advertisement

Is vinyl still worth the cost and inconvenience?

Of the best two source components I've ever owned, one was digital (Naim CDS2/555PS) and the other is analogue (SME20/3A, Koetsu Rosewood K).

I'm lucky because I have a lot (1000+) of good condition, original vinyl pressings.

If I didn't have those, and if I had to come up through the ranks again of Regas and Linns, on balance I'd probably stick to digital tbh.

In answer to the OP's question, no, not a chance, be like going back to using a slide rule or abacus.

It maybe better than digital (streaming Tidal is my digital) to some who remain interested in it for a variety of reasons given in the posts in this thread.

To the vast majority of the public buying a music system it would never be given a second look.

Over on the Naim forum there are several members adding 555DR PSU's (£6,500) to 272 streamer/pre (£3,500) and 250DR power amp which is another £4,00 and when you take into account the average High Res LP is £10 -£15 is that going to sound better than a Rega RP6 Apheta into a decent phono stage and integrated amp at half the price? And I dont really get how getting an LP out of it's sleeve and cueing it up is now considered inconvenient.

...is it still worth the trouble for you?
Given that this is how the question has been framed the answer is easy: well worth it.
Funded by a couple of accident compensation awards/sale of equipment my system sounds better than ever - CTC Garrard SME312 Lyra Delos into Paradise phono. Well known LPs continue to be a revelation on first listen in this system.
Starting from scratch is another matter but I still think vinyl collecting/hifi would be a rewarding hobby.

Did you slip on the way to turning an album over? :eek:
FWIW, I still thoroughly enjoy playing records- more so on the ol' LP12. I leave it spinning and whip the records on and off and the sound is pure nostalgia for me. The Orbe is more of a faff- I gave to stop it to get the clamp on and off.

Who cares how they get played - it's the music that matters....

I care. The music is important, and can be enjoyed on any format (both more or less finite) but the way that music communicates is equally important, and thereby hangs the problem, or even challenge, of getting that nth degree of musical connection. It's an ephemeral thing, but nonetheless is the most powerful driver for audiophiles.

Not for me. As far as I'm concerned high-end vinyl playback seems to be very expensive and appeals mainly to those who love to constantly fiddle, fettle and faff.

I really don’t think it has to be expensive, an inexpensive direct drive turntable ,a cartridge with a relatively flat FR and a quiet phono stage with accurate equalisation, that’s it.
Keith

LP record systems are just too expensive to get really good ones, even half decent cartridges like the Ortofon 2M Bronze cost just under £300 now, cd players on the other hand are not eg my Audiolab 8200cdq that I bought new for just £600 as end of line and a spare cd transport for £100 from Audiolab. A Roksan Xerxes type TT these days costs £2.5K I think? then theres the arm and the phono stage. Just plain silly to spend money that way unless you have so much its just small change

Not for me. As far as I'm concerned high-end vinyl playback seems to be very expensive and appeals mainly to those who love to constantly fiddle, fettle and faff.

High end anything is expensive and believe me, I hate tweakery of any kind. I do concede, however, that quality vinyl transcription is definitely not a 'press to play' scenario.

Nope. Too expensive, too inconvenient.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind having a working Nakamichi deck. :D

Starting from scratch, at today's prices, putting together a vinyl replay system good enough to rival digital replay, is very expensive. It's also inconvenient - is it still worth the trouble for you?

nonsense. My Roksan Xerxes Rega RB300 arm rewired with Vandenhul thru a Musical Fidelity XLPS3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge is I suppose modest and my Audiolab 8200cdq is just as good @ £600 when I got that so you got the order reversed
hi surprised to hear that,im sure a really good phono stage would change that,no offence,regards charlie

As with so much about hi-fi people give an opinion which is fine but so much depends on the bench mark from which you start, its possible to have a better turntable than mine TW Raven AC, Whest Reference MK4,Lyra Titan i but in all honesty until I arrived at my set up I was amazed how much progress you can achieve, now old age compells me to stick.

I would also obtain musical enjoyment from Dual-Rega and any other makes of Turntable,with me its always been a gradual upgrading path.

Some one with a mortgage or children is operating in a different ballpark,as I was years ago.

My true enjoyment came about with improving my electrical supply , good luck to those experts who deride such things, usually without experience.

In my personal opinion I prefer vinyl but so much is about balance rather than cost.
hi,whats the arm,nice kit,regards charlie

advertisement

Back