advertisement

Need help identifying suitable new car

Again, thanks to everybody for the ideas. I'm almost overwhelmed!

Got a test drive in an Ateca on Friday, and will look at the Mazda CX5, a Honda something-or-other, the X1 (although BMWs for some reason attract the attention of our local vandals).

I can't thank everyone enough.
Rick

That's a real shame and I fully understand your concern there, I will never understand the mentality of people who damage other people's property on purpose. I think you'll like the X1 too, lovely looking car, especially in white and given that you like a bit of power, the 2.0i would easily satisfy.

That's a real shame and I fully understand your concern there, I will never understand the mentality of people who damage other people's property on purpose. I think you'll like the X1 too, lovely looking car, especially in white and given that you like a bit of power, the 2.0i would easily satisfy.

Lived here for 32 years and love the area and neighbours, but it's on-road parking which was fine then but gets more frustrating every year to the point that it will be the reason we eventually move. Cars do get molested by kids from the nearby estate when they feel the world is against them - luckily it reaches us only once or twice every couple of years at the moment.

OK OK :). Located my nearest dealer and will go have a look! Prices for pre-registered models do look very keen and the 240bhb petrol looks tempting, but I probably won't be allowed to be so frivolous!

Oh go on, test drive an XT and you’ll have to buy it. You can justify it because it’s not diesel and no one will have a clue what it is. Be quick though as I think the XT is being discontinued due to EU regs, so last chance to get this wolf in sheeps clothing. Having said that, the 150 petrol auto is still very nice...

Oh go on, test drive an XT and you’ll have to buy it. You can justify it because it’s not diesel and no one will have a clue what it is. Be quick though as I think the XT is being discontinued due to EU regs, so last chance to get this wolf in sheeps clothing. Having said that, the 150 petrol auto is still very nice...
I've just taken a look at the Scooby website, thanks to the mentions on here. The XT seems to have a CVT rather than a conventional gearbox, or am I mistaken? I don't think I'd enjoy that.

I would echo that Ponty, Drive one before you decide, its an incredibly good 4x4 system and auto / cvt box. Petrol too in either 2.0l or 2.5l if you go for the XT. Forester will be my next car thats for certain. Not sure how relevant it is but its also the class leader for ground clearance at 220mm (think the new volvo XC might just be a few mm more but most lag well behind)

Depends on what you want. We went for a Vauxhall Crossland X, which is basically a tall Astra. It's reasonably pokey and the auto box is better than the Skoda's IMHO. It's roomy, has lots of useful tech (lane drift, carplay, auto everything) and was pretty inexpensive for what you get.

That said, I have a MR-2 if I fancy a nice drive!

Stephen

veering slightly off topic , glad you could buy one . been with vauxhall for many years as they look after me well , cars are incredibly reliable and dealers close. i loooked carefully at the crossland so look forward to hearing how you get on. i wondered if a 1.2 was adequate for a fairly big car . in the end i decided the rear visibilty was not good enough so got one of the outgoing vauxhall models which has superb visibilty but not as flash as the crossland

A VW Tiguan or maybe the soon to be released VW T Roc should fit your needs - Available in petrol but the Euro 6 diesel is probably the better option
In the Times today the 3 litre BMW Diesel is 5 times cleaner on Nox than petrol Renaul or Nissan Kashqai

Two years insurance and servicing will eat up that 20K!

If you're even vaguely tempted price it up.

I'm paying £500 for Macan insurance and my 1992 Porsche 928 hasn't given me any big bills in 20 years.

Service at a decent indy isn't expensive.

Depreciation can be the big intangible cost, it's now well negative on the 928.

Buy something new and kiss goodbye to 30% overnight!

Do they sell the Subaru Crosstrek in your country? It's their most compact "tall" vehicle here, essentially an Imprezza estate with a lift kit.

I hope you're not allergic to CVT transmissions though.

Edit: It's called the "XV" in the UK market. Two co-workers have Crosstreks and are very happy with them.

Compared to the UK XV, the US Crosstek has a more aggressive-looking bodykit and is available in more lurid colors.

Last edited:
If you're even vaguely tempted price it up.

I'm paying £500 for Macan insurance and my 1992 Porsche 928 hasn't given me any big bills in 20 years.

Service at a decent indy isn't expensive.

Depreciation can be the big intangible cost, it's now well negative on the 928.

Buy something new and kiss goodbye to 30% overnight!

I know Dweezil! I'm just not a Porsche kind of guy...

I'd probably go for a Ford and may well do when my very old Saab gives up.
Certainly only a petrol or hybrid

Prices liable to be much less than the alternatives.

I've just taken a look at the Scooby website, thanks to the mentions on here. The XT seems to have a CVT rather than a conventional gearbox, or am I mistaken? I don't think I'd enjoy that.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the shifting and driving qualities of a WRX with the SLT (CVT) transmission. I'd buy one if MT wasn't available.

Definitely going to try the Forester - I've got a dealer less than 10 miles away...
As Yanks says above have a look at an XV while your checking out the Forester, similar 220mm of ground clearance, same transmission option on the new model due in the Uk early 2018, but a smaller car that's about 5k cheaper if you don't need the size of the Forester.

AT the risk of trying to get someone to validate my own choice....

Another Skoda option would be the Octavia Scout with the DSG box - slightly higher ride height than standard model. Having driven manuals all my life, I have this transmission on my Octavia vRS and I can't fault it (very hard to find manual transmission cars in NZ). You may be able to find a good deal on an ex-demo model with most of the warranty intact, as Skoda brought out a 'facelift' model earlier in the year. scores very highly for reliability and customer satisfaction - a lot of car for the money. Not sure if you want AWD though?

Forgot to add. boot is enormous, even on the 'liftback' also the same family as your Leon.plenty of clout with the 2l turbo, which iis a great engine with good economy, too.

Last edited:
Subaru XV?

I'd advise caution. Unless you're in need of a rugged off-road hatchback, the Autocar review will put you off.

Unless you absolutely need 4WD, don't buy one.

Subaru make fine cars, however there are two major buts. They are thirsty, and they pollute. It was for those reasons that I discounted them last time round.

By the way, you can safely ignore reviews in car magazines. Like those for HiFi, they are 99% subjective opinions so unreliable, in that the only one that is reliable is your own. Test drives are compulsory, or, even better, hiring the vehicle for a couple of days. Reliability surveys are worth reading, however.

advertisement

Back