advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top shelf from left to right:
HDPLEX 100W Linear Power Supply (19V for HTPC, 9V for SOtM USB Card)
HTPC (Intel i5-4690T with passive cooling, SOtM tX-USBexp)

Interesting...
How do you fit the PCI USB Card into the Streacom FC5 OD?
The chassis offer just a horizontal Expansion Slot.

Are there any audible differences between the on-board USB port and the SOtM card?

Interesting...
How do you fit the PCI USB Card into the Streacom FC5 OD?
The chassis offer just a horizontal Expansion Slot.

Are there any audible differences between the on-board USB port and the SOtM card?

The Streacom FC5 allows a full height card with a riser card (easy to get hold of). I use a Streacom Evo 8 which allows a half-height card and as the SoTM offers a full height and half-height face plate, it fits fine again, with a riser card. PS the SoTM is an excellent card and even better when powered externally by a battery or the HDPlex PSU but I have found the JCAT USB Card FEMTO card sounds better;

http://jplay.eu/jcat/

It offered better bass definition and overall clarity than the SoTM to my ears anyway..

Oh and yes, much better than onboard usb!

Any news on the listening tests?! :)

You and me both!!!! all I can "hear" is that Opamp in my mind :(

Also, Michael has a Low noise PC so I wonder what effect the Detox will have in his system, that will be interesting...

I feel like a kid waiting for the school test results - not feeling as confident as I should be because of the Opamp...

You and me both!!!! all I can "hear" is that Opamp in my mind :(

Also, Michael has a Low noise PC so I wonder what effect the Detox will have in his system, that will be interesting...

I feel like a kid waiting for the school test results - not feeling as confident as I should be because of the Opamp...

lol you've just heard it from da man himself ...gadzooks dear fellow!!!

James Coltart - posted as Sovereign .

Very sad indeed.

Yes, very sad indeed may he RIP and my condolences to his family and friends.

Not to be confused with the Superior update, I believe James had one of the early MDAC upgrades before Toy / Fusion...

Relax everyone, I'm just having a great time with my new Superior Fusion MDAC :D

I definitely think that the Superior Fusion MDAC is better than my Fusion MDAC, but it's not so easy to quantitate the improvement because I can't do direct A/B comparisions at the moment.

Most noticeable at this point is the improved sound stage reproduction including a remarkable seperation of instruments.

Right now I'm working on the equipment for A/B comparisions. I have to get a suitable preamp (or finish the diy one, @misterdog: Paul, I can already hear you laughing :p). Source-wise I could use the Mutec as USB-to-S/PDIF converter as it brings multiple outputs. To compare the USB inputs, two RPi 3 would be nice. Let's see what I can do...

John,

Is it still possible to make minor changes to the Detox chassis? I had trouble fitting one of my cables because the cut-out around the USB Type B connector was too narrow.

Sounds promising.

Any comments to make about the Detox? (I realise the more variables you introduce, the harder it is to determine which is doing what, plus you have an apparently very quiet source to begin with. But we're starving for news out here!)

John,

Is it still possible to make minor changes to the Detox chassis? I had trouble fitting one of my cables because the cut-out around the USB Type B connector was too narrow.

How much larger do you need? (By "B" you mean the Square lead cutout from the PC)?

it's not so easy to quantitate the improvement because I can't do direct A/B comparisions at the moment.

I'm completely with you on this one, I had the same problem here - there are so many variables:-

MDAC with Superior

PSU

Detox

Detox Clock Locked

Detox with decorrelater

MDAC Clock phase noise optimisation (Then in combination with Detox decorrelater)....

The combinations go on...

How much larger do you need? (By "B" you mean the Square lead cutout from the PC)?

Yes, the square one. The cut-out seems to be 14mm wide and 12mm high. The plug is 16x11mm. Would it be possible to increase the cut-out to 18x14mm or at least 17x12mm?

While we're at it, I quickly checked the other connectors:

The Type A (flat one) is ok. To be safe I'd recommend to add 1mm on each side to a total of 22mm (height is fine).

The TOSLINK connector needs to be centered around the two notches, not the connector itself. And the radius of the cut-out should be increased by 1mm.

Power connector seems fine. I tried a thicker third party cable. Although another mm wouldn't hurt ;)

Michael,

Well your USB "B" Cable does not conform to the USB cable Spec - but thats typical in the HiFi industry (I'm not sure if we should worry about non conforming cables), but I'll see if we have room to increase - and as I've stated before the optical and USB A's have been already modified (the "A" cutout is slightly too low) - you have the very first prototype chassis - the rear panel connector alignment has been reworked on the latest units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom