advertisement

Knocking Naim!

I'd summarise my view as

"Like the product hate the company"

Max,

You've never heard any Naim kit, but are convinced that the various power supplies don't make a difference?

Doesn't that seem like an odd position for a foo fighter? If you had good technical reasons for thinking so, or had done several dems and never heard a difference I could understand, but to just say it must be so is rather dogmatic.

Joe

The local Naim dealer once loaned me a Naim CD player, plus one of the outboard power supplies, which, he assured me, would lift it to a whole new level of performance. So I tried it. Did I notice a difference? Yes, I did - there were twice as many glowing Naim logos than had previously been the case - nothing else that I could hear.

Nice equipment - but to my ears, no better (but certainly no worse) than anyone else's.

Adding a flatcap to my first cd3.5 lifted it to another level.

The prefix is a fantastic phono stage when used with a hicap

Who said religious fanaticism...

In the Naim of the pre amps and of the power amps and of the LP12.
Amin..
see what I did with Naim and amin..hmmm..suit yourself...

My one-and-only blind test - how and whether or not a Flatcap2 was connected to a CD5 and/or a Nait 5.

The local Naim dealer once loaned me a Naim CD player, plus one of the outboard power supplies, which, he assured me, would lift it to a whole new level of performance. So I tried it. Did I notice a difference? Yes, I did - there were twice as many glowing Naim logos than had previously been the case - nothing else that I could hear.

Nice equipment - but to my ears, no better (but certainly no worse) than anyone else's.

And that's the beauty of hifi - it is totally subjective and what works for one person doesn't for another. What would now irritate me is if a pro-Naim advocate were to tell you that obviously your ears are shot and you must be deaf etc etc...

Naim are an excellent sales and marketing company that play on people's paranoia and insecurity that they could always have something better, or what they have can be improved. It's a great business model. The 32.5/110 CB combination was really good.

tones,

I have no ax to grind here, as I have but one very old Naim component, but I'm genuinely surprised that you didn't hear a difference when the outboard supply was added to the CD player.

If you had thought the difference (or improvement) was slight or poor value for money, I'd not be surprised. But no difference at all?

Well, lemme just say I have raised an eyebrow, all Spock-like.

24evvxv.gif

Joe

The mitigating factor of the Naim upgrade path is the fact that you can sell it on for a decent price. I still have a second system, Olive 62/180/ES14s that I bought new in 1991(and tbh I sometimes wonder if its all I ever needed anyway!) and I could probably sell it now for not much less than I paid for it.

The NAP180 is also, imho, generally underrated- the onboard power supply is good enough in its own right and though I have tried both Hicap and TP never could hear very much difference if any.

Andrew

Purely out of curiosity, and not wanting to open a box of worms, but what was your opinion?

Naim advised 1) to connect output A to the preamp section of the Nait and output B to the CD5.

I tried this along with two other permutations:

2) FC2 output A to CD5, output B not connected.

3) FC2 output A to CD5, output B to Nait.

My preference was for 2) above. I identified all three permutations correctly every time over about 8 swaps.

I am waiting to be told that it wasn't double-blind and/or I am lying.

The mitigating factor of the Naim upgrade path is the fact that you can sell it on for a decent price. I still have a second system, Olive 62/180/ES14s that I bought new in 1991(and tbh I sometimes wonder if its all I ever needed anyway!) and I could probably sell it now for not much less than I paid for it.

The NAP180 is also, imho, generally underrated- the onboard power supply is good enough in its own right and though I have tried both Hicap and TP never could hear very much difference if any.

Andrew

That's a new one on me . Our prices are unjustifiably high but don't worry you can sell it on for an unjustifiably high price when the time comes , largely because of the marketing mythology we have created . :D

Jobs a good un .

One thing that stopped me even looking at Naim for years was all the 'boom and fizz' type comments. Then I had a demo and realised what a load of old rubbish that is, certainly in relation to the current range.

Naim advised 1) to connect output A to the preamp section of the Nait and output B to the CD5.

I tried this along with two other permutations:

2) FC2 output A to CD5, output B not connected.

3) FC2 output A to CD5, output B to Nait.

My preference was for 2) above. I identified all three permutations correctly every time over about 8 swaps.

I am waiting to be told that it wasn't double-blind and/or I am lying.

You're lying, your pants are on fire, your nose has elongated, and just admit it you had a mirror behind the units so you could see what was going on anyway...

:D

Andrew

You are quite right there, the 180 is very underrated and has the same traffo as the HiCap, providing good juice to the pre.

I prefer the 160/180/200 to the 250s bar the first one, the bolt up valve like sweetie pie!

One thing that stopped me even looking at Naim for years was all the 'boom and fizz' type comments. Then I had a demo and realised what a load of old rubbish that is, certainly in relation to the current range.

I think it is fair to say that the current range is a little more refined than the earlier CB/Olive series? At least that's my own personal take on it (I use a mix of old and new)

That's a new one on me . Our prices are unjustifiably high but don't worry you can sell it on for an unjustifiably high price when the time comes , largely because of the marketing mythology we have created . :D

Jobs a good un .

I don't think Naim prices are unjustifiable - it's worth what folks are prepared to pay for it, there is no secret about what's inside the boxes. BTW my main system isn't Naim, so I haven't fallen for the mythology entirely:)

I don't think Naim prices are unjustifiable - it's worth what folks are prepared to pay for it, there is no secret about what's inside the boxes. BTW my main system isn't Naim, so I haven't fallen for the mythology entirely:)

I would wholeheartedly agree with you if there was transparency of information .

If each box had an accurate breakdown of what it cost to make and were retail price went I would have no problem with their pricing .

Something tells me though that they would sell very few if they did .

I think it is fair to say that the current range is a little more friend than the earlier CB/Olive series? At least that's my own personal take on it (I use a mix of old and new)

I think the difference is often a bit exaggerated - the more modern ranges may a little more laid back, but I don't find the Olive gear I know to be especially boom tizz - and my tastes are mainly classical, including choral, opera and chamber music.

Andrew

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom