advertisement

Is vinyl still worth the cost and inconvenience?

Putting together a digital replay system good enough to rival even a modest vinyl replay system is very expensive!

Quite the opposite!!! Even a supermarket DVD player for £30 quid used as a CD player will beat any and all budget vinyl front ends. I would say a Planar3 with a £100 cart would be about the minimum spend on vinyl for it to even be compared to cheap cd.

Quite the opposite!!! Even a supermarket DVD player for £30 quid used as a CD player will beat any and all budget vinyl front ends. I would say a Planar3 with a £100 cart would be about the minimum spend on vinyl for it to even be compared to cheap cd.

Conversely, even an AR XA turntable with a Shure M91ED cartridge is enough to show its tail to budget CD, for the things that vinyl does well (i.e. not classical).

Conversely, even an AR XA turntable with a Shure M91ED cartridge is enough to show its tail to budget CD, for the things that vinyl does well (i.e. not classical).

An AR XA with a Shure M91ED can beat the pants off any modern budget setup, so I'm not quite sure about the analogy.

I don't have any complaints with the real costs to produce and sell vinyl. It's the 30% mark-up just because Christmas is approaching that I have an issue with.
I'm surprised that decent budget turntables came back so quickly, I had expected turntables to become the preserve of the super rich before disappearing completely. I imagine the profit margins for manufacturers must be fairly good.

Even a lowly iphone wipes the floor with the Linns, SMEs and Walkers of this world if fidelity to the source is what we are looking for. Vinyl is sugarcoating for listeners who are unable to handle the musical truth.

Even a lowly iphone wipes the floor with the Linns, SMEs and Walkers of this world if fidelity to the source is what we are looking for. Vinyl is sugarcoating for listeners who are unable to handle the musical truth.

Once again: source first, i.e. mastering > format. It really is that simple. As an example a cheap MM cart on say a Planar 3 will slaughter high-res digital, and I mean utterly slaughter it if the record is a nice US original Blue Note and the digital the RVG Edition. If you are serious about music you need multiple sources.

Once again: source first, i.e. mastering > format. It really is that simple. As an example a cheap MM cart on say a Planar 3 will slaughter high-res digital, and I mean utterly slaughter it if the record is a nice US original Blue Note and the digital the RVG Edition. If you are serious about music you need multiple sources.

That's why I keep an 8-track player and a player piano handy... :)

Indeed. How many streaming services and hi-rez download sites let you check the provenance of the recordings?

An AR XA with a Shure M91ED can beat the pants off any modern budget setup, so I'm not quite sure about the analogy.

320K MP3 would beat that!

I'm a big fan of vinyl and a manufacturer of phono stages but personally I wouldn't bother with vinyl if only using something such as the above.
The minimum requirement to me is a MC cart of over £3-400 and a deck and arm that can allow it to work properly.

I will never sell my LP12, ever, but I am at the point, where I play records on a handful of occasions every year. It is like a vintage car you keep in the garage and bring out on occasional sunny days. The biggest issue for me is actually the sheer space vinyl takes up, I would rather use the space for other things. Plus there is the fact that a Google Chromecast (£20) feeding a decent DAC produces ridiculously good sound quality these days. Digital really is that good these days and at very low cost.

The current vinyl revival is a curious thing... most seem to want crap sound! Lots of clicks and pops, background hiss and rumble and preferably breaking up loud notes due to mistracking are apparently "the sound of vinyl" to non audiophiles.... When I hear people on the radio saying "...but music just sounds so much better on vinyl" this seems to be what they mean!! When they make a point of saying "and now from vinyl" it usually sounds as I just described... followed by the DJ saying "ah isn't it marvellous! That authentic sound of the clicks and pops...."

I think LPs are for OAPs who need to get up move around ( lift the arm off the record and turn the LP over ) then go back to sit down again ie to force them to get some exercise to keep their heart pumping ;) Modern remote controlled things are for the fit and healthy who dont need the exercise

Do you really mean this?

I was an early adopter of CD, my first player was the top loading Philips/Magnavox CD-100, and can assure you that the CD 100 more than held its own against the Thorens/SME/Shure V15 setup I had at the time.

The current vinyl revival is a curious thing... most seem to want crap sound! Lots of clicks and pops, background hiss and rumble and preferably breaking up loud notes due to mistracking are apparently "the sound of vinyl" to non audiophiles.... When I hear people on the radio saying "...but music just sounds so much better on vinyl" this seems to be what they mean!! When they make a point of saying "and now from vinyl" it usually sounds as I just described... followed by the DJ saying "ah isn't it marvellous! That authentic sound of the clicks and pops...."

Yep. A while ago they did an all vinyl "Pick of the Pops" on R2. Every single record sounded awful. But, apparently, people loved it. "Authenticity" sells. And vinyl is "authentic". Like organic coffee and beards.

People "want to believe". My friend recently got a turntable, and he repeatedly told me how much better it was than his digital source. When I got to hear, though it sounded better than I expected, it was still lacking top end, had far too much (boomy) bass and a general lack of resolution, space, and realism. I thought "maybe his setup isn't as good as I remember". But no. When he moved to the digital source, same piece, the music sounded alive, engaging, and generally superb.

The reason digital took off was partly convenience, but, also because it sounded SO MUCH better than most people's record/tape decks. Not a bit better. WAY better. Cheap digital is good. It's all subjective I know, but the idea that a low-end rega and a £30 phono stage is in any way "better" than any competent DAC is, IMO, a joke.

I often say that "everything is an approximation: you just have to find the approximation you like best". If you like a budget turntable best, I can't argue with that. Hell, listen to all your music through a ring modulator for all I care, but for me the vinyl revival is showing that self-delusion works just as well at the low-end as the high.

EDIT: for context, there are 5,000 records in our living-room.

The vinyl option is very much preferred by me over other options when it comes to older classic rock/prog/blues recordings. For instance, despite the numerous efforts to remaster the Led Zep catalogue, IMO the older vinyl pressings come out on top and by some distance, assuming they are in good shape of course.
I recently borrowed the much sought after dcc cd version of Deep Purples 'Made in Japan' and as good as it sounds, an older vinyl pressing
sounds better IMO.
When it comes to current releases, I opt for cd as its cheaper and more convenient. Have to say the so called ' loudness war' has not done the CD format any favours.
I have recently started to stream with chromecast and it has been a blast. In time I will opt for better streaming kit, in order to get better quality performance.
So for me its not an either/ or scenario.
Slagging those that choose vinyl over cd, or visa versa is a bit of fun and ads spice to the debate, but for me everything is on the table and I will choose the option that best suits my needs.

I recently borrowed the much sought after dcc cd version of Deep Purples 'Made in Japan' and as good as it sounds, an older vinyl pressing
sounds better IMO.

I have the even more sought-after DCC vinyl of that one and being honest a UK Porky 1st press beats it to my ears. As with a lot of Steve Hoffman’s stuff it is very warm and for me lacks a little necessary edge that this title needs. Still very good though and a great investment (its worth about £150-200, I bought it new for £35!), but yet again mastering > format.

I recently borrowed the much sought after dcc cd version of Deep Purples 'Made in Japan' and as good as it sounds ...

Sought-after to the extent of £240, based on recent sale on eBay ... with the vinyl equivalent going for £130

advertisement

Back