• Sixties

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Seventies

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Eighties and beyond

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
Tony,

Must be referring to these active and passive Marxists who are doing their damndest to screw everything that was good about civilization—
  • 2010–2016: David Cameron
  • 2016–2019: Theresa May
  • 2019–2022: Boris Johnson
  • a few nanoseconds during 2022: Liz Truss
  • 2022–present: Rishi Sunak

Joe
From a man from a country with a Justin...

Paul,

From a man from a country with a Justin...

From a man who is a climate change denier, who proudly votes consistently for jive turkeys, and who enthusiastically administered to himself a swift kick in the nuts.

Joe

One year?
My niece asked me once about this kind of stuff. I had no idea what to say except something corny, so i just said. Try to learn from every new experience. Those happen most days, and still are in the mid 70's so? Just open your eyes and live:)

(Late teen and) 20s - Refined my taste in music and went to the best alternative music gigs, watched great modern dance performances, plays and art exhibitions, had a great time and learned a lot at Uni, started working and did lots of backpack travelling in Asia, met my wife.
Interestingly I dedicated very little time to this hobby, maybe had better things to do :D.

Indeed, and I'd be surprised if it isn't a natural tendency in getting old (er?). What could be a very long week when in teens/twenties now passes in a flash. The irony is that there are fewer weeks to pass in one's dotage.

Not sure why this should be unless it's the change in subjective time between working (esp. in a clock-watching' job) and retirement. Possibly also because when younger one is forward-looking, striving for enhancement (and pay-day?).

There's a great read about this, if you know Dutch 😊

If I remember correctly this has to do with how our brain works. When you're young, you (subconsciously) note a lot more new stuff and that makes every day seem longer. When you're older, you have seen most stuff already so you don't store that much anymore.

Mid teens to mid twenties were the best time of my life. Some missteps taken then which took a long time to correct. Got into computers at Uni when they were wildly exotic and room sized. Professional glory days were my 30s doing network and distributed systems R&D in Cambridge, somewhat lacklustre since. Despite a very impoverished childhood and some poor choices since I have managed to survive, maybe even thrive; one goal was to avoid descending back into poverty, managed that. Now approaching 70, older but with the suspicion that any accumulated wisdom got there by accident.

In hifi terms, went to Uni from a council flat with 5 LPs and an autochange stereo record player with a lid made by clipping the speakers to it. Rich kid across the corridor had a massive rig including Kef Cadenzas, the system on which I heard DSoTM on the day it was released. By my mid 20s had a lot more albums, my own Cadenzas, the newly released Rega Planar 2 w/ Grado F1+, an Akai 4000DS and a Nytech CTA252 amp. Still have the Rega and Nytech in boxes and pretty much every LP I have ever bought including the 5 I took to Uni.

If I could relive one year over again it would be 17, 6th form, no responsibilities, no consequences and could see an escape from the gutter; also sex, the other thing, and rock and roll.

Last edited:
Teens (1980's): No responsibilities, no worries, endless free time to fill with various adventures involving either my schoolmates or my immediate family. Sunny summers and snowy winters (rose coloured recollections I wonder?) Working out my modus operandi which I have adhered to ever since: decide what's important to me, do it to the best of my ability and ignore the rest. All conducted to the soundtrack of new releases from the decade that to my ears is unsurpassed.

Twenties was a close second: Worked too hard (7/10 of the lads in my section at work ended up divorced: hours, stress) but I now earned good money. Which unlike my student days allowed me to fully enter into the drink and clubbing culture of the 90's where I had more adventures and survived more scrapes involving my hedonistic pursuit of excitement.

Thirties (noughties): The drinking/clubbing culture died off and I found the town centres a shadow of their former bouncing selves. I got into longhaul travel to fill the void. But it was never the adrenaline rush of the 90's and so I passed through this decade reasonably contented and rarely thrilled. I felt myself change too just like how the backdrop to my formerly exciting twenties become a less exciting version of itself in its heyday.

Forties: really got into photography, a lifelong hobby. Discovered the elation of a beautiful sunrise down on the beach as I packed up my kit before heading home to inspect my results. Then covid and furlough came along: it was like being a teenager again, mortgage gone, 70% of pay coming in, no responsibilities, endless time to follow my interests, I loved it. I realised I was was perfectly suited to retirement :)

My hobbies have hardly changed throughout my life. Photography, weight training, nice cars and all of the wonderful experiences of having the right woman in my life.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back