advertisement

New Rega Nd7 Moving Magnet cartridge

pfbaat

pfm Member
428615843_10161723096308615_3196466151431139328_n.jpg

428619237_10161723095663615_8585428910133850916_n.jpg

I've been begging for a better spec MM cart from Rega for years. The Exact is so musical but is crying out for some higher quality parts to help sort out the weak areas.

I suspect this cartridge might just be an absolute killer.

Priced lower than Ania and with a better stylus tip, looks like a bloody bargain, can't wait !
Although we don't know the price yet. It could be above a new Exact and up where the Ania is. I'm listening to the Ania Pro just now and still very impressed with it. Rega carts have soul. Where they are lacking, if at all, is in technical terms.

Appears I was wrong about this potentially being an Ortofon F/FF/M/VMS/OM type IM generator with ring magnet about the pole extensions, as the CAD images within the flyer above make clear that the pole pieces extend all the way forward with no ring magnet encircling (In my defense, the previously posted image came from a video still).

Still, there are many ways to skin Faraday's law wrt generating electro-magnetic force within a coil of wire. The pole pieces themselves could be Nd rods with a bit of permalloy wiggling about between the pole extensions. This might explain why each coil now appears to be on its own separate pole rod, rather than two coils along one rod that is subsequently bent into a 'U' shape.

Regardless, what with these far stronger magnets allowing them to reduce the number of coil turns and, presumably, still retain the high output of Exact/Elys, the electrical resonance peak is likely to move a bit further up out of harms way and remain so over a wider capacitive loading range.

Appears I was wrong about this potentially being an Ortofon F/FF/M/VMS/OM type IM generator with ring magnet about the pole extensions, as the CAD images within the flyer above make clear that the pole pieces extend all the way forward with no ring magnet encircling (In my defense, the previously posted image came from a video still).
It is reminiscent of an Ortofon, nevertheless.

I wonder if it will be shielded.
All Rega MMs have been well shielded, including a soldered on extension of Rch-ve coil lead to the metal shield. Looks like they've extended this to having a shield plate running along the 'backbone' of the body above the coils (beneath the coils in the CAD images above).

Last edited:
It is reminiscent of an Ortofon, nevertheless.
Rega's coils assembly always was, however it has always been different in that each channels coil pair was on the same rod which is subsequently bent into a 'U' shape and then conjoined at the bend with the opposite pair rod in a crossed coil arrangement. This is what necessitated having to pot the coils within the body, something that won't be necessary with the straight rods of Nd7 now being constrained fore and aft like Ortofon.

This was playing on a P6 in the Rega room at Bristol.
Hard to determine the absolute quality under those conditions but sounded decent with no glaring issues.
I expect it will give the AT 700 series and pricier Nagaoka's a run.
I don't think you can make any assumptions, especially based on what you hear as a show. My only take is that the Exact is a cartridge I like a lot and hopefully this will be cut from similar cloth and should be better as, if nothing else, it is better spec.

advertisement

Back