advertisement

Kit that, irrationally, you’ve always just wanted…

Depends how you're defining irrational. In my head it's always rational ;)

Tannoys and Tron I would love to hear/try, or things of that ilk anyway.

The original Wilson WAMM. The one with double KEF B139's, double Braun mini monitors and electrostat panels for the top end. Plus big Magnat subs. I'm pretty sure they sound shite. But, anyway...

Naim amp, (I have one & now I don't know why I wanted it so bad)
Big Musical Fidelity amp, (currently a M8 xi integrated)
Garrard 401 (It looks nice!)
B&O parallel tracker (Its really fancy, like me :0)
Celestion 66 (No idea, I just do, because they were a top of the range 'once upon a time' maybe?)
B&W DM 2 (mates dad had them I thought they were great)
Shure V15 iii (Once posh to have one, I don't expect it much good by todays standards)
Akai 10" Reel to Reel (No idea what I would use it for but I could just watch it I guess)

A pioneer RT-707 - Love it’s looks, actually prefer it to the 909.

Quad ELS (and a room to do them justice!!).

Chord Dave and M-scaler.

A TARDIS, and going back a bit to get brand new Quad IIs, Garrards, Leaks etc

A Rega Naia, will probably have to settle for a 6. Have far more CDs than LPs so a stupidly expensive CD transport as well, Jays Audio or Atoll DR400 perhaps.

Pretty much everything else I fancy is either physically impossible, e.g. Altec VOTT (my room is far too small, and I don’t like large rooms!), or crazy expensive to find the truly mint examples I’d insist on (EMT 930, Leak 12.1 etc). Lots of other stuff looks real cool but I don’t think I need, e.g. Transciptors Ref, Micro Seiki DQD1000, Gale turntable, Dynavector DV505, Pioneer Spec rack system, full Nakamichi rack system, any number of studio master open reels, humongous blue-face JBLs, Klipschorns etc etc, but I don’t need any of them.

I'm not familiar with the Micro Seiki DQD1000, but I can confirm that the DQX1000 (with a SEAC WE308 arm) works well with vintage correct big blue-face JBLs (4343 in my case), even in a fairly small room (10ft x 12ft or thereabouts)... Not bragging of course

Always quite fancied an SME TT even though I’ve never heard one. Really happy with my ATC active 40s but still want the 50s even though they are twice as expensive (almost).

Like the idea of a Benchmark Dac & also a Linn DSM. I often hanker for things but never get round to ever owning them.

Something from the peak of American muscle and “cost no object” thinking:

1 Ohm Apogee Scintillas
Krell KSA-250 amp
Audio Research SP-10 preamp

For a barmy 1KW into 1 Ohm.

I've got an eye for a great big Macintosh pre-amp with more buttons, knobs and switches than the flight deck on a 747 and more bling than an American rapper. It would probably sound constrained and shut in with all that internal wiring but how cool would it look

images

A room with the floor, ceiling, and walls all made of trampolines. With an amazing system behind them all.

Lottery ambitions...

I think I’ve either owned or do still own most of the stuff I’ve ever “fancied”!

That said, there are still a few:

- Yamaha GF-1 speakers
- a Garrard RC-100 turntable
- a Gale GT-2101 turntable

A 4 box Cambridge Audio CD1. Spotted one for sale in Cash Converters Portsmouth about 20 years ago but didn't have the ££s at the time as I was unemployed.

If I ever manage to get my arse along to one of your bake-offs, I’ll make sure to bring mine!

I've got an eye for a great big Macintosh pre-amp with more buttons, knobs and switches than the flight deck on a 747 and more bling than an American rapper. It would probably sound constrained and shut in with all that internal wiring but how cool would it look

images

yeah, but *green* backlights.

Something from the peak of American muscle and “cost no object” thinking:

1 Ohm Apogee Scintillas
Krell KSA-250 amp
Audio Research SP-10 preamp

For a barmy 1KW into 1 Ohm.

images

Incidentally, in the early 1970's Mac did power amps that could muster 1 ohm via transformer loading. Or possibly even 0.5 ohms, I'm not sure.

advertisement

Back