Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Seventies

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Eighties and beyond

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

James

Lord of the Erg\o/s
They always say the best years are yet to come. For our demographic, retirement is supposedly something to look forward to. I'm keen to hear about your views and experiences as to which of your decades is the best for you so far, and why?

As a bonus question, if you could relive one year over and over again, what age were you and why would you?

Eighties and beyond...I live in hope.

err....sixties....I live in hope..

err...finishing the fifties...I live in hope..;)

Teen and twenties was rubbish and hard work, 30’s was great, started a business, got married, lived a LOT. 40’s was exhausting raising 4 kids, 3 months into my 50’s now - so far so good!

60s. No question. Feeling fit, least stressful decade since the first one (no exams, no work, no financial commitments), able to grow old disgracefully and being paid without employment. And being called ‘love’, ‘darling’ and ‘sweetheart’ by supermarket checkout ladies when you start fumbling in your pockets for the specs you are already wearing, or accidentally try to pay for your groceries by tapping your bus pass on the contactless card machine is an unexpected bonus.

20's
I did the most stupid, boldest, craziest things I could even imagine.
But I had soooooo much fun

30s - youthful naivety gone, earned plenty of money, Thatcher's government ousted, optimistic about the time ahead (youthful naivety not gone obviously :D) , travelled loads, ate well and thought I was immortal... even on trackdays... ah well... at least I can still remember it.

It's a coin-flip between my 20s and my 40s.
  • Twenties because I was young, dumb and full of spunk to do all sorts of silly and fun things like riding stupidly fast on motorcycles, living large and making some of my most vivid memories.
  • Forties because I was travelling the world, had the means to indulge in things and toys that made me happy, and my children were at their most delightful ages.
My groundhog age would have to be 21. Second year at university, living in a hostel with twice as many women as men, and far far away from parental supervision. Going feral was so much fun; I'm surprised I passed some of my papers. If only I know then what I know now ...

My teens into my twenties were fantastic, worked hard and played harder. I’ve enjoyed the ageing process apart from a few aches and pains and some weight gain which I’m tackling now, in my mid fifties. I think I’ve enjoyed each decade more than the proceeding one.

Edit; further thinking about this something came to me that I couldn't grasp originally, I feel as I've got older that I've grown into myself and got a sense of of who I am. Hope that makes sense?

Cheers BB

Last edited:
A toss-up between my twenties and forties... but I've plumped for my forties as a number of significant events and processes took place in my forties that have enriched my life immeasurably. Sure, I had loads of energy in my twenties, and I had the best three months of my life ever when I went on expedition to Namibia with Raleigh International and generally did a lot more travelling, and I had the metabolism of an Olympic athlete, and blah blah blah.

But I really became me in my forties. I did the Marie Kondo tidying up thing after my hoarding nature had become a problem, plus I felt the benefits inside as well as in my flat; I ran a marathon, running from start to finish non-stop; I became vegan; I became an all-year cyclist, I discovered the Addis pad combo - that was a close one as I only discovered the combo a couple of weeks before I turned 50 back in April there; and I met the woman of my life as well. If I had to boil it down to three things I'd say doing the Marie Kondo thing, becoming vegan and meeting my partner trumps everything that came before.

I joined pfm back in 2012 so that was obviously a good year. But my forties have been the best years of my life so far.

20s

I could eat and drink without downsides
I was fit and bendy and everything worked properly
Single and enjoying it
Travelling enough
All my family and friends were still alive
We hadn’t cut ourselves off from Europe

The future was rosey and bright and exciting

30's for me. Firts and foremost, being old enough to be taken seriously while not being the least old. Earning enough money to have a number of cars and a high flung HiFi-system. Actually, it lasted into the 40's.

Worst, when at it, was being a teen. Not for the usual reasons, more having to go to a school where guns where around and girls raped in the toilet. Sweden was that already 50 years ago...

Toss-up between my thirties and my fifties. My twenties had their moments, but were pretty grim in other respects. Got married at thirty, so that decade was lovely but we were short of cash. Fifties saw a career change which eventually dealt with the cash issue. Still married to the same woman, still very happy about that.

This is a difficult question to answer because we all have different aims and goals as we get older. Twenties meant marriage (same wife and still going strong) plus the birth of 3 sons which was rewarding, however I was an ambitious little bastard back then and I had to have the best of everything and my bank balance suffered accordingly. The Thirties and Forties were good and everything went well.

I suppose Fifties were the best career wise and the last five years of which were spent consulting and the cash just poured in and I was happy to be like this forever.

The best decade without doubt was the Sixties. The wife demanded I retired at 61 which I did. To be honest the stress was becoming a killer as the jobs got tougher and deadlines tighter. Consultancy demands an old head but also a young body and being on a rail platform at 6.30am and getting home at 8.00pm slowly takes it out of you. I knew she was right and agreed to enter into retirement. This quickly became the decade of long holidays abroad in good hotels and plenty of time spent in the second home in Spain. We were lucky to have had such a brilliant retirement.

The Seventies started with Covid and all of its restrictions and the wife suffered a stroke but she is now recovering well. We still spend about 5 months a year in Spain and Sue is now able to drive again but needs a walking stick to get around. This is a mixed decade because whilst we are financially secure, our friends are slowly losing their health and dying and it's obvious that our time will soon be no more. However it has been a good life.

40s for me, paid the mortgage off, kids doing well & I was healthier & happier. The very end of the decade was marred by Covid & a hip replacement. Too early to decide on my 50s, only 2 years in.

Best decade? The one before I was born, I guess, because it's been uphill ever since! Best year? Well, judging by my 1967 diary (my first complete one), this was my best as far as parties, foreign adventures and fornication were concerned, but not from the p.o.v. of employment. Hampstead, NW6 in 60s London.

Haven't covered 1966 diary yet but it'd have to go some until college days in '70 onward. :) Of course, Hifi all the way all the time; beats 'come and see my etchings' any time:D

Again hard question to answer, though I’d say the area 15-25 was the one where I learned the most (I learned nothing at all at school, I absolutely detested the place). That 15-25 area was where I really started to deep-dive music, audio, got my first taste of computers, basically everything that has defined my life since. It wasn’t a total win, I left school onto the mass unemployment of the 1980s, and I guess that shaped my politics, though I ducked and dived and had a good time in the counterculture.

The middle decade (25-35 by the way I’m counting) was kind of meh. I always hated work almost as much as school. Though I went through a couple of periods of good pay in IT.

The period from my late 30s to now (60) has been pfm, and that has been, on the whole, great. I’m actually able to scrape a living doing my own thing entirely! I’m still not quite sure if I retired in my late 30s. I may have done. I’ve certainly managed to avoid the rat-race entirely aside from that 25-35 decade where all my conventional employment is concentrated. Even then a lot of it was contracting/consultancy. I’ve certainly never wanted “a career”, in fact that has been the one defining thing of my entire life!

advertisement

Back