advertisement

New Rega Nd7 Moving Magnet cartridge

Although I am not qualified to have an opinion, my personal experience leads me to think that it is maybe because there are more of us than we like to think with unbalanced hearing.
Sorry, but I've never had any imbalance issues with AT or other cartridges.
Only with Rega Exact (at least with 3/4 of them).
No issues at all with Elys2, Bias, Ania and Apheta 1.

That's why i gave up on Rega cartridges, balance problems, channel cut out and low output, i've had the Elys ll the Exact and an Ania, all three were duds
I guess it can only be two things. The design has inherent weaknesses or quality control at the factory is not good enough. I've not had any issues but I've heard about enough that I don't doubt they exist. When was the last time you heard about a faulty Audio Technica cartridge?

The fact that Rega are very good at replacing faulty units is enough to make me not worry about it too much but if I lived somewhere that dealer support wasn't so good it would be more of a consideration.

Honestly I’m not saying the rega rxsct is perfect.
But at 400€ new in Europe (wich mean around 300€ with a reduction from your dealer) it’s really really good.

Yes, I prefer the Ania Pro. The Exact is good but it's limited, the Pro is much more capable but you do lose a bit of weight. It's a worthwhile trade though and the Pro does not sound as lightweight as many MC carts do.

Ania Pro Review If I had known the new MM cart was coming I might have waited for it as I think it might be a brilliant cartridge.
By the way, did you tried the Hana mc ? The one at around 800/1100€ seems too have good critics ? Curious how they sound compared to Ania pro

By the way, did you tried the Hana mc ? The one at around 800/1100€ seems too have good critics ? Curious how they sound compared to Ania pro
No. I have a friend who has a Hana, first on a Giro and now on a 401. He rates it. Reading reviews it looked like it wasn't the direction I wanted to go in. The Ania Pro interested me because I wanted to see if Rega's better carts retained the soul of the Exact. The Pro really does.

No. I have a friend who has a Hana, first on a Giro and now on a 401. He rates it. Reading reviews it looked like it wasn't the direction I wanted to go in. The Ania Pro interested me because I wanted to see if Rega's better carts retained the soul of the Exact. The Pro really does.
-You mean “he hates it” ? Or he’s trying it ? 😂

-What is the consensus on the direction of the Hana sl/ml in review ?

-Interesting for the ania pro! You’re using the rega aria ? I also heard good thing about the aurorasound vida prima phono stage at the same price.

-You mean “he hates it” ? Or he’s trying it ?
No, rates it. As in he likes it. He was using a Denon DL103 rebuilt with a better cantilever and stylus prior to the Hana ML.

Most seem to regard Hanas as warm and full sounding. Not as exiting as say Audio Technica.

I'm using an Aria. Perfectly happy with it. Doesn't seem to have much character of its own but lets through the character of the cartridge intact.

No, rates it. As in he likes it. He was using a Denon DL103 rebuilt with a better cantilever and stylus prior to the Hana ML.

Most seem to regard Hanas as warm and full sounding. Not as exiting as say Audio Technica.

I'm using an Aria. Perfectly happy with it. Doesn't seem to have much character of its own but lets through the character of the cartridge intact.
No problem at all with the aria both in mm and mc ?( I think Some people complained about hum or some sort of noise )

No problem at all with the aria both in mm and mc ?( I think Some people complained about hum or some sort of noise )
Maybe faulty ones exist but I'm more inclined to think it's something else in the system. I've never had any hum issues with Rega arms or other kit while hum was a regular problem with Naim amps and Linn arms.

Amplifying such a low level signal with noise is a challenge but my experience is that Rega are better than average at it.

I’m actually getting sick n tired of Rega haters, I dont know why they can’t stick with their own forums, people don’t know how to set up a System with a Rega to get no hum, I’ve had no hum issues at all I’ve had an RP3 with Elys and Exact carts, P6 with Exact and Ania Carts P8 with Ania Pro and Apheta 3, I’ve even had the Exact on my P8, I’ve had Vincent pho8 and pho701 and currently Aria phonostages Ive had NO hum issues with any combination here’s a little tip move your power supply away from from your phonostage and if possible keep your Tonearm cable 90 deg from the rest of your cabling (this is what I had to do with my P6) I also have a dedicated power line to my listening room so maybe this helps too

’m actually getting sick n tired of Rega haters,
Where ?
I don'r see any haters.
Just objectivity.
Some owners seem to have trouble with their kit - and its perfectly valid to point out, maybe someone can help if they didn't knew how to solve issues or there's a lifetime warranty.

I’m actually getting sick n tired of Rega haters, I dont know why they can’t stick with their own forums, people don’t know how to set up a System with a Rega to get no hum, I’ve had no hum issues at all I’ve had an RP3 with Elys and Exact carts, P6 with Exact and Ania Carts P8 with Ania Pro and Apheta 3, I’ve even had the Exact on my P8, I’ve had Vincent pho8 and pho701 and currently Aria phonostages Ive had NO hum issues with any combination here’s a little tip move your power supply away from from your phonostage and if possible keep your Tonearm cable 90 deg from the rest of your cabling (this is what I had to do with my P6) I also have a dedicated power line to my listening room so maybe this helps too
Your opinion on exact/ania pro / apheta 3 , how they sound and how they differ mounted on a p6?

Your opinion on exact/ania pro / apheta 3 , how they sound and how they differ mounted on a p6?
My opinion is subjective, they all sound good, as you go up, is more refined/detailed, your best option is to find a Rega dealer near you hopefully he’ll have a deck with the Exact and or Ania/Pro fitted take 2-3 of your favourite LPs and listen, you might find you prefer the Exact over Ania Pro, I don’t know what genre you listen to, I can say this keep in mind the Rega MC Carts need 69 dB of gain (as the Aria does) to get the full potential out of them if your Phonostage output 60dB your missing out, good luck

I also heard this cartridge at the Bristol Show & thought the system it was playing in & the very enjoyable sound it produced was a bargain as a whole. The FONO MM phono stage in particular. Okay it was not without it's quirks (the system sound) but that didn't stop the enjoyment.

Honestly I’m not saying the rega rxsct is perfect.
But at 400€ new in Europe (wich mean around 300€ with a reduction from your dealer) it’s really really good.
The ND7 looks a bargain. Same stylus as the Aphelion 2 but £3,000 cheaper. Presumably it will be £225 to replace the stylus compared with £1,700 for the Aphelion. Why is the MC cartridge so much more expensive?

The ND7 looks a bargain. Same stylus as the Aphelion 2 but £3,000 cheaper. Presumably it will be £225 to replace the stylus compared with £1,700 for the Aphelion. Why is the MC cartridge so much more expensive?

What the market will bear...

advertisement

Back