advertisement

Killing field day this Saturday

Is it cruel? I honestly am not sure.
No. Stick a horse in a field and it will run and jump, and roll around. A horse that doesn't want to race will refuse. A horse that ships the jockey out of the side door will continue to run and jump.

As @Mick P mentions upthread, these horses are quite rightly treated as elite athletes. I'd imagine that there are far worse issues with animal welfare occurring up and down the country, but out of sight = out of mind.

Disclosure - I have interests in several (jumps) horses and trainers. I have had horse fatalities and it is utterly devastating but they're more likely do it on their own out in a field than on a race course and that is a fact.

No. Stick a horse in a field and it will run and jump, and roll around. A horse that doesn't want to race will refuse. A horse that ships the jockey out of the side door will continue to run and jump.

As @Mick P mentions upthread, these horses are quite rightly treated as elite athletes. I'd imagine that there are far worse issues with animal welfare occurring up and down the country, but out of sight = out of mind.
yeah right I believe you not.

another one running with blinkers on

Horses are prey animals. It's instinctive for them to try not to be the slowest.
They are certainly herd animals and the herd instinct is to copy what the rest do. A race is an artificial stampede which is why a riderless horse will continue to run because the rest of the herd is running. If all the jockeys were unseated all the horses would revert to a walk or just stop to graze.

I honestly could not give a damn. The GN is a national institution and if a bunch of moaning protesters don't like it, then tough.
Mick P has been blinkered ever since he became besotted by that Grantham gargoyle.

Dunno why he hasn't sounded off because sunak wants to ban the sale of cigars...

latest

Horses are bred to race and in most cases make ££££ , What happens when they don't make ££££ , Also the horses have no choice if they are going to race , The bigger the winnings the greater the distance the horse will travel to make the owner / owners more ££££ .

Enjoy your event
Thank you for removing the S from fields.

Can you show me were most horses make £££. As far as I'm aware most owners lose money every year. The percentage of horses that make money is very, very low.
Many horses are re-homed, kept by their race owner.
Have you ever seen a horse not come out of the starting stalls, or not wanted to go in, I have many times, they can be stubborn b------ds.
Horses can travel from here to Australia to race and I'm sure they travel in great comfort with someone on hand at all times to care for there needs.
Sheikh Mohammed (Godolphin) send many of his horses to winter in Dubai, not bad if you're a horse.
As for owners making ££££ I read the above named Sheikh spends £1 million a day to enjoy his hobby.

@calorgas I can only agree with you over the photo of trainer G Elliott posing for a photo of a dead horse, disgraceful.

The race horse community were outraged by this photo and he did get banned. He did admit to a 'spare of the moment thing', and apologised.

He did admit to a 'spare of the moment thing', and apologised.
Yeah fair enough. Totally normal to see a dead horse and decide to sit on it while you take your call. And why not pose for a photo why you're at it? We've all done it I'm sure. It doesn't indicate a callous disregard for animal welfare at all right?

And it's a total coincidence that when Panorama investigated race horses being sent to an abattoir for slaughter they discovered three were from his yard.

People can read too much into this stuff. And anyway.. he's apologised!

That Elliot bloke is filth. Christ knows what goes on his stable. Its all about the coin to be made.

Prize money this year for the top 10

• 1st - £561,300
  • 2nd - £211,100
  • 3rd - £105,500
  • 4th - £52,700
  • 5th - £26,500
  • 6th - £13,200
  • 7th - £6,800
  • 8th - £3,600
  • 9th - £2,000
  • 10th - £1,000

It doesn't indicate a callous disregard for animal welfare at all right?
That's presuming that the person in question even believes in animal welfare in the first place. It may gall you, but the majority of the population of the world don't see animals as anything other than things, they certainly don't attribute them with feelings or anthropomorphize them.

Prize money this year for the top 10

• 1st - £561,300
  • 2nd - £211,100
  • 3rd - £105,500
  • 4th - £52,700
  • 5th - £26,500
  • 6th - £13,200
  • 7th - £6,800
  • 8th - £3,600
  • 9th - £2,000
  • 10th - £1,000
I'll refer you to my post above No. 53. At least 20% of those winnings will disappear in payment for the trainer, jockey ect. Winning half a million is very nice, but that doesn't mean it will cover the horses costs throughout it's lifetime including purchase price.

How much do you think these horses cost to buy and train?

150,000 people expected to attend Aintree over the 3 days this year.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back