advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes its Jareks and my design - the original basis of the design is our FDAC / MDAC2 XMOS "software" development board.

Sadly the first production batch (and being reviewed) was manufactured without our approved components (Note the Pink / Silver organic capacitors) - and a few other changes.

I brought this to Heinz attention and he's insured me that changes will be made and correct parts used in the future production. As a designer, no one likes to see unapproved design changes - I was VERY surprised at the "political" issues we faced working with a Czech / Slovak production company's - it does make me appreciate working in China more and its kind of sad to say that!

Using my contacts I ordered the correct capacitors - so it appear Heinz a man of his word :) and I very much appreciate that :)

Its a good little DAC, Dual ESS9038Q2M, Multi regulated PSU, Polypropylene capacitors and precision MELF resistors etc... but you have to consider its small size and theres only so much that can be squeezed into such as design and yet still keeping it simple for production in Europe.

You want a small no nonsense DAC for your Office / Bedroom etc its perfect.

Supports MQA and is Roon certified...

The DAC really appreciates a good clean PSU - and works very well with the Detox.

Its also works well with DSD :) DSD performance has been much improved with the new Hyperstream II DAC's from ESS - I'm glad that we are able to use the latest Hyperstream II devices in MDAC2 / FDAC.
I think the little DAC will be a hit as soon as people a the Roon/CA forums notices it. Mainly because it is an affordable way of getting hardware MQA support and DSD512.
Many want to try MQA and also to upsampling to DSD256 or DSD512 now that Roon supports it out of the box (Even though it might not make a SQ difference. But sometimes you do thing just because you can).

At the very attractive €349 I do not see any competition.
Well done!

I'll put the streamer on the Lakewest Website later today - as I'll be ordering the PnP machine as soon as its possible.

John, the Streamer rendering looks FAB. ... I'll look out for your announcement directing all those wanting one to your website....later today, even!...:D:cool::)

YES 100% - thats the reason for the "DEVDAC and streamer" to give us a jump start on the software development for MDAC2.

Its been crazy busy, Jarek and I just pulled a 36 hour working "day" to complete the streamer PCB - I'll collect the bare boards on Friday so that I can at least show the built boards at Munich - not sure if we will have much time to test them...

So here is the first completed MDAC2 PCB :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiv2dx48892wqpn/MDAC2 Streamer A01.jpg?dl=0

The rendering is shown with the 4 RF screened tin sections openframe (No tin cover), in reality they will be covered / sealed for RF screening.

The Audio Sub system, LAN / USB HUB, PSU's and Clock circuits are each "isolated" in there own screened Tin sections.

The vertically mounted CR2032 Coin Cell is to power the RTC (Real Time Clock) when the MDAC2 is powered off.

This PCB is design to be mounted upside down in the MDAC2, so the HDMI video connector is on the far right hand side in the MDAC2 when looking at the MDAC2 rear panel.

Rear panel connectors:-

BNC Video Output

3x USB Host ports (for USB Flash Drives, Keyboard, mouse, External powered HDD, WiFi / bluetooth dongle (at your own risk to system sound quality) etc.)

Ethernet port

HDMI Video Output

Other "system" connectors on the PCB are for the DAC /ADC/ External Clocks, and various Touch panel LCD displays, front panel support for future products and the (Later) planned MDAC2 Front panel upgrade etc.

The RPI CM3 module is seated in the large DIMM200 connector above the "LakeWest" logo.

Nice job John
I have come round to the idea of a streamer but would only want it on the FDAC like some others so would be happy to pay a development cost .I run Kodi via a firestick plugged into my Oppo 103 so it's just a pain to have this interim solution and send it back to you.

The MDAC2 streamer PCB is physically formatted to fit within the MDAC2 chassis - its not ideal (RF screening etc). The MDAC2 and FDAC also feature a different connector arrangement etc.

This sets alarm bells ringing for me. Should it?

Steve - everything sets alarm bells ringing for you - but its a world full of compromises! :)

RF screening was ALWAYS going to be compromised with the MDAC2 - that's one of the advantages of the larger chassis FDAC. I've mentioned this over and over again.

To help mitigate the issue we use local screening where possible on the MDAC2 PCB'S, and will all respect 99% of designs have NO internal screening.

With the MDAC2, we are folding in a huge amount into a small chassis, the streamer PCB alone has 4 independently screened sections to help control the internal RF environment.

BNC Video Output

Doesn't it seem a bit too legacy?

So how does this work anyway. Do I order a Streamer PCB for each MDAC2? Is this a one time payment, meaning no additional payments for parts and such?

Doesn't it seem a bit too legacy?

