advertisement

New Naim Audio product. Uniti Nova Power Edition

Goodbye Naim, Focal killed you.

Except they're not dead.... record turnover and healthy profits... do you think if you say it often enough (like 10 times per Naim thread) it will come true... you seem to want them to fail.. and presumably everyone there to lose their job... what a lovely person you must be.

Fascinating....on the Naim forum they're all raving on about how class D is the best thing ever and no one has ever said otherwise....!!

Rubbish, there is as much scepticism there as here. You’re obviously just seeing what you want to see.

As I said over there, if the current Nova doesn’t optimally power Focal speakers it’s a bit of a no brainier to bring a product to the market that can.

Time will tell whether they’ve got their pricing right - for me it’s Alice in Wonderland pricing but Naim seems to have moved up the pricing ladder which makes it unlikely I will buy their products new again- but so has Auralic with their latest offerings.

Rega are looking more and more appealing as the sort of company that seems to be a dying breed.

.sjb

Class-D? Is it their first class-D product? Does it have SMPS as well? The wording suggests they want to become eco-friendly. The price suggests becoming eco-friendly will cost some money. Not such a bad message if you think about it, or...?

Using vintage Naim kit is another way of being eco-friendly, so alltogether I think it's the right decision. I was wondering since some time how they could continue to use those gigantic copper coils in their PSUs for ever...

As I said over there, if the current Nova doesn’t optimally power Focal speakers it’s a bit of a no brainier to bring a product to the market that can.

Sounds likely to me, too: more power and perhaps a "softer" sound and/or voiced to be a more pleasing combo with the Focal lineup.

as a happy nova owner I've no desire to change but yes ill give it a listen and see if this class D is any different to other D amps ive heard...

I know this for sure. Not every human being strives for making as much money as possible you know...
No, but companies generally do... I work with a heck of a lot of them and I'm yet to find one that does not want to make lots of profit. Even charities or so called 'not for profit' organisations as they recycle the profit for their cause, but they still want to make lots of it. Yes, there'll always be individuals who have a more altruistic outlook, but I'm yet to come across a sizeable company that does not want to make profit even if they use that profit in different ways.

Anyway even if Naim were somehow different to other companies that's up to them and no one is making you buy any of their products. If you (and the other serial whiners on these thread) don't like it why not use your business genius to start up a not for profit hi-fi company... I'm sure it would be a resounding success!

No, but companies generally do... I work with a heck of a lot of them and I'm yet to find one that does not want to make lots of profit. Even charities or so called 'not for profit' organisations as they recycle the profit for their cause, but they still want to make lots of it. Yes, there'll always be individuals who have a more altruistic outlook, but I'm yet to come across a sizeable company that does not want to make profit even if they use that profit in different ways.

Anyway even if Naim were somehow different to other companies that's up to them and no one is making you buy any of their products. If you (and the other serial whiners on these thread) don't like it why not use your business genius to start up a not for profit hi-fi company... I'm sure it would be a resounding success!
Like I wrote: they want (need!) to make profit, but they don't all want to go to the max. Don't change my words please.

Like I wrote: they want (need!) to make profit, but they don't all want to go to the max. Don't change my words please.
I agree, there's the capital investors which can be very greedy.
Then there's companies with a more relaxed attitude.
Often innovators and people driven by the end result, for example Rega and surely many others.

For example a Rega Brio amp is priced lower than €1000, a Nait 50 price was 4-5 times higher.
A Naim Nova became Nova PE and nearly doubled the price, likely same manufacture cost or very close, maybe Class D is even cheaper to put in the box, ready from China while ordinary Naim amplication might need more wages in Naim factory.

Its a major step Naim is doing here, I'm not surprised if most of their amplication end up with Class D as its known to be cheaper tech, cost down is what they have done since Focals first day - no surprise.

BTW the change of words happen often in post, things are talked into other proportions, certainly by a few of the prayers brigade.
I just ignore them, but you can of course react as you like.

Class-D? Is it their first class-D product?
Nope, they had some N-Vi Surround kit back then, also the Mu-so stuff.

I'm sure they've had Class D on their test bench long time since Focal took over management, its a really cheap method if you get it right it can sound good, look at Linn they broke the code.

There are tons other brands out there, using the Class D method, not many sound good (grey and lifeless is usually the result) of those I've heard.
But powerfull and thats what many people choose by.

Reactions: jpk
BTW the change of words happen often in post, things are talked into other proportions, certainly by a few of the prayers brigade.
I know you're right. But I don't like it when people change my words. Makes me feel like I'm saying something stupid. Which I obviously never do 😁

I haven't changed anyone's words, I've merely explained why you're talking nonsense.

Blah blah blah....

Oh and pfbaat the irony of you saying 'things are talked into other proportions' when according to you Naim are heading into the abyss is rather amusing ... perhaps practising what you preach might be a good idea eh?

I haven't changed anyone's words, I've merely explained why you're talking nonsense.
What's your problem?!

I'll end this 'conversation' now before I stop being nice. There's bigger problems in the world than people laying words in other people's mouth and than accusing them of talking rubbish. Peace!

advertisement

Back