advertisement

Need help identifying suitable new car

The problem with most reviews is that they appear to compare say, a Vauxhall to a Porsche. Most reviews of the Vauxhall Crossland said it was terrible and wallowy to drive. It's not. It drives fine. It's just not a Porsche.

Stephen
Isn't it a Peugeot?, and the main criticism of it was the price difference between it and the French equivalent

...the Crossland is nicer to look at and sit in.

Stephen

That’s always struck me as an interesting paradox. Why is the look of a car so important when you spend more time driving it than looking at it? Is it just a fear that your friends may be laughing at you? To me the colour of a car I am thinking of buying is also pretty irrelevant for the same reason.

That’s always struck me as an interesting paradox. Why is the look of a car so important when you spend more time driving it than looking at it? Is it just a fear that your friends may be laughing at you? To me the colour of a car I am thinking of buying is also pretty irrelevant for the same reason.

From what you've said, you obviously take no interest in what you wear or how your hair looks? I mean, you spend more time looking away from yourself than at.

From what you've said, you obviously take no interest in what you wear or how your hair looks? I mean, you spend more time looking away from yourself than at.

Indeed, as much as is humanly possible, assuming you mean visually rather than analytically - that’s a different matter. ‘No, I don’t’ is probably the answer, as long as my hair and clothes are both clean and presentable - beyond that it is just fashion really, isn’t it? And I’ve never had much interest in that.

Indeed, as much as is humanly possible, assuming you mean visually rather than analytically - that’s a different matter. ‘No, I don’t’ is probably the answer, as long as my hair and clothes are both clean and presentable - beyond that it is just fashion really, isn’t it? And I’ve never had much interest in that.

I'm no fashionista, as a few here can confirm :) but I don't feel that people who like certain colours and shapes need criticising. That might make you seem as fashion conscious as those who buy skinny jeans and winklepickers while shopping for beard treatments! :)

I certainly wasn’t criticizing anyone, and I don’t think my words (‘That’s always struck me as an interesting paradox...’) could be construed as such. But if you thought I was, well, I wasn’t. But rejecting a car solely because of its colour makes as little sense to me as refusing to buy an album because you don’t like the sleeve.

Skinny jeans, I wish. Winklepickers look very uncomfortable. Beard treatments - Tesco conditioner (and that’s only because I meant to get shampoo but couldn’t be arsed to put my specs on.)

The problem with most reviews is that they appear to compare say, a Vauxhall to a Porsche. Most reviews of the Vauxhall Crossland said it was terrible and wallowy to drive. It's not. It drives fine. It's just not a Porsche.

Stephen
yes , I read in one review that road noise was not good , well I am on my 5th one of this model Vauxhall and its as quiet as they come

I Love the way this thread is bouncing around! Test drive of the Ateca tomorrow and HRV next week, but every time I look at the brochure there's a new toy I just couldn't live without, so I find myself comparing the top of the range models with added toys. Definitely not in the plan and will need to have a severe talking to myself before talking to the sales guys!

... but every time I look at the brochure there's a new toy I just couldn't live without, so I find myself comparing the top of the range models with added toys. Definitely not in the plan and will need to have a severe talking to myself before talking to the sales guys!
Don't suffer buyer's remorse like I did the last time, when I settled for something less than all that I wanted.

I don't believe you. I don't believe anyone who says they don't care about their car as long as it's reliable, just as I don't believe anyone who says they don't care what clothes they wear, how they have their hair or anything else. The point is that all these things affect the way other people behave towards you, and if you don't care about that then you are a sociopath.

I don't believe you. I don't believe anyone who says they don't care about their car as long as it's reliable, just as I don't believe anyone who says they don't care what clothes they wear, how they have their hair or anything else. The point is that all these things affect the way other people behave towards you, and if you don't care about that then you are a sociopath.
Or a Nissan Juke fan.

I don't believe you. I don't believe anyone who says they don't care about their car as long as it's reliable, just as I don't believe anyone who says they don't care what clothes they wear, how they have their hair or anything else.

Which part of my post that you quoted do you not believe? That it has always struck me as an interesting paradox? It’s true. That the colour of a car is pretty irrelevant to me? It’s true. The last two cars I have leased were spectacularly good value and not the colour I would have chosen if I had had a full choice. But I took them anyway. So yes, I obviously do care a bit or I wouldn’t have even enquired about the colour before I saw them. There is a difference between not considering something to be a major factor and not caring at all.