Well the idea is to be able drive cheap small LCD panels - and these smaller panels are often Video input only. HDMI panels are larger and more expensive.

[/QUOTE]So how does this work anyway. Do I order a Streamer PCB for each MDAC2? Is this a one time payment, meaning no additional payments for parts and such?[/QUOTE]

Yes, a one time payment - only postage extra later if the PCB needs to be shipped ahead of the MDAC2.

The components will be order end next week once we have an idea of initial Qtys.

I hope to be able to order the PnP machine wake or so after Munich.

Nice job John
I have come round to the idea of a streamer but would only want it on the FDAC like some others so would be happy to pay a development cost [...] it's just a pain to have this interim solution and send it back to you.

+1!

RF screening was ALWAYS going to be compromised with the MDAC2 - that's one of the advantages of the larger chassis FDAC. I've mentioned this over and over again.

To help mitigate the issue we use local screening where possible on the MDAC2 PCB'S, and will all respect 99% of designs have NO internal screening.

With the MDAC2, we are folding in a huge amount into a small chassis, the streamer PCB alone has 4 independently screened sections to help control the internal RF environment.

If the faraday screening around "4 RF screened tin sections" covers the areas with the high speed logic circuits this should go a long way to reducing internally (within mDAC chassis) created RF noise. And as you say is a lot more screening than many other designs have. Years ago I worked in radar with receiver signals in microvolts and transmitter signals in KV only feet way - good faraday screening was always the key to reducing false returns.

Great job with the little DAC.

Steve - everything sets alarm bells ringing for you - but its a world full of compromises! :)

My point was that squeezing yet another boarding the tiny case is turning the whole project into something of a meal to be enjoyed by the lovely Lab Ratters.

I have, in the last few days, purchased a dedicated CD transport, the Cyrus CDt in readiness for the MDAC2. In comparison with the Rega Apollo, the sound quality improvement is significant, used with the MDAC L3 Toy.

Removing DAC circuitry from inside the transport casework certainly plays a part in the improvement in sound quality - a more 3D soundstage, more extension and control top and bottom, better dynamics and more headroom.

When the MDAC2 arrives I expect all of the above plus gains in resolution. I fear that MDAC sound quality as a priority is slipping in favour of feature set.

I do want a streamer but not one that will compromise the DAC performance as you actually seem to admit.

It is said that a camel was a horse designed by a committee.

Is this whole convoluted project beginning to look like a camel?

Please do not take the candid nature of this post as a sign of hostility to you for absolutely none is intended. My friend Archie and I look forward to seeing you in a week's time in Munich.

Steven,

What ever might be lost by any potential RF effects will be made up x1000 times by having the Data source locked to the Audio Master clock - something that's not possible with an external CD transport.

There will be internal screening, clock synchronisation and "Detoxing" so I'm not concerned in the least :)

Yes, FDAC will be better but thats the reason for FDAC's Development :) - but the biggest difference will be due to the FDAC's Tube stage then the "icing on the cake" brought by such extra's as screening and isolation. Such differences alone would be "disappointing"...

Steven,

What ever might be lost by any potential RF effects will be made up x1000 times by having the Data source locked to the Audio Master clock - something that's not possible with an external CD transport.

There will be internal screening, clock synchronisation and "Detoxing" so I'm not concerned in the least :)

Yes, FDAC will be better but thats the reason for FDAC's Development :) - but the biggest difference will be due to the FDAC's Tube stage then the "icing on the cake" brought by such extra's as screening and isolation. Such differences alone would be "disappointing"...

Fair enough.

Put me down for a streamer board. 😊

Cash in euros?

Fair enough.

Put me down for a streamer board. 😊

Cash in euros?

Steve,

I'd really prefer PayPal as it keeps everything clean - with transactions recorded.

If you dont have PayPal then Euros at the show but you will have to remind me if I forget later :)

Just received the invoice for the bare Streamer PCB on express turn around - Euro 720!!! OUCH...

I'll drive over to collect the boards so we can build them up over the weekend (about 200km round trip)....

It will take the best part of a weekend to handbuild a single board - so its best not to dwell on the fact that the PnP machine would place the components in under half an hour!!!

Just About to collect the streamer PCB's - we just created and uploaded a very crude MDAC2 Streamer page:-

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/mdac2_streamer.htm

Looking forward to seeing the boards :)
I note that you say the first 100 boards will be delivered within 2 weeks of the P & P machine which is on 6 weeks delivery from order.

So where does that place delivery of the detox and delivery of the Mdac2?

Are you still proposing to change the price of the detox and Mdac2 depending on whether people buy this board, or has that been dropped?

John,
Just ordered a streamer board will probably order more after Munich when I have figured out how many I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back