advertisement

Liam Gallagher's brother...

I interviewed Noel Gallagher for Loaded, just prior to the release of Supersonic.

Definitely Maybe was fine. Half of the second album is okay, although Wonderwall was a lame idea.

Nicking the Wonderwall song title from George Harrison and director Joe Massot was definitely dumb.

After watching them play at Knebworth, I completely lost interest in Oasis.

Their career has been 8 years longer than The Beatles.

It's about time they ****ed off.

Jack

Well I seen them on the last tour back in July and before I went I said that it would probably be the last time I seen them for old times sake etc etc as I'd seen them loads early on and then stopped after that Heathen Chemistry album as it was a bit shit TBH. Got to say though that they were ****ing class and ripped the shithole out of any of the poxy 'festival' shite I've been putting myself through recently. So for me personally, as a live band they finished off at a good time.

As for the tired argument of unoriginal/sound the same/sound like the beatles/****ing blah..blah... they've NEVER said they were into musical progression and have always just said they were a rock n roll band. Why did people ever think they were going to be anything else but one?

I'm sorry that I missed out on the sixties, punk and Spike Island, but Oasis were a massive thing for anyone who was young enough and pissed off enough with the rave crap that was hoofing around when they broke. I think people either forget or don't fully appreciate what a kick up the musical arse it was 15 years ago when Supersonic came out. Get 'Slide Away' on if you've forgotten.

Quite interesting news. I think Liam will (eventually) be cannonised as one of the great frontmen, but I have to admit to prefering Noel's vocal/accoustic/unplugged work without his brother.

But let's be honest, they're getting older, and Liam's "style" was a dead-end, preventing the band from developing, or even just growing old gracefully.

I'm excited to see how Noel moves forward now, and I'm honestly expecting big things from him on his own.

(I always get a vague feeling of "class divide" kicking in when Oasis are criticised, rather than an intelligent discussion of the music they made. On a personal level, they could, at times, be pretty hatefull, but when they were good, they were superb).

Seeing them from the perspective of a fairly disinterested 60 year old:

I quite liked a few of their tunes, but took minimal interest in the lyrics.
Again, I quite liked the stage image, tho' having a geetar so tight under the chin reminded me of Tim Rose back in the day.

What I absolutely did not like was the swagger, the arrogance (even if it was just a gimmick) and the attitude which said '**** everybody, including our fans'.

How to win friends and influence people?

advertisement

Back