The point is that all these things affect the way other people behave towards you, and if you don't care about that then you are a sociopath.

No need to get so het up! At least now I know your view - in your opinion choice of car colour is an important consideration because it affects other people’s behaviour towards you. Thank you.

Have to say I’m with Marchbanks here. I always say to the dealer that I don’t mind what colour if he can get the vehicle I want ASAP. Similarly I’m very comfortable with who I am and have no concern if other people like me or not, although I try to be likeable because it is less stressful. For clothes, I find stuff that fits and is comfortable then buy several of them and wear them for years. Don’t think anyone would describe me as a sociopath.

No need to get so het up!
Who's het up? I'm making an observation, I'm hardly het up.
At least now I know your view - in your opinion choice of car colour is an important consideration.
No, not at all. The colour of the thing is neither here nor there, extreme choices aside, like a baby pink Porsche. How it looks oberall is what affects other people's behaviour, and that is important.

Which part of my post that you quoted do you not believe?
The bit where you imply that because you sit inside a car the way it looks on the outside is of no concern to you and therefore has no bearing on your life. Similarly choice of clothes, glasses, wristwatches and other jewellery, etc.

There are, I think, valid considerations as to colour. The 'wrong' colour is known to affect the resale value, or the ease with which the car will sell when you come to move it on. Not so much of an issue on a PCP, obvs (though I suppose it may have been factored in to the montly costs), but otherwise, a consideration. Secondly, I'm not only 'using' a car when I'm driving it. It will spend a lot of time sat outside my house, or place of work. If it offends me, or disappoints me, that will mar those other occasions, even if only slightly. Finally, as has been mentioned, people make unconscious judgements. If I see a grey Porsche, I think 'nice car'. If I see an acid green Porsche, I may fleetingly think 'egotistical dickhead'. It'd be interesting to see whether there is any correlation between colour and the likelihood of a car getting keyed.

If I see an acid green Porsche, I may fleetingly think 'egotistical dickhead'. It'd be interesting to see whether there is any correlation between colour and the likelihood of a car getting keyed.
There will be. As a lot of keying incidents are motivated by "egotistical dickhead" thoughts, then colour will be a factor. A minor one compared with model and where you leave it though. Colour has a bearing on accidents. Red cars are more likely to be driven by boy racers, certainly were in the past, and grey cars (see also resale silver) are more likely to be not seen on a murky day in the rain.

Funny, isn't it. You buy a new car and fret about getting the 'right' options and colour.

You buy a used car with that mindset and you do not get what you want. I went through a stage of wanting a particular model of car, used, but it HAD to have certain combination of options. Needless to say after months of searches, included automated ones by manufacturers used car search alerts, I never found what I wanted.

So ended up buying new, something entirely different and then (cos my wife was over my shoulder) not quite getting the right spec. Which she now ruefully agrees!

Funny, isn't it. You buy a new car and fret about getting the 'right' options and colour.

You buy a used car with that mindset and you do not get what you want. I went through a stage of wanting a particular model of car, used, but it HAD to have certain combination of options. Needless to say after months of searches, included automated ones by manufacturers used car search alerts, I never found what I wanted.

So ended up buying new, something entirely different and then (cos my wife was over my shoulder) not quite getting the right spec. Which she now ruefully agrees!
To my mind, the main reason to buy a new car would be to get the precise combination of colour and options you want (assuming that combination wasn't already specced by everybody else and therefore also common in used cars). It's your call whether that is worth the depreciation hit, to you.

Buying used, I'd have a (short) list of 'must haves' (mostly relating to what engine, manual or auto gearbox, number of doors, and other fundamentals) and then I'd compare the available vehicles to see if any looked likely to suit. I'd probably spend a few weeks, and get a feel for the likely spec, then plump for the best fit. There might also be the occasional 'not at any cost' choices too, probably hideous colours/trim choices, aftermarket bodykits and such like.

photo.php
Some people care about colour in their immediate environment, some don't.

I definitely don't want to be surrounded by the variations of monochrome that appear to be fashionable today.

Car is just a small extension of that, why not choose to have what may be your largest investment in a colour you like?

I've never had a car keyed but have had "cool car" written in the mud on the side.

advertisement

Back