advertisement

Is vinyl still worth the cost and inconvenience?

I dont think so, in fact I think all formats have their days numbered as streaming becomes more and more. The convenience just out ways everything and the sound is there now. Lets face it who wants to be messing around with media and loading it when the sound is there now, and has even surpassed these formats. Nostalgia will always play a part but its time to move on.

Yes, one of the main reasons we invented this interweb thingie was to avoid having to ship data on a physical media.

Don't think so; in fact I think all formats have their days numbered as streaming becomes more and more. The convenience just outweighs everything and the sound is there now. Let's face it; who wants to be messing around with media and loading it when the sound is there now, and has even surpassed these formats?

Nostalgia will always play a part but its time to move on.

No it ain't (time to move on) and anyway, nostalgia's not what it used to be.:)

I dicked around with streamed music for 10 years before being terminally irritated by the multiplicity of file formats and software and hardware to play them. On top of that the standard tagging systems need manually fixing for classical music files - 80% of what I listen to.
I have gone back to LPs and CDs almost excusively.
OTOH I consider the LP side to now be a hugely over priced fashion business so the LPs I play I have owned for decades and so have my 4 record decks.

Sorry if I’m a late to the post. For me I started out wanting to build a hi res digital 2 channel system. It’s was my dealer who sat me down knowing the warm sound I was after, put on an album played on a Rega Rp3. I had no idea I was listening to an album- whisper quiet without a snap,crackle or pop. When all was done I asked what dac he was he using? He laughed and said,”that’s vinyl”-from there on I was convinced on what kind of system I wanted to build.
I use Tidal for steaming throughout the house while enjoying company or while puttering but when my wife and I sit down to listen to music then it’s vinyl. It’s definitely costly but for us it’s well worth the investment.
Each to their own, sorry for the long winded story.
Dave

but digital holds no limits (eventually :) ), you'll soon (well maybe not that soon but I have no doubt it'll eventually happen) be able to stream vinyl that has been recorded on some of the finest record decks in the world, recorded and shared by other audiophiles through your streaming devices to your system, which will then reproduce that sound as if that source and vinyl was in your room. Come to think of it, when we get to that stage you'll be having live performances in your room forget your record decks and CDs then :D

Since, as Tony says, mastering trumps media, streaming is useless for anyone concerned about sound quality if you can't know the provenance of the recording.

This is my first post btw :)

I love my vinyl... I've been happy living with both digital and vinyl for some time... Since I got the Allo DAC with the RPI I have no use for CD's. Although digital sounds mega, vinyl still wins for that 'mood'. Chilling out, spinning wax. It's just a great thing to do when there isn't anything else to do... lol

Haha.. Thanks for the welcome.

Been in to vinyl since I was little so I like to get a little geeky with it. Not too geeky, just a little... Lol

Can’t give up CD yet.

Will miss the pleasure of having to peel the top barcode seal off the case of a fresh new one from Amazon.

I dont think so, in fact I think all formats have their days numbered as streaming becomes more and more. The convenience just out ways everything and the sound is there now. Lets face it who wants to be messing around with media and loading it when the sound is there now, and has even surpassed these formats. Nostalgia will always play a part but its time to move on.
I always find that with streaming you always feel like you never actual own the material and for decent sound quality you are made to pay for it. Physical media already has the SQ and you get to actual own it. So no IMO as record sales have shown there is life in the old dog yet.

I see this also with Blu Ray, streaming is killing it and is a much inferior product, but it appears many are going with it simply because they do no know the difference.

As soon as one asks a question relying on subjective opinion then there is no definitively correct answer. Questions relating to value, or worth, are just such - in particular, value often relates to how much disposable income a person has. What may be good value for one person is a ridiculous extravagance to another.

Personally, I have less intention (and/or incentive) of abandoning vinyl now than I did ten years ago. For myself, and many others, it is the primary source of quality for an audio system and the quality outweighs the cost.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="I see this also with Blu Ray, streaming is killing it and is a much inferior product, but it appears many are going with it simply because they do no know the difference.[/QUOTE]

There is a very limited choice of music on pure audio blu-ray but having bought a few on the LSO Live label some time ago it is time for me to have another look at their catalogue as I know there have been a quite few additions since my original purchases. Opera on blu-ray is more popular as it provides video as well as high quality audio although limited to 24bit/48kHz. Having recently returned to vinyl I find I am enjoying both bu the best vinyl still seems to have the edge to my old ears.

There's a lot more information on vinyl than even the best turntable can extract. My current TT digs out more music than the very best available could have done when I started collecting LP's and I'm pretty confident that more progress will be made in the future.

advertisement

Back