Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Sixties

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Seventies

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Eighties and beyond

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
When I was younger, I had a long list* of hobbies and interest, loads of energy and time on my hands; but not the money to indulge them as much as I'd like. Closer to my age now, I can afford to indulge in almost anything I want to; but time, energy and sometimes interest, always seem to be in short supply. Life is such a paradox.

*photography, cycling, motorcycling, cars, scale-modelling, radio-controlled cars/planes, kite-flying, hifi, making music (guitar and piano), snooker, tennis, badminton, woodworking, DIY loudspeakers ... just to name a few.

How many of you have retained all your youthful interests and/or replaced them with more age-appropriate ones?

Teens here. Born in 58. 1972 onwards started to go to gigs and buy LP's. Saw so many bands live during my teenage years. We used to go everywhere. Leeds York Sheffield Doncaster Scarborough Bridlington. There was always a band to go and see somewhere every single night of the week back then - Stray , Budgie, Groundhogs , Man, UFO, Spirit , David Bowie , Roxy Music, Hawkwind, Vinegar Joe, Wishbone Ash, Nazareth, Thin Lizzy, Gasworks, Edgar Broughton, Caravan, The Butts Band,SAHB,Cockney Rebel, BeBop Deluxe, Sparks, Deaf School, Dr Feelgood , Tom Petty, Bob Marley, Graham Parker and the Rumour , Roogalator, Blondie, Television, The Clash, The Pistols, The Damned , Eddie and the Hot Rods, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers , Richard Hell ,Pere Ubu, Bauhaus, Magazine, The Monochrome Set , Echo and the Bunnymen, The Stranglers , The Cramps , Iggy Pop, Lou Reed , Frank Zappa. There's just too much stuff to mention that happened between 1971 and 1978 really. And I wouldn't change any of it. TBH Life in general became a bit boring when I grew up and started to get fixated with money and achieving stuff (don't have kids - just materialistic things)

They always say the best years are yet to come. For our demographic, retirement is supposedly something to look forward to. I'm keen to hear about your views and experiences as to which of your decades is the best for you so far, and why?

As a bonus question, if you could relive one year over and over again, what age were you and why would you?
Nice thread James, the stories behind the votes will be rich ones I’m sure.

Teens here. Born in 58. 1972 onwards started to go to gigs and buy LP's. Saw so many bands live during my teenage years. We used to go everywhere. Leeds York Sheffield Doncaster Scarborough Bridlington. There was always a band to go and see somewhere every single night of the week back then - Stray , Budgie, Groundhogs , Man, UFO, Spirit , David Bowie , Roxy Music, Hawkwind, Vinegar Joe, Wishbone Ash, Nazareth, Thin Lizzy, Gasworks, Edgar Broughton, Caravan, The Butts Band,SAHB,Cockney Rebel, BeBop Deluxe, Sparks, Deaf School, Dr Feelgood , Tom Petty, Bob Marley, Graham Parker and the Rumour , Roogalator, Blondie, Television, The Clash, The Pistols, The Damned , Eddie and the Hot Rods, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers , Richard Hell ,Pere Ubu, Bauhaus, Magazine, The Monochrome Set , Echo and the Bunnymen, The Stranglers , The Cramps , Iggy Pop, Lou Reed , Frank Zappa. There's just too much stuff to mention that happened between 1971 and 1978 really. And I wouldn't change any of it. TBH Life in general became a bit boring when I grew up and started to get fixated with money and achieving stuff (don't have kids - just materialistic things)
My life just flashed in front of me. 1959.:)

How many of you have retained all your youthful interests and/or replaced them with more age-appropriate ones?

I think I’ve changed remarkably little. Far less than most people. I’ve always had a few very tightly focused interests; music, record collecting, audio, tinkering about with computers and cycling, though the latter could be described as a necessity as I’ve never been a driver. Everything has been in place as long as I can remember aside from computers which appeared on my radar in my late teens (long after school, where there were none). Politics arrived whilst coming to terms with the reality I arrived into and was in substantial part formed by the music reflecting those times. It started at school with TRB, Rock Against Racism, Two Tone etc, and hasn’t really developed since. I’m still focused mostly on human rights, civil liberties, and trolling Nazis.

I’ve always had no interest in convention or conformity and little if any respect for authority. I’ve only ever wanted to be left alone to do my own thing. Age has brought experience, knowledge and better social skills, but it has also blunted my brain. I can no longer think or recall things the way I could. The photo memory etc is gone. It is strange, but fundamentally I haven’t changed. My interests are still what they were at 13 or 14. Time has obviously changed, it moves far, far faster now, though I think everyone feels that. A week was a very long time at 13 but barely registers now.

A week was a very long time at 13 but barely registers now.

Indeed, and I'd be surprised if it isn't a natural tendency in getting old (er?). What could be a very long week when in teens/twenties now passes in a flash. The irony is that there are fewer weeks to pass in one's dotage.

Not sure why this should be unless it's the change in subjective time between working (esp. in a clock-watching' job) and retirement. Possibly also because when younger one is forward-looking, striving for enhancement (and pay-day?).

They say that you get happier as you get older & that youth is wasted on the young. Rather trru I feel.

This is a great thread as we all have our ups & downs.

The next one.

Even if the active and passive Marxists are doing their damndest to screw everything that was good about civilisation.

Tony,

Must be referring to these active and passive Marxists who are doing their damndest to screw everything that was good about civilization—
  • 2010–2016: David Cameron
  • 2016–2019: Theresa May
  • 2019–2022: Boris Johnson
  • a few nanoseconds during 2022: Liz Truss
  • 2022–present: Rishi Sunak

Joe

The early poll seems to tally with my view. Twenties besting the forties, but only just. I wonder if that's because there are fewer fishies under 65-70.

But I really became me in my forties. I did the Marie Kondo tidying up thing after my hoarding nature had become a problem, plus I felt the benefits inside as well as in my flat; I ran a marathon, running from start to finish non-stop; I became vegan; I became an all-year cyclist, I discovered the Addis pad combo - that was a close one as I only discovered the combo a couple of weeks before I turned 50 back in April there; and I met the woman of my life as well. If I had to boil it down to three things I'd say doing the Marie Kondo thing, becoming vegan and meeting my partner trumps everything that came before.

If your new partner beats Addis pads she must be some woman!

After much thought I have voted for under 10. I remember it as a decade where everything was new and exciting; where every day was filled with fun and adventure; where you had no responsibilities or financial or emotional worries; where girls were platonic playmates; where everything was uncomplicated.

I also enjoyed all other decades but in different ways and with challenges that as a child I did not have.

Thirties.

Life partner already met, old enough to have gained some useful experience but with still plenty to learn. Career interesting and quite rewarding without the subsequently greater responsibilities and pressure that came not long after. Youthful enough to make the most of all of it.

But more significantly, close family and friends all healthy and active to enjoy those times with. That didn’t last long enough.

advertisement

Back