advertisement

Need help identifying suitable new car

We have friends with a Qashqai and it surprised me how nice it was to be in. However I'd personally have to steer well clear of the diesels after reading about how absolutely bloomin' awful their emissions are in real use (google Qashqai diesel emissions or similar).

audi q2 is very classy and will give you 150 bhp . never driven one but enjoyed sitting in one recently . the new jag e-pace gets good write-ups

there are so many crossovers now , the new vw t-roc looks good

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/troc/home

as does the kia stonic

http://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/ston...Vir_tCh2IsgyMEAAYASAAEgIP__D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

and I like the seat arona

after hunting around lots of cars I bought a car with higher up seats , 1.4 100bhp engine , fully loaded with everything you need , 6 speaker stereo , superb visibility and nice looking brand new [ pre reg] for less than 1/3rd of your 30k budget . its very comfortable too on the knees .

I vote for the BMW X1 as well. Very nice car like mini SUV and in budget just about new and lots of nearly new out there as well. We have a bunch of them as company cars at work albeit diesesels.

I just had a quick look at Macans on Autotrader, and the lowest asking price for a petrol is £38k. Almost all those advertised are diesels.

Again, thanks to everybody for the ideas. I'm almost overwhelmed!

Got a test drive in an Ateca on Friday, and will look at the Mazda CX5, a Honda something-or-other, the X1 (although BMWs for some reason attract the attention of our local vandals) and the Audi Q2 (which looks intriguing but will need some serious haggling to get what I'd want). I'd better try the Qashquai as the market leader, but I might struggle with 110bhp!

My biggest problem is going to be engine choice. Diesels are clearly the engine of choice, but although I do decent mileage in the winter especially it is plenty of short journeys and my experience with a diesel Passat was not good we are also moreenvironmentally opposed..), closely followed by prices, although I haven't looked too closely at prices for nearly-new or pre-registered.

I can't thank everyone enough.
Rick

Depends on what you want. We went for a Vauxhall Crossland X, which is basically a tall Astra. It's reasonably pokey and the auto box is better than the Skoda's IMHO. It's roomy, has lots of useful tech (lane drift, carplay, auto everything) and was pretty inexpensive for what you get.

That said, I have a MR-2 if I fancy a nice drive!

Stephen

Do try a Honda CR-V. You can get a 2.0 VTEC petrol auto for under your budget. Great cars, and bulletproof.

Again, thanks to everybody for the ideas. I'm almost overwhelmed!

Got a test drive in an Ateca on Friday, and will look at the Mazda CX5, a Honda something-or-other, the X1 (although BMWs for some reason attract the attention of our local vandals) and the Audi Q2 (which looks intriguing but will need some serious haggling to get what I'd want). I'd better try the Qashquai as the market leader, but I might struggle with 110bhp!

My biggest problem is going to be engine choice. Diesels are clearly the engine of choice, but although I do decent mileage in the winter especially it is plenty of short journeys and my experience with a diesel Passat was not good we are also moreenvironmentally opposed..), closely followed by prices, although I haven't looked too closely at prices for nearly-new or pre-registered.

I can't thank everyone enough.
Rick

Seriously, take a look at a Forester. They fly under the radar and will not attract the attention of local scrotes. Generally driven by people who could buy anything but don’t want to scream and shout. Deep engineering, fantastically reliable, brilliant AWD system, very comfy, 5 year warranty although pretty irrelevant (most buy new, keep for 10+ years then buy another new one). A refreshing change from the mass produced German stuff. By the way, as well as a Forester, I have a VW California and my wife has an Audi Allroad on order (purely because of a bonkers cheap 2 year lease deal so they can keep the volumes up). I would not have any of the German stuff outside of warranty but will keep the Subaru for a long long time.

Seriously, take a look at a Forester. They fly under the radar and will not attract the attention of local scrotes. Generally driven by people who could buy anything but don’t want to scream and shout. Deep engineering, fantastically reliable, brilliant AWD system, very comfy, 5 year warranty although pretty irrelevant (most buy new, keep for 10+ years then buy another new one). A refreshing change from the mass produced German stuff. By the way, as well as a Forester, I have a VW California and my wife has an Audi Allroad on order (purely because of a bonkers cheap 2 year lease deal so they can keep the volumes up). I would not have any of the German stuff outside of warranty but will keep the Subaru for a long long time.

OK OK :). Located my nearest dealer and will go have a look! Prices for pre-registered models do look very keen and the 240bhb petrol looks tempting, but I probably won't be allowed to be so frivolous!

advertisement

Back