advertisement

Mains conditioning

artist

pfm Member
Now that I have finished my new audio room I have been thinking of adding eithe a balanced power unit or a mains regenerator. Does anyone here have any experience with this
Views are all welcome

Do you suffer from a terribly poor supply, you can buy an inexpensive meter which will monitor and record the peak and minimum voltages.
Keith

New audio room? Did you not think of installing dedicated supplies? You can add regenerators afterwards if needed, but that's the low-cost first step.

On the few occasions I've heard mains conditioners, they have taken something away from the sound, so I avoid them. There are plenty of retailers who will allow you to try before you buy, so if you're curious, there's nothing to lose by experimenting. Sometimes I find it's only when you remove something from your system that you realise how good or bad it was.

I used one for years, but always plugged the amplifier into the mains. As I now have Devialet, it's in the loft. A PS Audio P3, if you are interested.

4kva balanced transformer used here for all the non power amp bits. I find it worthwhile. Big power amps are straight into the wall.

From my experience mains regenerators (PS Audio, Purepower) do a lot more than mains conditioners but its difficult and expensive to find one that will output enough to power an integrated amp and source let alone bigger power amps. Have heard a balanced power transformer in a friends system and it didn't seem to do any harm other than a mechanical hum from the unit itself. Unless you have a specific problem I would probably just go straight into the wall.

Plug in conditioners work nicely, surprising how much.
I have Russ Andrews, Tacima
Great place to start and can be nicely cheap.

That got me thinking about the P10 which I recently replaced with a modified Audio Magic conditioner
Couple of months on I'm still discovering wonders in albums.

Over the years I've heard a whole bunch (or listened to systems with them in) of conditioners, smoothers, regenerator etc; I've even done some A/B, with and without, comparative dems. So far I have yet to be convinced by any of the solutions I've heard - even the giant, top of the range, PS Audio regenerator. All of them seem to stifle, or subdue, an element of dynamic contrast - some slightly, some massively. Others may hear this as added smoothness and sophistication (but I don't).

The only conditioner that has worked for me (not restrained dynamics) is a cheap Russ Andrews silencer,i have tried many, some at very silly prices just to see if it's worth the outlay, this includes mains regenerators (worst of the bunch IMO) it's not, buy one of these cheapo designs & forget about it.

Improved dynamics & focus in my set up rather than diluting the sound to a dull, flat borefest.

Cost me a tenner, was well worth the outlay.

If you are talking about the one RA does that looks like a 13A plug then I had one of them. I didn't think it damaged the sound but then I didn't find it did anything at all.

I got a Power Inspired AG500 last week. It's a 500W mains regenerator and UPS.
I have my Sky box, blueray, Dac, EQ and Smart Tv plugged into it and it's only running at 44% of its load capacity.
They do an AG1500 which would suit amps.

The AG500 has improved the picture quality and sound quality of my system. A bargain in my book.

I got a Power Inspired AG500 last week. It's a 500W mains regenerator and UPS.
I have my Sky box, blueray, Dac, EQ and Smart Tv plugged into it and it's only running at 44% of its load capacity.
They do an AG1500 which would suit amps.

The AG500 has improved the picture quality and sound quality of my system. A bargain in my book.

Interesting since a visual change is often more noticeable than a change in sound. Do you have a poor supply or lots of motors running on the mains, fridge, air comditioner etc. I found regenerators (PS Powerplant 600) to clean up the signal really well when I lived in the states but did next to nothing when I returned home.

advertisement

Back