advertisement

Kit that, irrationally, you’ve always just wanted…

The amazing thing about Ram's design here, is that it could have been done yesterday: it feels so current. Remember, 1959...

It's remarkable when compared to the ESL57 which looks super chintzy and dated to my eyes

quad-esl-57-6368.jpg

I have been obsessively seeking out a pair of Arcam P1 mono block power amplifiers for many years now. I finally have them. Still yet to decide whether I keep them.

I tried a Sugden A21a and a Townshend Allegri+ over the years, which I'd always wanted to. Neither stayed in the system for very long.

I agree with the other posters that most of the kit I have obsessed over turned out to be a bit underwhelming. Kit I took a punt on and had low expectations of was the opposite. The Chord Mojo I took a punt on expecting it would be "handy" for headphone listening, but it turned out to be an exceptional DAC. The prices it goes for on eBay now are mad.

Last edited:
Everything tandberg ever made.

You might want to knock the TPA-3006A power amplifier off your list.

A friend of mine is currently trying to fix one for a mutual friend of ours. He’s been battling chronic DC instability that drifts with temperature, poor PCB layout and a specification for output DC offset of +/- 35mV which, frankly, smacks of guesswork on the designer’s part more than anything else.

My friend is a polite soul but even he’s uttering words I’ve never heard him use before about this.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom