advertisement

Killing field day this Saturday

I can honestly say, I haven’t killed a single field this year. In fact, can’t remember the last time I did. Might never have done in fact. It kinda depends what the hell you are talking about. I googled the term, got nothing apart from a link to this thread. Is this actually a thing, and if so, what?

The Grand National is a race for gelded livestock.

If there was no racing there'd be no race horses, either sex, gelded or otherwise, or not in the UK. There would also be a hell of a lot less jobs and money coming into the UK.
Unless anyone is a vegan, suck it up.

What has the best life - a bullock reared on a UK farm (or, God forbid, in a US stock yard), to 18-24 months old and then go for humane slaughter, or a race horse which the odds say will live into it's teens?

I'm assuming this is something to do with unsolved murders in Texas rather than the horrors inflicted on an industrial scale by the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia? Doubtless horrific for those directly affected, but in the grand scheme of things... worse things happen at sea.

How many this year , 63 since 2000 , 4 Last year :(
Source? According to wiki, One horse (Hill Sixteen) died in the race last year. According to Animal Aid 15 have died as a result of competing in the race since 2000. You may be quoting figures for the whole 3-day meeting?

Source? According to wiki, One horse (Hill Sixteen) died in the race last year. According to Animal Aid 15 have died as a result of competing in the race since 2000. You may be quoting figures for the whole 3-day meeting?
Yes the 3 day meeting

Yes the 3 day meeting
For your info then, the Aintree meeting starts today, not Saturday.

You do realise these animals are bred to race, well cared for, loved by the staff that take care of them everyday.

The racing authorities have reduced the number of horses that can race in the National, made the fences smaller and far more forgiving than in days gone by.

How much horse racing do you watch, we watch most days, whether we have had a bet or not. Jump racing is not our favourite, much preferring the flat, better horses and usually closer finishes.
It might surprise you to watch racing, we often see horses continue to race and jump even when the jockey has fallen off, not all, some do go round the fences or alternatively try to get back to the stable area.
Yesterday while watching racing, the horse we had backed looked beaten as the other horse just got past him in the last furlong. You could see our horse didn't want to be beaten by the way he urged himself on to win on the line. The horse in question was Capstan if anyone is interested.

As to comparing a horse race to what happened in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge is beyond belief and shows your disrespect for those that died. Innocent people tortured to death, babies smashed against a tree, many of the population up routed from their city homes and sent to work in the fields, does that sound like a horse race?

Last edited:
@Dogberry Check up on the type of whip that is used nowadays, be lucky to kill a fly with it. Jockeys are limited to how many 'strikes' they are allowed and where they are allowed to hit. Nowadays a whip is used more for controlling the horse, don't forget race horses are half a ton of muscle, again I watched a race over 5 furlongs (sprint) a couple of days ago, a false start was called, many of the jockeys were unable to pull their horses up before they had crossed the winning line.

@Dogberry Check up on the type of whip that is used nowadays, be lucky to kill a fly with it. Jockeys are limited to how many 'strikes' they are allowed and where they are allowed to hit. Nowadays a whip is used more for controlling the horse, don't forget race horses are half a ton of muscle, again I watched a race over 5 furlongs (sprint) a couple of days ago, a false start was called, many of the jockeys were unable to pull their horses up before they had crossed the winning line.
Thanks.
I've had a look at BHA.Its difficult to see why it's use is still permitted if it has little or no effect on
performance.
"World Horse Welfare and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), who advise the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) on welfare issues, do not support the use of the whip for ‘encouragement’"

For your info then, the Aintree meeting starts today, not Saturday.

You do realise these animals are bred to race, well cared for, loved by the staff that take care of them everyday.

The racing authorities have reduced the number of horses that can race in the National, made the fences smaller and far more forgiving than in days gone by.

How much horse racing do you watch,None . we watch most days, whether we have had a bet or not. Jump racing is not our favourite, much preferring the flat, better horses and usually closer finishes.
It might surprise you to watch racing, we often see horses continue to race and jump even when the jockey has fallen off, Is that herd / pack instinct not all, some do go round the fences or alternatively try to get back to the stable area.
Yesterday while watching racing, the horse we had backed looked beaten as the other horse just got past him in the last furlong. You could see our horse didn't want to be beaten by the way he urged himself on to win on the line. OR fade away due to exhaustion The horse in question was Capstan if anyone is interested.

As to comparing a horse race to what happened in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge is beyond belief and shows your disrespect for those that died. Innocent people tortured to death, babies smashed against a tree, many of the population up routed from their city homes and sent to work in the fields, does that sound like a horse race?

Horses are bred to race and in most cases make ££££ , What happens when they don't make ££££ , Also the horses have no choice if they are going to race , The bigger the winnings the greater the distance the horse will travel to make the owner / owners more ££££ .

Enjoy your event

I have removed the S from the title apologies , Now field ( Aintree )

skynews-trainer-gordon-elliott_5290407.jpg

https://www.horsedeathwatch.com/ - records horse deaths while ridden at UK races:
"Animal Aid's Race Horse Death Watch was launched during the 2007 Festival. Its purpose is to expose and record every on-course thoroughbred fatality in Britain.

The horse racing authorities have failed to put clear, unambiguous horse death information into the public domain, preferring to offer complex statistical data rather than specifying, as Death Watch does, the names of killed horses, where the fatality occurred, who was riding the horse and the nature of the injury."

advertisement

Back