advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
that makes great sense!
Will the FDAC have an analogue pre-amplifier?

Uwe

It depends upon our skill / results of our FPGA work - lets see where we are in 6 months time with the MDAC2 ESS / Discrete DAC boards.

Does "FPGA Modulator" mean included DSP capabilities?
Or is that a different step?

Personally, i'm increasingly convinced that I would like to do room correction sooner or later, in not even digital x-over...

Does "FPGA Modulator" mean included DSP capabilities?
Or is that a different step?

Personally, i'm increasingly convinced that I would like to do room correction sooner or later, in not even digital x-over...

Room correction is a great thing if used wisely I have a DSP plate amp running my bass section,note not a sub.I had a big 50 Hz boom not helped by having a room with the height one half of the width.No amount of moving things around made any great improvement but now I have a notch at 50 Hz via the plate amp and problem solved 😁

Wow, great new ideas John :)
Sure looks like it makes a lot of sense to forget about the ESS DAC's altogether and really spent time on discrete only designs.
Too be honest, coming this far you shouldn't compromise, I think all involved will agree.

Well not really I need spidif inputs too, so the discreet option won't work for me.

Yes, this exactly :)

Yes this has been my point of view for awhile now - lets see where the MDAC2 "developments" lead the FDAC - the FDAC will encompass all the advances brought by the MDAC2 and go further with internal PSU and Tube stage etc.

I very much agree with this way of thinking. I believe we need to seek progress through evolution as oppose to revolution. It would be very hard to get every thing right first time and it would also be very wrong not to produce something because we think something better might be round the corner.

I think MDAC2+PSU as we have it now would be a very good and strong starting point for many future innovations. Once we have these by September October time (if everything goes according to the plan) we can move on to more refined/exotic ideas.

For sure it would also be more financially viable for JohnW.

As the MDAC2 starts to finally come together - the path to FDAC is also clearer, the MDAC2 will be released in "Stages":-

MDAC2 with Dual ESS9028PRo DAC PCB

MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC

MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC + FPGA Modulator

FDAC based on MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC + FPGA Modulator and Tube output stage.

Each step of the MDAC2 path will (hopefully) be user upgradable by exchanging internal PCB's.

Also the MDAC2 external PSU will be offered in two versions, the initial design will be "Just" a HQ PSU, with a later version with internal CDRom slot loader + SDD Drive bay and front panel mounted USB port (for USB Flash drives) to form a complete solution with the MDAC2+ Streamer.

Will the FDAC have the same main board with add-on daughter boards as options like the MDAC2 ?.

And for example if you have a full MDAC2 will these be user transferable from MDAC2 to FDAC ?.

The discrete "Dacapo" DAC will support native DSD to 512 (64, 128, 256 & 512).

Great that it supports DSD512 then we can try for our selves if up sampling to DSD and see if it makes a positive difference or not.
The HQPlayer followers claim it does and there is also several on the Roon forum using the Holo Spring DAC that makes the same claims.
Maybe the The discrete "Dacapo" DAC respond different to upsampling thatn the Sabre dac.
Yes, this exactly :)
I'm still not sure that's the solution for DSD - I fear any processing of the Native DSD will destroy DSD's advantages... MDAC2 will give us possibilities to try...
I think that Roon claim that they do up sampling and volumen in software without SQ loss all processing is done in 64bit.

I have been using a DAC that has chipless DSD implementation with HQPlayer for over a year. It's so good, that I'm not too bothered now when the FDAC arrives :p so quite glad its also coming with a chipless DAC.

I think that Roon claim that they do up sampling and volumen in software without SQ loss all processing is done in 64bit.

No, this simply cannot be - DSD's ONLY benefit is better Time domain performance and the ONLY way to preserve its time domain and perform any kind of "processing" is to throw the signal into a modulator operating significantly faster then the raw input DSD stream.

ESS can do this as its modulators are clocking near 100MHz - but any Roon software processing is not going to be anywhere near this rate.

I suspect they convert to some form of PCM then back to DSD which is criminal to the time domain fidelity of a native DSD file.

There's no other magic pill here, you can only process DSD with a far faster modulator if you want to prevent any time domain corruption of the original data.

