advertisement

New Rega Nd7 Moving Magnet cartridge

I want to hear how it compares to its peers such as the 2M Bronze and VM760, both of which have well sorted replaceable styli too... Hopefully they've sorted out the old fashioned internals which give what's these days a large mid kHz suckout right where you don't want it. They'll probably not want it to be quite as good as an Ania though.

Ania is not a particular good tracker (elliptical)
Far too expensive in that regard IMO
I would suspect Ania to track fine, only, being a standard elliptical, it won't necessarily 'trace' as well as the fine-line tip profile of the dearer Ania Pro.

Likely the same tip as Elys 2.

I wonder if Rega will eventually release a lower priced version of Nd7 to replace Elys 2. Having such a posh tip on Nd7 seems to suggest so.

I have a Planar 8 which is a great TT, I'm thinking of going the mm route as I am underwhelmed with the AT OC9XML, I have had bad results with Rega cartridges in the past but hopefully this new model could be a winner, with regards to Ortofon especially the new 2MR range, with a planar 8 why not go with an ordinary 2M, I don't need to shim my AT, it's perfectly level so at 3mm lower it seems it would be too shallow or am I missing something.

I have a Planar 8 which is a great TT, I'm thinking of going the mm route as I am underwhelmed with the AT OC9XML, I have had bad results with Rega cartridges in the past but hopefully this new model could be a winner, with regards to Ortofon especially the new 2MR range, with a planar 8 why not go with an ordinary 2M, I don't need to shim my AT, it's perfectly level so at 3mm lower it seems it would be too shallow or am I missing something.
I don't think the XSL is a good match for these turntables. The XSL is a great cartridge, and a little bit fuller sounding than the older OC9s, but it's still on the lean side. Audio Technica carts are better suited to turntables with a bit of body, like the LP12 or Technics.

I don't think you'd find an Ortofon 2M much better. I had a 2M Black on my RP10 is similarly found it thin sounding. In my opinion, the 2M carts are more like AT carts than the older Ortofon ones.

The best match I tried on the RP10 was the Exact, which is hardly surprising I guess, but I still found the sound lacking in body. Like listening to cardboard cutouts instead of real artists. A lot of people seem perfectly happy with this sort of presentation but I'm not one of them. If you like the general presentation of the Planar8 I'd be looking at warmer cartridges, maybe Grado, Nagaoka, Hana perhaps? Or Rega of course. I love the Exact and I have an Ania Pro just now which is also very good.

I don't think the XSL is a good match for these turntables. The XSL is a great cartridge, and a little bit fuller sounding than the older OC9s, but it's still on the lean side. Audio Technica carts are better suited to turntables with a bit of body, like the LP12 or Technics.

I don't think you'd find an Ortofon 2M much better. I had a 2M Black on my RP10 is similarly found it thin sounding. In my opinion, the 2M carts are more like AT carts than the older Ortofon ones.

The best match I tried on the RP10 was the Exact, which is hardly surprising I guess, but I still found the sound lacking in body. Like listening to cardboard cutouts instead of real artists. A lot of people seem perfectly happy with this sort of presentation but I'm not one of them. If you like the general presentation of the Planar8 I'd be looking at warmer cartridges, maybe Grado, Nagaoka, Hana perhaps? Or Rega of course. I love the Exact and I have an Ania Pro just now which is also very good.
I’ve owned a lot of different turntables over the last 35 years and in my experience a “horses for courses” approach is definitely the way it is for cartridge/tonearm/turntable and phono stage combinations. That combination has to be taken as a system approach - a system within a system if you like.

From what I have heard, the P8 is more neutral and nuanced compared to the older RP series but certain well proven cartridges that are known to work on Rega’s would be a safe bet. My favourite being Rega’s own and Nagaoka

Hey , I read quite a few threads and my understanding is that like me , you like the exact a lot ;)
(very good tracking of the vital stylus, a lot of body etc…I’m using it on a p6 with fono MM)

How does the Ania pro compared to the exact to your hear ? You are hearing on a p8 with wich phono stage ?

I guess for me the questions would be :
-how does the nd7 sounds compared to both the exact and Ania pro
-will the fine line stylus of the nd7 track better than the vital of the exact and Ania pro ? The exact is really a good tracker.

How does the Ania pro compared to the exact to your hear ? You are hearing on a p8 with which phono stage ?
I have an RB3000 into an Aria phono stage but it's not a Rega turntable. It's an LP12 with a Cirkus bearing, alloy sub-chassis and Zeus power supply. I had an RP10 for two years but I didn't like it. Bleached the life and soul out of everything except the very best recordings.

If you like the Exact I think there is a good chance you'll like the Ania Pro. It has a similar 'music first' heart which makes everything involving, it has real soul, but it's a lot tighter and more detailed than the Exact. It still sounds rounded and lifelike but clearer. More expressive.

