advertisement

Mains conditioning

Duh. Yes radial.
Know what I want. I've been primed. Separate CU coming off the existing. 64 amp breaker, 6mm t&e.
The eyesore aspect is the cable may have to be surface run from hall through one or two rooms to socket

Tricky route with 6mm2; guess you'll need to trunk it in some way. My 10mm2 runs each have only 32 amp RCBOs (breakers with RCD), and that's usually the max., so worth checking the pros and cons of that much higher rating.

He will think you’re mad.

Our regular electrician thought I was bonkers when I asked him to install a radial to the hifi and some silver plated switchless sockets. He was right of course, it didn't make any difference, well not to my kit at least. When he finished, he tried to sell me a fairy light system for the garden. The irony wasn't lost on me.

jolly good though when a bulb failure knocks off the power to your house as it trips , the hifi is not affected as on separate circuit .

Our regular electrician thought I was bonkers when I asked him to install a radial to the hifi and some silver plated switchless sockets. He was right of course, it didn't make any difference, well not to my kit at least. When he finished, he tried to sell me a fairy light system for the garden. The irony wasn't lost on me.

Once upon a time I had what was known as the full "RKR", done by the man himself; huge main fuse, separate CU, separate spurs, over-rated fuses, etc, etc. The downside is it didn't really sound any different, the upside was the place didn't burn down.

Reactions: DNM
jolly good though when a bulb failure knocks off the power to your house as it trips , the hifi is not affected as on separate circuit .

Surely under these circumstances just the MCB for the relevant lighting circuit would trip leaving other circuits intact. Obviously I'm assuming the hifi sockets aren't on the lighting circuit....

Well, all I can really say is that's what happens at my house with a bog standard split load CU.

jolly good though when a bulb failure knocks off the power to your house as it trips , the hifi is not affected as on separate circuit

It would save me turning the hifi off when I received my instructions to change the lightbulb. :)

Our regular electrician thought I was bonkers when I asked him to install a radial to the hifi and some silver plated switchless sockets. He was right of course, it didn't make any difference, well not to my kit at least.

Yes, putting in a radial to an existing domestic c.u. is a compromise. If it was at least 6mm2 t & e, I'm surprised you didn't get better dynamics, esp. with new sockets. Maybe you should have had just one socket, dedicated to amplification (or multiple circuits)?

Once upon a time I had what was known as the full "RKR", done by the man himself; huge main fuse, separate CU, separate spurs, over-rated fuses, etc, etc. The downside is it didn't really sound any different, the upside was the place didn't burn down.

Alex, as someone who knows Roy and has benefitted from his advice/help, I'm surprised (a) that it didn't make any difference, and (b) that you don't continue to use it. The 'huge' main fuse would be 100 amp's, which is pretty normal nowadays. No spurs; they were radials. Having an RKR-inspired installation, along with a number of friends with Naim/s/s kit, the only caveat I would make is that valved equipment may not benefit, or at least as much, as those with toroidals.

Even though I'm now virtually all valved, I can't see me getting rid of a superior and more convenient (and safer?) installation.

Surely under these circumstances just the MCB for the relevant lighting circuit would trip leaving other circuits intact. Obviously I'm assuming the hifi sockets aren't on the lighting circuit....

Well, all I can really say is that's what happens at my house with a bog standard split load CU.

of course , how silly of me . yes just the lighting circuit but then perhaps a faulty iron may trip the mains sockets or something else

Mike, by badly timed coincidence I ditched the Naim system at about the same time. That room was a large concrete cube and a sonic nightmare, so acoustic treatment was far more beneficial. As was getting rid of Naim in that context. Densen, big tubes and Dynavector all worked better but then I discovered efficient speakers and didn’t really need big amps any more. I can’t mess with my mains at present so I’m happy with the James Audio conditioner I now use.

advertisement

Back