advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
if anybody would like to take up my stake in the detox project please contact me directly. Offering my 50GBP position for 30GBP.

Thank you!

Well, now I've got something to do on my days off :D

Michael,

The Clock circuit is a "basic" derivative of the MDAC2's clock circuit - basically to evaluate the sonic effect of the Phase noise optimization circuit, as I mentioned before its still developmental / buggy.

To power up the MDAC it needs to be set to minimum (notice the arrow on the blue trimmer points to the black marker spot):-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ew75bem7a9heao/Powerup and Min setting.JPG?dl=0

And during use I'd not turn it up much past the setting indicated below to prevent drop-outs on SPDIF or USB "lock up" events:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fqa4vlprulr17i/Suggested Max.JPG?dl=0

I worked again on the circuit before its was shipped to you (its why I missed the Tuesday shipping deadline) - you can see modifications to the PCB between the two photos - but basically the modifications will have changed the Max level before the USB "locks up" with a resultant "dirty continues tone"- so you will have to experiment to find the Max working level for yourself.

The Clock Phase noise optimisation circuit will interact with the Detox's decorrelation circuit so Max levels of both will depend on each others level...

Happy experimenting and listening!!! It could all go very Pear shaped for me if you cannot hear any positive effects...! in my short time listening, the Detox decorrelation level had a bigger effect then the level of the DAC"s clock optimisation circuit... but I was having to come to terms with the major sound quality difference of the Superior DAC in the first instance... it was not in well controlled tests.

I also had the habit of increasing the level to beyond "reliable" operation and every so often would experience a USB lock up event (you need to cycle the MDAC's USB input to restore operation)...

The Dac's phase noise optimisation was odd - first Renata would prefer Min then later Max... we really needed more time listening (we only had a couple of hours) - but I have to balance working on the MDAC2 PCB design for any hopes of meeting Munich...

Some time ago I was offered an opportunity to buy someone's stake in an FDAC. I'm in the market for a DAC and I'm in no desperate hurry.

My response to the seller at the time was that I'd watch how things progress and make my decision then.

Sadly, nothing I've seen recently suggests an FDAC will be a reality any time this millennium.

For that reason. I'm out.

I had a buyer tell me the same thing. Tried to sell off my "stake" several months ago without much interest. It's both a mixture of frustration and dropping the hifi hobby entirely.

CrazyindianZA,

Once the MDAC2 is available for sale we will try to accommodate those who wish to pass there position on - we will try our best NOT to sell new production slots until either units have been shipped to there owners or the position passed to a new member.

The propriety to be in this position is to have MDAC2 ready for sale.

.....- but I have to balance working on the MDAC2 PCB design for any hopes of meeting Munich...

JohnW,

Just bought my tickets for Munich. Will be booking the Hotel rooms next. Would be good if we could be in the same Hotel and share your Mafia mobile to the show.

Let me know...

Keep up the hard work and the hell with the naysayers :)

Does that mean that you are also out of this thread or is that just wish full thinking?

No way. This is the best entertainment I've encountered in ages. As I've said before, I'd willingly pay an entrance fee.

Does my presence on this thread cause you a problem?

CrazyindianZA,

Once the MDAC2 is available for sale we will try to accommodate those who wish to pass there position on - we will try our best NOT to sell new production slots until either units have been shipped to there owners or the position passed to a new member.

Also don't forget to start a list of those who might need to buy an MDAC donor, since some of us have ditched ours assuming FDAC was coming instead... One in US voltage for me.

Your usual condescending and rude method of posting.
An unsurprising comment.

Let's keep personal animosity out of here​. I have no personal animosity towards you.

My alternative reply would probably have been very condescending

No way. This is the best entertainment I've encountered in ages. As I've said before, I'd willingly pay an entrance fee.
Walk the talk and get a £50 Detox development it is going to a good cause and you can always write of the cost if you don't want the actual product.

Does my presence on this thread cause you a problem?
Not at all I can live with a bit of noise.

CrazyindianZA,

John,

Thank you for the kind gesture. It was not expected but appreciated. As I get older, I find that I want to spend more time on active hobbies so have largely sold off my standalone components. I have made the mistake of buying a pair of Devialet Silver phantoms but am also selling these off.

Hey john, just thought id drop a friendly message. I have not been following as much the last month due to absolute crazy busy life. Can only imagine how you are getting on but i feel ya pain.
Take it easy bud, im excited and eagerly patient for your upcoming products.
;)

Walk the talk and get a £50 Detox development it is going to a good cause and you can always write of the cost if you don't want the actual product.

Not at all I can live with a bit of noise.

Yeah, I agree about the noise. Please keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back