I have another LP12 with an RB330 on it. At some point I'll try the Ania Pro on that to see how it works on a lesser Rega arm but that deck is missing a PSU so it won't be soon.

I have an RB3000 into an Aria phono stage but it's not a Rega turntable. It's an LP12 with a Cirkus bearing, alloy sub-chassis and Zeus power supply. I had an RP10 for two years but I didn't like it. Bleached the life and soul out of everything except the very best recordings.

If you like the Exact I think there is a good chance you'll like the Ania Pro. It has a similar 'music first' heart which makes everything involving, it has real soul, but it's a lot tighter and more detailed than the Exact. It still sounds rounded and lifelike but clearer. More expressive.

I have another LP12 with an RB330 on it. At some point I'll try the Ania Pro on that to see how it works on a lesser Rega arm but that deck is missing a PSU so it won't be soon.
Thanks for your very interesting answer ! So you’re staying with the Ania pro over the exact ? My fear switching to the Ania pro from the exact would be to loose the warm , punch and fullness of the exact.

I guess we’ll have to wait to see how the nd7 play into that ! Your review would be very interesting since you already got the exact and the Ania pro !

I really wonder if the nd7 could be better than the Ania pro !

So you’re staying with the Ania pro over the exact ? My fear switching to the Ania pro from the exact would be to loose the warm , punch and fullness of the exact.
Yes, I prefer the Ania Pro. The Exact is good but it's limited, the Pro is much more capable but you do lose a bit of weight. It's a worthwhile trade though and the Pro does not sound as lightweight as many MC carts do.

Ania Pro Review If I had known the new MM cart was coming I might have waited for it as I think it might be a brilliant cartridge.

Is there a viable cheaper solution for a P3?

Has anyone compared the RigB VM95ML to the Exact (for much less money)?

I would suspect Ania to track fine, only, being a standard elliptical, it won't necessarily 'trace' as well as the fine-line tip profile of the dearer Ania Pro.

Likely the same tip as Elys 2.

I wonder if Rega will eventually release a lower priced version of Nd7 to replace Elys 2. Having such a posh tip on Nd7 seems to suggest so.
Yes, the Elys sounds lovely on the outer couple of tracks, then it gets to the inner tracks and, oh dear!

A 6um minor radius tip (and preferably 5um) should be the minimum standard for Hi-Fi.

Its always amused me that manufacturers go to extreme lengths designing super rigid bodies when the bit at the sharp end is err.....effectively too blunt to properly trace high frequencies.

The very first Rega Bias (the green one that cost £34) used a nude super elliptical profile @ 5um x 18um.
You can clearly hear the benefits of the quality tip.

Yes, the Elys sounds lovely on the outer couple of tracks, then it gets to the inner tracks and, oh dear!

A 6um minor radius tip (and preferably 5um) should be the minimum standard for Hi-Fi.

Its always amused me that manufacturers go to extreme lengths designing super rigid bodies when the bit at the sharp end is err.....effectively too blunt to properly trace high frequencies.

The very first Rega Bias (the green one that cost £34) used a nude super elliptical profile @ 5um x 18um.

Interesting ! Do you have the spec of the exact , Ania pro and apheta 3 profile ?

Interesting ! Do you have the spec of the exact , Ania pro and apheta 3 profile ?
I guess the question would be: is the apheta 3 a better tracker as the Ania pro ?

And if yes and if the nd7 hast the same stylus as apheta 3 , nd7 might be better as exact …and Ania pro ??

Is there a viable cheaper solution for a P3?

Has anyone compared the RigB VM95ML to the Exact (for much less money)?
I went from a 95ML to an Exact on my 80s planar 3. Exact seems to be more gutsy, and also a more controlled top end. (I also had an SH stylus for the 95, which I preferred to the ML, but ultimately preferred the Exact still).

Audio Technica carts and Rega carts are similar in some ways but quite different in others. Both sound lively and involving but Rega carts are more solid and full bodied where as AT carts are lightweight. It say at the lower end AT carts are better as the cheaper Rega MM carts are too lacking in fine detail, they paint music in primary colours.

Sadly no, Rega wouldn't confirm.
We know it's a nude Ogura 'vital' so likely 5um x 18um from the Ogura range - at least that's what 40 years of listening to hundreds of carts tells me :)
why are there so many Exacts with unbalanced channels?

Although I am not qualified to have an opinion, my personal experience leads me to think that it is maybe because there are more of us than we like to think with unbalanced hearing.

That's why i gave up on Rega cartridges, balance problems, channel cut out and low output, i've had the Elys ll the Exact and an Ania, all three were duds, when they worked they sounded good but after a while the problems occurred, give Rega their due though, they replaced or rebuilt them, i would like to try this new cartridge out and may well do but for now guitars come first.

advertisement

Back