advertisement

NAIM Shoebox case from AudioFlat

I always thought the CB version were made by cutting an extrusion just over twice as long, painting then cutting in half. Just a guess... it could be that the paint was just linished (sanded) off .. if so they did a good job of them.

Nice work Andrew.

Linishing, that's a new one on me! Maybe I will find out how it's done and include instructions how to CB the case.

The finish on the aluminium appears to be smooth in the pictures. Does the texture in the Naim cases come from the paint and not the metal?

Andy

How exactly would you suggest this 3 part sled was constructed flashgo?

"Exactly" isn't the term I'd use since there are many workable possibilities. One easy DIY solution would be to use L-brackets at both ends of the bottom plate. With countersunk holes and bolt heads to match, the sled could still slide. Depending on your aesthetics, a nice front panel solution would have tapped holes from the back side.

"Exactly" isn't the term I'd use since there are many workable possibilities. One easy DIY solution would be to use L-brackets at both ends of the bottom plate. With countersunk holes and bolt heads to match, the sled could still slide. Depending on your aesthetics, a nice front panel solution would have tapped holes from the back side.

Which is all fine but lets just walk first! I don't even know if we are going to sell the first 1000, let alone start working on different versions!

I've been making my own cases in this way for years. The 'sled' on my cases is made up from a 3mm base and 1mm front and back connected to it. Using alu angle section and the front panel glued with 'super steel' or something and everything else bolted. The top is made in a U shape using 3mm top and sides again held together with glued angle section. This method works after a fashion and is great for non standard size boxes but the key problem is the diy painting. It just flakes off a bit over time even when I use etch primer. It's not a massive problem for me because most of my boxes are hidden away in cupboards. it's much cheaper than FlatP's boxes but has zero WAF if on show in any way :)

Tim

Hi Tim.

What I am offering is a 100% replica of a NAIM shoebox case, including the paint finish and inner tray. This doesn't come cheap I'm afraid.

No I appreciate that and for what it's worth I think they're well worth the money and if my gear was on show there's no question that you'd have some of my filthy lucre

Tim

Which is all fine but lets just walk first!

I'm happy to DIY my own sled (because the milling will be better and cheaper), but I was hoping to bring down the price a bit by buying sans sled, etc.

BTW, I've always preferred the CB look, so linishing sounds just the ticket!

I'm gutted that I missed this. Andrew, when will they go on the Bay and will they be BIN or auction?

People.

I have just realised that this discussion should be in the trade 'discussion' section of pfm. I have asked Tony to move it as I don't want the pfm community rubbished by some bald Yorkshire bloke flogging bits of ally!
In addtion I like posting on pfm and want to keep my own personal points of view and those of my business venture apart. I dont want:-

OP: Should I buy a NAIM 112 or 122x

Flatpopely: Neither, buy a 72 and a NEW SHOEBOX CASE FROM MY COMPANY.

I want to promote my products, but in the correct way. We all know what viral marketing has done to pfm in the past.

Which is all fine but lets just walk first! I don't even know if we are going to sell the first 1000, let alone start working on different versions!

Crumbs..... risky business taking on there Flats. Large outlay for not knowing the return :eek: Certainly not a contender for Dragons Den :)

I guess one doesn't get rich tho' without taking risks, hope all goes well. Can't help you tho' to sell them as Naim gear is near zero in my place.

Crumbs..... risky business taking on there Flats. Large outlay for not knowing the return :eek: Certainly not a contender for Dragons Den :)

I guess one doesn't get rich tho' without taking risks, hope all goes well. Can't help you tho' to sell them as Naim gear is near zero in my place.

Speculate to accumulate..............or loose everything.

When can we expect to see them ready & shipped? Will we be able to order different drillings in the inner sleeve for, say PS, Pre-Amp and PWAmp?
Cheers
Harthold

When can we expect to see them ready & shipped? Will we be able to order different drillings in the inner sleeve for, say PS, Pre-Amp and PWAmp?
Cheers
Harthold

They will be available in 1-2 months. Yes we can drill for different applications but that will add to cost and delivery times.

advertisement

Back