s/h.

Certainly the idea for the Brio and the Elex circuit is that they are "quasi Class A" in that the driver devices operate in Class A, and the O/P devices in A/B. The volume control on the Aethos and the current Elicit 5 is also interesting - not a straightforward pot, not a stepped attenuator as in the Elicit-R, but an improvement on either. The current generation are real Swiss army knives, with DACs, MM inputs, headphone outs, pre-outs and power-ins. The issue for me - Rega having resisted all this a generation back - is whether the ultimate sound has been compromised.

I've had an Aethos on home dem, and the only reason I didn't buy it was that it was way more powerful than my room and speakers required.

Anyway, just to get back OT, to say I'm "interested" in a super duper new Rega MM is putting it mildly.

At a Hi Fi show last week, I was told by a rega dealer that the ND7 is a completely new way to build a mm pu. He claimed that they actually place the magnets in the the needle. I don’t know whether that is true though, sounds pretty crazy!

At a Hi Fi show last week, I was told by a rega dealer that the ND7 is a completely new way to build a mm pu. He claimed that they actually place the magnets in the the needle. I don’t know whether that is true though, sounds pretty crazy!
I think he's getting mixed up. How would that work?

Makes me think of the top AT MC - ART-1000 though the principle is of course a different one.

audio-technica-at-art1000_0.jpg

I think it's the fine line as in the Apheta and Aphelion so a bigger bargain and presumably much cheaper to get re-tipped ( £225- 50%). Probably stiff competition for the Anias.
Yes I’m definitely waiting for it, it’s possible that in the end it would be on same level as Ania pro and it would be a matter of taste between the 2. If that’s the case , that would be quite an achievement already.

My only quibble: I wish Ania pro would be a bit cheaper, around 700/800€ and completely replace the Ania ;)
(In Europe official price is 1000/1200€ for Ania pro wich is quite considerable if you think a planar 6 is ca 1300€ )

I think it's the fine line as in the Apheta and Aphelion so a bigger bargain and presumably much cheaper to get re-tipped ( £225- 50%). Probably stiff competition for the Anias.
Is the fine line stylus on the apheta 3 so much better for tracking/surface noise/inner groove distortion as the vital one in the exact/ania pro ? I know the vital is quite a good one ;)

Yes I’m definitely waiting for it, it’s possible that in the end it would be on same level as Ania pro and it would be a matter of taste between the 2. If that’s the case , that would be quite an achievement already.

My only quibble: I wish Ania pro would be a bit cheaper..
I too can see this cartridge trading punches with the Ania Pro. Is the Pro too expensive? I don't think it is. It does things which are unusual for a MC cart and the exchange price is brilliant.

advertisement

Back