No, this simply cannot be - DSD's ONLY benefit is better Time domain performance and the ONLY way to preserve its time domain and perform any kind of "processing" is to throw the signal into a modulator operating significantly faster then the raw input DSD stream.

ESS can do this as its modulators are clocking near 100MHz - but any Roon software processing is not going to be anywhere near this rate.

I suspect they convert to some form of PCM then back to DSD which is criminal to the time domain fidelity of a native DSD file.

There's no other magic pill here, you can only process DSD with a far faster modulator if you want to prevent any time domain corruption of the original data.

I believe HQPlayer does manipulations in the SDM domain, hence one of the few that can apply say convolutions without causing much in the way of damage.

It is mighty mighty heavy on the CPU at higher rates as a result, though. We're talking taking full advantage of Intel's AVX2 SIMD instructions - very serious stuff.

But isn't the standard practice for mixing and mastering DSD in the studios to use DXD (which is 352.8k PCM) as the internal format in systems like Merging Pyramix workstations and their ilk, even for stuff labeled "pure" or "native" DSD?

But isn't the standard practice for mixing and mastering DSD in the studios to use DXD (which is 352.8k PCM) as the internal format in systems like Merging Pyramix workstations and their ilk, even for stuff labeled "pure" or "native" DSD?

Depends what side of the fence you stand - decent DSD recordings such as from NativeDSD are Mastered from a Analogue mixing desk straight to the ADC converters - I don't give a dame about "Fake" DSD recordings I care only for real DSD.

And I not say its "standard practice" - that's only said by those trying to inflame the subject.

For many MDAC2 users, they will get the best benefit of DSD when replying recordings "Mastered" from there own Vinyl with the MDAC2's internal ADC's.

I am not convinced pmd200 would be better than the dual ess9018, is there any measurements or blind listening tests proving it?

I doubt 384kS/s and 16 bit/sample isn't transperent, i bet my money on not a single human being able to hear the difference in any recording, ofc i still want support for native DSD and 768KS/s. The limiting factor will be the tweeter, there isn't any tweeter with decent performance above 100khz.

I am not convinced pmd200 would be better than the dual ess9018, is there any measurements or blind listening tests proving it?

Quite simply the PMD100 with discrete DAC I designed in 1991 sonically blows away both ESS9018 & Dual ESS9038Q2M based DAC designs.

But why worry? - if it upsets your facilities then just go for the Dual ESS9028Pro DAC board and be happy :)

As the MDAC2 starts to finally come together - the path to FDAC is also clearer, the MDAC2 will be released in "Stages":-

MDAC2 with Dual ESS9028PRo DAC PCB

MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC

MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC + FPGA Modulator

FDAC based on MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC + FPGA Modulator and Tube output stage.

[...]

John,

If I understand the list above correctly, this means the ESS-based FDAC won't see the light of day?
Which, based on your presentation of the DaCapo Anniversary Edition, implies there won't ever be an FDAC with S/PDIF inputs?

Thanks in advance for your clarification, keep up the good work!
Pierre

Quite simply the PMD100 with discrete DAC I designed in 1991 sonically blows away both ESS9018 & Dual ESS9038Q2M based DAC designs.

But why worry? - if it upsets your facilities then just go for the Dual ESS9028Pro DAC board and be happy :)
Yes i was planning to go with the ess boad but i may change my mind, this is why i asked if there was any measurements proving the PMD to be better. You stated the pmd had 10db worse S/n ratio but it may be better in another area(such as better sounding filter).

Since the ess board will be released first i think i will go for that and just be happy, i also paid 300£ for a slave unit but i am not sure if i want to wait for fdac, maybe i just pay the rest of the cost for the mdac2 minus the 300£ i paid earlier.

I remember you posting about you developing a dac ealier and abandoning it when the ess was released, maybe that could be an interesting project to reboot later.

btw: i assume the ess version also will support 1536 KS/s at 16bit/sample, support for 3072KS/s at 8bit/sample would also be awesome, i will se if i can find a suitable tweeter capable for frequencies up to 1mhz but i doubt it exists.

update: I just decided to go with the ess board now but i am still undecided when it comes to the fdac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back