advertisement

Mains conditioning

Plug in conditioners work nicely, surprising how much.
I have Russ Andrews, Tacima
Great place to start and can be nicely cheap.
Same here, Tacima for the TV section, Russ for the hifi, tried a few & agree with some here, many of the options (some, stupidly expensive) take from the sound, not this little box. You could spend a whole lot more & receive a lot less IMO.
Tacima cost me £15, Russ cost me a tenner.

Offer to those who would like to hear either a
Regenerator, PS Audio P300 which I must get around to selling.
Audio Magic filter box
Various mains filters and cleaners that all make a difference - Tacima, Russ Andrews, PS Audio
Can switch them in and out and even swap over mains cables

PM me for a visit to North West Surrey

Might just well take you up on that.......got a balanced thingy majig there?:D

No balanced mains.
Will go for a dedicated spur sooner or later.
This needs some work on the boss as it may well be very visible
Need to have my sparky in to see what he thinks

No balanced mains.
Will go for a dedicated spur sooner or later.
This needs some work on the boss as it may well be very visible
Need to have my sparky in to see what he thinks

Think you mean a radial, Mike, as a spur can only come off an existing circuit. Worth while working out exactly what you want/need etc. before discussing with a sparks; unlikely he'll have a clue about hifi needs, though he'll know the reg's you'll have to conform to.

If only one radial (and you can figure out a simple route to your incoming mains), make it a 10mm2. Depending on your kit and number of pieces, though, it may be more cost-effective to have multiples. Not sure why it would be an eyesore, though, any more than existing sockets on the ring.

Unless you end up doing something fancy (no idea what) even a dedicated radial will end up sharing a common live and, albeit it on one RCD or the other on a split load CU, pretty much a shared neutral. I have things on separate circuits here (central heating pump, wife's hair straighteners) and they both effect some of the hifi kit when they fire up. I'm on a 32A ring but other than the sockets in the lounge there's nothing else on it so very nearly dedicated so I just don't see how putting another circuit in would help that much.
I'm not an electrician though...

Dunno what you call 'fancy', Scotty, but a properly installed radial circuit is only joined to the live and neutral mains via tails to the meter via a junction box. The radial(s) is/are separate, the c.u. is separate and the RCBO (combo of RCD and MCB) is dedicated to that one radial.

That means that your amp. or whatever is supplied purely from the meter, in effect, and doesn't go thorough any other circuit or installation. Obviously, it's the same incoming mains, but it's about as dedicated as you can get barring having a separate phase. Any compromise on this (like using an existing c.u.) is still better than plugging into a domestic ring feeding sundry appliances.

I have 8 pieces of kit, each fed entirely separately with its own safety devices. I've not heard any extraneous noise through any of my past or present kit in well over a decade. It's actually a relatively cheap/cost effective upgrade for Naim and, I suspect, other s/s with toroidal trannies. It's also convenient. However, you do need a route from kit to incoming, and that can prove a hassle at best.

Yes that's as good as it gets Mike and I suppose what I was calling fancy. A "dedicated" feed from an existing CU is what I feel is the usual thing that's done although I may be wrong and everyone does it like you have.
My experience with using the existing CU is that it isn't much, if any, better as it's pretty much what I have. If my wife plugs in her hair straighteners in a bedroom (separate circuit and other side of the CU) my toroids tell me all about it. Same when the heating kicks in.

Some live in beautiful places but their volts+amps make horrid noises. Others live in less desirable places but with almost beautiful mains, so free from things to concern.

The shame is they speak of only what they hear rather than mention their world too.

Spoken from the WasWam.

My experience with using the existing CU is that it isn't much, if any, better as it's pretty much what I have. If my wife plugs in her hair straighteners in a bedroom (separate circuit and other side of the CU) my toroids tell me all about it. Same when the heating kicks in.

No experience of that for two plus decades, as have always had separate C.U.s., but I also came to the opinion that toroidals are very susceptible to interference, and my previous Naim stuff definitely benefitted. Same for my friends with similar kit and mains distribution. Now I've got virtually all valved kit, I'm not sure this applies to the big, non toroidal trannies. Regardless, I'm not reverting to the domestic ring !:)

Last edited:
Not just picture quality of today's TV has improved. It's now unaffected by hair dryers. Have the TV and hair dryer on the same ring. Switched both on, no more picture noise.

Think you mean a radial, Mike, as a spur can only come off an existing circuit. Worth while working out exactly what you want/need etc. before discussing with a sparks; unlikely he'll have a clue about hifi needs, though he'll know the reg's you'll have to conform to.

If only one radial (and you can figure out a simple route to your incoming mains), make it a 10mm2. Depending on your kit and number of pieces, though, it may be more cost-effective to have multiples. Not sure why it would be an eyesore, though, any more than existing sockets on the ring.

Duh. Yes radial.
Know what I want. I've been primed. Separate CU coming off the existing. 64 amp breaker, 6mm t&e.
The eyesore aspect is the cable may have to be surface run from hall through one or two rooms to socket

Unless you end up doing something fancy (no idea what) even a dedicated radial will end up sharing a common live and, albeit it on one RCD or the other on a split load CU, pretty much a shared neutral. I have things on separate circuits here (central heating pump, wife's hair straighteners) and they both effect some of the hifi kit when they fire up. I'm on a 32A ring but other than the sockets in the lounge there's nothing else on it so very nearly dedicated so I just don't see how putting another circuit in would help that much.
I'm not an electrician though...

Currently (!) no interference from anywhere. Bob my sparky will have ideas I fairly sure

advertisement

Back